• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Reduces Staff with Layoffs, Furloughs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
That's too bad. Guess this means we should order MB titles to help support them, and maybe encourage more orders. It sounds like this is likely large retail accounts, so everyone get to your local bricknmortar retailers like Best Buy/HMV/whoeverelse still carries anime dvd's.

MB's titles are some of the best deals on the market, so I hope they make it through this small bump at retail, and hire back their furloughed employees.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
sad, i think that media blasters is underrated
Dimlos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least they seem to want to bring the employees back, if they can.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
sad, i think that media blasters is underrated

Yeah, they dub most of their anime, and generally keep prices pretty low, and have a lot of classics like Berserk, Magic Knight Rayearth and Ruroni Kenshin that've been kept in print for years. They have a massive catalogue of overlooked titles.

A ton of their boxsets are in the 20-40 dollar range [Berserk and Rayearth both had remasters recently at a 40 dollar price per set].

Well worth checking out. I think I might go order Girls High now [I already had GaoGaiGar box 2 on order before reading this].

Boxsets and titles of theirs at the 20 dollar price range people might want to go order now to encourage retailers-
-Teknoman [43 eps for 20 bucks! Dub only, but an insane deal]
-Giant Robo [super classic complete OVA series]
-Girls High
-Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix [a really classic show, and dubbed!]
-The Gokusen
-Loveless
-SukiSyo
-Ramen Fighter Miki
-Mouse
-Green Green
-Gakuen Heaven
- Princess Princess
-Aoi and Mutsuki [Space Pirate Mito S2]
-Golden Boy OVA [2 disc set]
-Kirameki Project OVA 2-pack [it's like if Big O and Sailor Moon made friends..... and played with giant dollies]
-Step Up Love Story [aka Futari H aka Manga Sutra]

24.95-
-If I see you In My Dreams
-IRIA OVA boxset
-Here is Greenwood OVA boxset
-Midori Days
-Grenadier
-Kite/Mezzo boxset

30 dollar tv anime boxsets-
-GaoGaiGar sets 1 and 2 [25 eps each]
-KashiMashi: Girl Meets Girl
-Sadamitsu the Destroyer
-Shrine of the Morning Mist [Asagiri no Miko, based on the manga from Tokyopop]
-Mirage of Blaze [litebox- 34.95]
- Sentimental Journey
- Seraphim Call
- Kujibiki Unbalance [w/Genshiken OVA]

Complete OVA's at 19.99 (Single disc)
-Angel Sanctuary OVA
-Blame
-Detatoko Princess
-Magical Witch Punie Chan
-Eight Cloud Rising
-Fight Iczer One
-I Shall Never Return
-I'll CKBC [based on the Shonen Jump basketball manga from the creator of Letter Bee]
-Fake [well, 24.95]
-Jungle Emperor Leo
-Tatoon Master

OVA's At 14.99-
-Shinesman
-Early Reins
-Elf Princess Rane [a must own in my book]

Also really good at 10.00-
-Sailor Victory
-Twin Signal
-Voogie's Angel

OVA's also at 10.00 that are slightly more obscure-
- Space Travelers
-Cleopatra DC
-Marriage OVA

Most of these shows have trailers here on ANN too.
They also have a wide range of domestic and asian horror titles and live action japanese titles. There's more titles besides these, so be sure to check out http://www.rightstuf.com for a little more information, or their own website at http://www.media-blasters.com/

Fans of adult anime like Yaoi (BL titles are under the MB label, while shows with more mature content are under their adult label) and Hentai might also want to check out their Kitty Media titles- they've released a fairly large number of these sorts of titles (not a hentai fan, but I'm amused Sirabella calls Bible Black the Naruto of Hentai- they're apparently filming a live action coproduction of it).

edit- Invader Zim looks to be OOP at the moment.

Last edited by Paploo on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:34 pm; edited 5 times in total
Almaz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
They do have many great licenses under their belt. Unfortunately, I am caught up with everything I want from MB, and the other titles coming out are meh or months away. I could add more great titles to the previous list; however, the list would be long.

Last edited by Almaz on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
NO, what is this world coming too. Laughing If Media Blasters closes down then we will never get all those shows that we never thought would get a dub and a R1 release, released.

It's sad really, I like their releases and they are like the fall back plan for when other companies fail to bring what you like. I really like what they license and their recent efforts to dub shows is outstanding. It would really suck to see them go. I mean, they have most of the original cast that dubbed The Familiar of Zero and I would like to see them pic that one up.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, guess they won't be acquiring anything new in the meantime then. Also makes me glad that I grabbed my copy of Moribito now, I'd really hate to see that one go out of print someday.
Almaz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
I mean, they have most of the original cast that dubbed The Familiar of Zero and I would like to see them pic that one up.

Did MB do the dub in house for Geneon or did they use a specific studio for FoZ? I am ignorant on that fact.

wandering-dreamer wrote:

Hmm, guess they won't be acquiring anything new in the meantime then. Also makes me glad that I grabbed my copy of Moribito now, I'd really hate to see that one go out of print someday.

MB has several new titles that haven't came out yet. Moribito was excellent story with animation to match. I heard the storyline continues in the novels.

Last edited by Almaz on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
I mean, they have most of the original cast that dubbed The Familiar of Zero and I would like to see them pic that one up.

Did MB do the dub in house for Geneon or did they use a specific studio for FoZ? I am ignorant on that fact.

MB did not dub Familiar of Zero, they just use the same studios in New York and LA as Geneon had, so there's lots of voice actor crossover. Obscure but beloved Coastal Carolina has also done work for them like Shinesman and Virtua Fighter. They don't dub in house like ADV and Funi, but rather opt to use outside studios like BangZoom or NYAV when it comes time to make a dub.

Last edited by Paploo on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hiyugi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah when I went to my local Anime Store this weekend, he told me that hardly any people buy media blasters DVDs much and he said that his vendors (which I think he said AAA Anime) that normally stocks them never have them in stock either. He was really worried about their condition too.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

I'm not sure, but I think the Geneon used a studio themselves for it and didn't have other companies help them. But judging from Media Blasters most recent dub, Immortal Blade, there is quiet a few of the cast off of FoZ in there. Making me think they would pick up The Familiar of Zero season 2 and 3. Like they did with Ikke Tousen season 2 and 3. That would have made this year one that much better for me. Smile

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:

They just picked up Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Huntik and also announced Ikki Tosen Great Guardians awhile back, and likely had other titles slated to be announced before this, so I guess their slate will continue to be full for awhile. I imagine there might be a slight gap for newer announcements after their already announced titles are completed if the changes don't go well.
Almaz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Hiyugi wrote:
Yeah when I went to my local Anime Store this weekend, he told me that hardly any people buy media blasters DVDs much and he said that his vendors (which I think he said AAA Anime) that normally stocks them never have them in stock either. He was really worried about their condition too.

I would expect MB is keeping the number of copies low so they would not have a lot of inventory out. MB has been on life support for a while now. About a year ago, MB was talking like they were doing well. I know it can take a while to get MB DVDs, on occasion, from the Right Stuf online. I have that problem with all of the companies lately so I just patiently wait now.

Last edited by Almaz on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
Hiyugi wrote:

I would expect MB is keeping the number of copies low so they would not have a lot of inventory out. MB has been on life support for a while now. About a year ago, MB has talking like they were doing well.

I don't really know if AAAnime is any indication of their sales levels [Sirabella posts at AnimeonDVD sometimes, and has said Voltron, Teknoman and Loveless are pretty solid movers for them for example, with Loveless doing so well they are considering dubbing it, but want to wait until the subbed boxset slows down a bit since it's still a really great seller for them], but it's apparent some large accounts [Best Buy?] might not have ordered as much of their slate as they usually do given this announcement. If this affects print runs, then fans of their upcoming titles like Queens Blade and Kanokon might want to order those ASAP
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
Hiyugi wrote:

I would expect MB is keeping the number of copies low so they would not have a lot of inventory out. MB has been on life support for a while now. About a year ago, MB has talking like they were doing well.

You never know, they can rake in some cash with the show they plan to release this year and they are getting more fans because of their decision to go back and dub Beat to Death Angel (which I think was a smart move and I really like that show). Also, some random trivia, the main Heroine in Beat to Death Angel kills and brings back to life the main character 38 times...... I know I counted.

If you want to hear more wierd trivia. Through the course of te dub of both BLack Lagoon seasons, they used the work "F***" 259 times.... yeah you heard right exactly 259 times, not 260 but 259 times. If you don't believe me go back and count or just watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwaPSkjXp0. It blows my mind to think they fit that many Fu**s into a 24 episode series and that doesn't count all the other foul language. lol Laughing

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4