• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Eclectic Sheep

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I thought it was Sony's policy. The Japanese version of FF XIII costs $100 compared to $60 for the US version. Removing the Japanese track discourages reverse importation and protects this price differential.

Possibly. But there are games on Sony consoles that have the Japanese language track intact. I just haven't ever seen this on a Square game.

SO:TLH International has JP audio. Though hopefully it's a sign of leaving in the JP track for future releases, and not just an exception.

The Japanese really need to get over their fear of reverse importation; it's always been unfounded. Aside from that though, it's not even an issue regarding FFXIII. The game was on sale recently in Japan for 2,222 yen. (in honor of some date/holiday) Don't know what the price point is now, but there's no way it's back up near a hundred dollars.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I really expected a FF13 review, instead of Mega Man 10. Anime hyper

Well, regardless, 13's already in my possession, and MM10 soon will be. :3
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably get Mega Man 10 after payday. I love the previous Mega Man games on the NES, and I liked 9 even though it was a little too hard that it had to be.

I want to get the new Pokemon games, but I need to wait to see how I will get back from from tax return. If I get enough after I use it for what I need I will probably gets them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Random thing I just noticed: On the "cover" of Mega Man 10, it's continuing something from the Dark Void Zero cover of having dragons shoot things from strange places in their intentionally crappy art. In DV0, it was a dragon shooting green lasers out of its nostrils, and now, it's shooting lasers out of its breasts. If this is a trend, dare I ask what's next?
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
The Japanese really need to get over their fear of reverse importation; it's always been unfounded.

This.

Besides, we've had Japanese tracks on our anime DVDs for who knows how long. I don't see why they can't just do the same thing for video games.

Honestly, I'd buy a lot more if they did. Sure, I can play the original Japanese versions, but that means I have to region-disable my console somehow, not to mention that I can't be bothered to read that much kanji.

(Though I'm enjoying Mirai Nikki 13th just fine even without voices!)
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I really have to thank you for this column. I've been so far out of the loop, I had no idea about many of these RPGs and games due to come out this week. What an amazingly great week for JRPGs.
Dmysta3000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I honestly do not get why people feel so strongly about there not being an option for japanese voices in FFXIII. I mean, whats the big deal? From the clips of the english voices that I've seen, most of the voices are pretty good, some I would even say are excellent. So whats up with all of this? Confused

By the way, Hakan = Freaking Awesome Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
A sweet time for RPGs, yes!

Metal Max: Speaking of Wild Arms, I'm still waiting for them to announce WA6. Wishful thinking. This game seems awesome too.

Megaman 10: I still need to play 9 first before I can judge this one but I just can't download on my systems. At least music is one thing the old series never fails to impress me with.

Fragile: I think this one is a highlight game, if only because it puts a twist on the genre.

Infinite Space: This could definitely give sci-fi fans a good time for their money. Building your own starship sounds like fun.

Resonance of Fate: From what I've seen and heard, this definitely is winning its own fanbase. The battle system is pretty killer too.

Spectral Force Genesis: At least the Spectral series is awesome with its world-building and characters. Spectral Souls rules highly. This is a series that needs more love. Idea Factory ftw!
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
Dmysta3000 wrote:
I honestly do not get why people feel so strongly about there not being an option for japanese voices in FFXIII. I mean, whats the big deal? From the clips of the english voices that I've seen, most of the voices are pretty good, some I would even say are excellent. So whats up with all of this? Confused

I don't know about others, but it's not so much my disinterest in the English cast as my interest in the Japanese cast that drives me in this case.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:03 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Besides, we've had Japanese tracks on our anime DVDs for who knows how long. I don't see why they can't just do the same thing for video games.

Honestly, I'd buy a lot more if they did. Sure, I can play the original Japanese versions, but that means I have to region-disable my console somehow, not to mention that I can't be bothered to read that much kanji.

I'm not sure which console you're referring to, but at least the PS3 is region free for gaming. It only locks out movies that aren't region 1, but luckily for the HD generation, Blu-Ray R1 includes Japan. \o/

Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Dmysta3000 wrote:

I don't know about others, but it's not so much my disinterest in the English cast as my interest in the Japanese cast that drives me in this case.

This. ^

And as much as I've heard of the English, it's mediocre, as usual. I'm sure I'd be able to play through the game just fine without my ears bleeding, but in this day and age, you'd think they'd be doing everything they can to encourage more sales. And when they've got the room (they only used 38GB out of 50GB on the Blu-Ray disc), there's no reason they couldn't have had a dual-language option. And as someone else said, I have Star Ocean 4: International, which is Square-Enix, and is dual-audio. What bugs me is that as much as it's great that Xbox360-only owners get to play FFXIII, I'll always wonder if S-E would have put the JPN audio in the game if it had remained PS3-exclusive. I guess whenever Versus XIII comes out, we shall see.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
I'm not sure which console you're referring to, but at least the PS3 is region free for gaming.

Well, that's good news at least. I don't currently own a PS3, but I will certainly keep this in mind when the time comes for me to decide whether or not to buy one.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
Heh, I used to watch Fantastic Max all the time when I was little. I'm a fan of the show, even though I'd probably say it's awful if I watched it today. Not to worry; I'm not a member of the Fantastic Max Mafia.

By the way, another reason to get HeartGold/SoulSilver is because all of Nintendo's upcoming Pokémon game tournaments support only HG/SS. The reason is because HG/SS allows you to put up rules and clauses on your local and online battles, as well as adjust the levels of your Pokémon to Level 50 or Level 100, regardless of what level they really are. This is to make it easier and quicker to put together a team ready for a tournament. Nintendo will be using these additional VS. options for their upcoming tournaments.

The other big reason, of course, are the HG/SS Move Tutors. Seriously, anyone who's played a lot of Pokémon battles will have run into the dreaded Bullet Punch Scizor. It's only the tip of the iceberg too.

The biggest reason for the non-Pokémon fan, though, is that many got into Pokémon or back into Pokémon through Diamond/Pearl. Using only Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, a lot of the 2nd-generation Pokémon were unobtainable, such as Teddiursa, Pineco, and Shuckle; and the Pokémon who evolve from them. (Except Shuckle, who doesn't evolve.) A multitude of Pokémon events have occurred, making most of the collectors' Pokémon now available in large quantities, such as Deoxys or Arceus, but these 2nd-generation critters remain beyond the grasp of those who started out late unless they are to buy a used copy of Emerald, which still sells for about $30 to $35--meaning you might as well wait for HG/SS, which is a full UNUSED game that's actually abundant and easily available.

gunshottrigun wrote:
Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver's MSRP is not $29.99, but $39.99 due to the inclusion of the Pokéwalker.

Good, because I thought the Gamestop I had visited was trying to rip me off. The clerk told me they ran out of figurines that came with the preorder, so I was wondering if they were trying to just sucker me out of desperation or something.

I'm going to stop visiting this Gamestop for anything Pokémon-related. Someone always botches something up whenever there's any Pokémon release or event set in it.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Good, because I thought the Gamestop I had visited was trying to rip me off. The clerk told me they ran out of figurines that came with the preorder, so I was wondering if they were trying to just sucker me out of desperation or something.

I'm going to stop visiting this Gamestop for anything Pokémon-related. Someone always botches something up whenever there's any Pokémon release or event set in it.

Cancel your pre-order with GameStop while you still can and pre-order with Amazon. It's $34.99 for HeartGold and $32.54 for SoulSilver.

http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-Software-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0038MVFYC/
http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-SoulSilver-Version-Software-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0038MTE7C/

As for Mega Man 10, it's still a great game and it's still leagues better than Mega Man 5, which was the lowest point of the NES MM titles. The thing is that when you observe MM9 and MM10, you can see just how big a difference there is when Keiji Inafune is involved (MM9) and when he's not (MM10).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
Cancel your pre-order with GameStop while you still can and pre-order with Amazon. It's $34.99 for HeartGold and $32.54 for SoulSilver.

http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-Software-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0038MVFYC/
http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-SoulSilver-Version-Software-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0038MTE7C/

As for Mega Man 10, it's still a great game and it's still leagues better than Mega Man 5, which was the lowest point of the NES MM titles. The thing is that when you observe MM9 and MM10, you can see just how big a difference there is when Keiji Inafune is involved (MM9) and when he's not (MM10).

Keiji Inafune was not involved with Mega Man 10? Wow, so that's why people say it feels quite different.

I prefer to avoid buying things online whenever I can. Even if the shipping is free, it still takes an absurdly long time for packages to arrive--if it arrives to the correct address at all and if someone doesn't steal it from the doorstop because the deliveryman happens to have arrived when no one's home. Even if someone's home, they don't knock or anything. I'm given no notification except e-mail notification, which happens long before the package actually arrives.

I remember buying the Super Mario Sunshine Bundle Pack from Nintendo, which is the game plus a whole bunch of other goodies. It took 10 weeks--two and a half months--for it to arrive from when I was told the package had been shipped. By then, I was convinced that the package had been stolen, or delivered to the wrong house (about 10% of anything delivered to our neighborhood winds up at the wrong house), which pretty much constitutes being stolen. After some time, I saw the package, inconspicuously placed hidden behind a flowerpot housing a large bush.

When they say to allow 8 to 10 weeks for delivery, they mean it.

I'd rather just pay the full price at Gamestop so I don't have to worry about if the package will arrive, if at all. (The package delivery companies seem to all know of the high crime rate around here--or their own unreliability--delivery insurance costs almost as much as the package itself if shipped here.)
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
You managed to convey my thoughts almost exactly on Megaman 10... amazing.
Yeah. its pretty lackluster.

Im waiting for Capcom to stop being pussy and make a full, next gen Megaman like the blue smurf deserves. the reason we get failures like X7, is because they dont improve upon errors. a smart cappy would have improved upon X7. and then improve off of the result.

Classic needs this too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3