• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy: Under New Management - Figma Deluxe Golgo 13

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
oh hey, it's sub

I was wondering who they'd get to write this next. Congratulations!
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Welcome! Interesting toy to talk about in your first column. Golgo 13 is just too cool to be too popular nowadays.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
Somewhat ironic that the new reviewer works for one of advertisers here and writes reviews for the site they are advertising for.

Irony aside, the new reviewer seems to know what he is talking about and what he has to say is interesting, but not over the top.

Good job Chris, I look forward to reading future columns.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Somewhat ironic that the new reviewer works for one of advertisers here and writes reviews for the site they are advertising for.

Irony aside, the new reviewer seems to know what he is talking about and what he has to say is interesting, but not over the top.

Good job Chris, I look forward to reading future columns.

Uh.. what? This escaped my notice if it's true.

And who's Chris?
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
Welcome aboard, David!

I imagine the di:stage that comes with Golgo is as big of a pain in the ass to put together as the one that came with Live Stage Miku Hatsune. I couldn't wait to put it together, but by the time I was done I didn't want to look at it again. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Max Factory has a very unexpected lineup on the way for this year. Sure, they've made a couple teen school boys to go with their mix of moe girls, but really starting with Golgo they've got quite a few manly surprises coming up. SunRed, Gag Manga Biyori, Kamen Rider, and even JoJo's are getting the figma treatment.

This is going to be an expensive year...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
Damn. A fine figure for a fine start. I've been pretty damned tempted to get it and reading this might just push me over the edge. Welcome to the column... and damn you and your review! Evil or Very Mad -shakes fist-
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
Hi, guys. This is the author. I'd just like to clear up that other than shopping there, I have no connection to Big Bad Toy Store or any other ANN sponsor. My blog can't afford no ads!

In any case, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the review. I'm looking forward to doing some more.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote
I remember wanting this Figma heavily when I first saw it for sale, I mean, it's goddamn Duke Togo. But its price tag is a bit high for me.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:40 am Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:
Hi, guys. This is the author. I'd just like to clear up that other than shopping there, I have no connection to Big Bad Toy Store or any other ANN sponsor. My blog can't afford no ads!

In any case, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the review. I'm looking forward to doing some more.

I guess Teriyaki Terrier was barking up the wrong tree.
Heeyoooooooo!

Good review. I'm def going to check this one out.
Shirogane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
Nice review and a good start!

I never read any of the Golgo series, but the toy looks interesting. The suit of the figure looks pretty good and it is nice that there is plenty enough leeway for posing.

But, I'm a little confused. What series does the little cat like thing at the end come from? Very Happy I can't place it.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:
I have no connection to Big Bad Toy Store or any other ANN sponsor.

Didn't think you did, but $49.99?!? Shop around, folks. You can save yourself at least $7.

When I saw your "completed" paper craft project, I laughed out loud. Not because of your lack of skills, but the tape adorning the set. Believe me, I had to apply tape as well. Even with a little craft patience myself, this set was very difficult to put together.

Did Max Factory really think this set could be applied without tape/glue support? I had originally decided to keep it all within its plastic protection, but the photo on the box finally got to me and I just had to put it together.

A little caveat to those thinking of buying this: the paper stage actually takes nearly a third of the di:stage area. In addition, the paper floor covering will remove many access points for the posing sticks which hold those phrases as well as the city back drop.

The paper table which adorns it will take even more room that's remaining on the stage. I now know why the photo on the box has the poor figure standing so far back. It's very tricky to apply a different pose to the stage if standing isn't what you want. The kneeling pose, for example, won't really work as the window of the paper set is a little too high, but you can make it work.

Of all my figma figures, this one is the second best in the collection. It's awesome, even without the paper stage. Since the figma line is less expensive than other lines from Max Factory, if you're thinking about getting it, do so quickly. These figma characters tend to sell out quickly, and when they do, they're marked up.
if you're curious about the best in the collection, that honor goes to Drossel. Golgo 13 will be around a bit, as it was just released, but if you're going to throw down $50, buy Drossel first. You won't regret it.

For anyone curious about figma, visit the the official website.

With that, welcome David. Though, I don't know if I'll ever be able to forgive you over the "prominent bulge" remark. Do you realize how impossible it is to "unsee" that?? All kidding aside, welcome to Astro Boy. Looking forward to your future reviews.
The cat in the last image is bugging me. I've seen it. I just don't remember where!
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
Whoah! That guy does look Massive when you pose him sitting down. Great job on your first column. Will we be seeing some Gunpla/Gundam toy reviews in the future?
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, I hope what I'm about to say ain't blasphemy...but what the hell. Smile I think Neco-Arc has much higher photo potential than ol' Krauser. :3 The last pic proved it.

Which begs the question...was a Neco-Arc Chaos toy ever produced?
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Shirogane wrote:
But, I'm a little confused. What series does the little cat like thing at the end come from? Very Happy I can't place it.

That's Arcueid, from Tsukihime. Dunno why she looks like a cat, though. Anime hyper
Rednal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
So we lost Krauser, but got Arcueid instead. ^^ That's not such a bad trade-off. And an interesting column to start off with; I'm looking forward to seeing what the next item will be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3