• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Homeward Bund

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
you guys? gasoline on the fire? I'm shocked... :devil:
how nice.

ETA. Moribito. $30 wal-mart. Go.
Thanks for the tip guys.

Last edited by ArthurFrDent on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pandadice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
did.. did you say moe = lolicon? D:...

mm.. is Cobra as good as Crusher Joe? Becuase I really enjoyed the Crusher Joe movie and OVAs. I'm liking the remaking of older titles (Terra E, Casshern, Cobra) that we're seeing, and I really hope they do that with Crusher Joe D: (whoa lol, I wrote this before I head y'all bring up Crusher Joe D:. awesome to see others enjoy it)

as far as "ironic" viewing goes... I dunno. I mean, I watched the first ep of the Stitch anime just so I could tell my friends I got that new stitch anime.. then I laughed my way through watching it just so I could compare it to the original <.<.

I mean, the humor of watching that isn't so much like "ohh, this is so terrible", it's more like "dude I can't believe I'm actually sitting through this episode of Stitch"

as for Myster Science Theater stuff.. Like, when I'm watching a movie or TV series with my friends and stuff, yeah I say jokes out loud, and I mean, plenty of times it's not funny.. but I do do that whole commentating on the movie thing, and yeah I'm fairly confident in my quick wit when cracking jokes on the spot during the film :\

Where the production is going? Well, NoitaminA just got stretch to 2 shows a season Very Happy

I dunno about Millennium Actress. I mean, it was okay, but it was so boring and dragged so much. I liked Perfect Blue the most out of Satoshi Kon's works.

Last edited by Pandadice on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
17:20 If you don't vehemently and publicly defend someone else's fetishes, you're the bad guy

Calling it right now, most intriguing, insightful, and in-depth discussion on anime in the history of anime
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Quote:
17:20 If you don't vehemently and publicly defend someone else's fetishes, you're the bad guy

Calling it right now, most intriguing, insightful, and in-depth discussion on anime in the history of anime

That quote attributed to Voltaire comes to mind.

Kind of sad for Media Blasters, they've release quite a few anime that I enjoy. As for their licenses of recent ecchi shows I enjoy, I'm not sure how to feel about that. They're not doing Queen's Blade BluRay, so there's nothing in it for me, but I might feel regret over Kanokon. I think they put too much faith in their live action things. I always felt awkward when the guys at the MB booths told me about them, it's just like "I don't care, it's crap."

I definitely agree with Moribito, Berserk, Twelve Kingdoms and Genshiken, but I also would say get Giant Robo, since you can usually find it for pretty cheap.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
It's very interesting that everyone on the podcast wants more seinen shows, and yet this is the first time you've mentioned manga on the show. Dark Horse and Viz are trying very desperately to try and release seinen manga, and nobody's buying from what I can tell, based on how many titles go on hiatus and never get finished.

If there's an impression that "anime" is dying and becoming too much moe stuff, manga is trying! It needs more support.

Read Oldboy, and Eden, and Berserk, and Emma, Tanpenshu, Path of the Assassin, Ghost Talker's Daydream, Ohikkoshi. There are mature stories for mature audiences out there. They just aren't being animated.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
ABCBTom wrote:

If there's an impression that "anime" is dying and becoming too much moe stuff, manga is trying! It needs more support.

Anime's not dying. This particular aspect of it is just declining so a new type of anime can become popular. 80s was manliness, 90s was angst, 00s was moe... it's too early to guess what the majority of anime is going to evolve toward in this decade.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I usually pay within a couple of dollars of the MSRP because I'm lucky enough to have a local anime shop (Anime Stop in Nepean) whose presence I appreciate and do not take for granted and, as such, wish to support as I like being able to browse physical boxes at a bricks-and-mortar retail location.

Though I don't have a credit card so I generally don't order anime online unless I absolutely have to (like I did for Kannagi, which I paid for with money orders).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mabber36

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
all 4 of these guys have a clear misunderstanding of what moe is
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
ABCBTom wrote:

Anime's not dying. This particular aspect of it is just declining so a new type of anime can become popular. 80s was manliness, 90s was angst, 00s was moe... it's too early to guess what the majority of anime is going to evolve toward in this decade.

I don't necessarily think that anime is dying, which is why I refer to the "impression" that anime is dying. But the podcast discusses the idea that anime is "dying" or that there is a move away from seinen titles to moe titles. Judging from manga, seinen isn't selling in America. You can support more mature stories because they are there. And nobody is buying them. If seinen sells, maybe that will be the wave of this decade.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Justin and Daryl are pretty bang on with their comments that 13 episode series bee shorter OAVs. Most of the single season series that come out now are 3 episodes, or less, of plot -- distributed at the start and end of a series -- and everything else is filler. I'm seeing 2nd episode beach/onsen filler in some shows... that's just unacceptable.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
did.. did you say moe = lolicon? D:...

I think it was moe shows not getting released (see things like K-on), and the complaints about that.
It was about complaining about stuff on the internet.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
ABCBTom wrote:
Splitter wrote:
ABCBTom wrote:

I don't necessarily think that anime is dying, which is why I refer to the "impression" that anime is dying. But the podcast discusses the idea that anime is "dying" or that there is a move away from seinen titles to moe titles. Judging from manga, seinen isn't selling in America. You can support more mature stories because they are there. And nobody is buying them. If seinen sells, maybe that will be the wave of this decade.

I haven't listened to the podcast. After my nightly Hayate no Gotoku and a fifth of Jim, I will. Just responding to the responses right now.

More people need to read Naoki Urasawa's stuff. If he can be the future, everything will be okay.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
They hit the nail on the head. Thank you for putting the fan dumb in their proper place.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
ABCBTom wrote:

Moe is seinen. We want seinen to move away from moeblob, to more original stuff. But original tends to bomb. The people who buy DVDs and merchandise are mostly hardcore otaku, they are the safe market. Whats turned into moeblob was all the harem/magical girlfreind stuff and before that all the (alegedly aimed at kids) magical girl stuff. Do also remeber to add the fujoshi as well, and all the BL fodder anime. There looks like there is less pandering trite as there are now two types of pandering trite.
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
ABCBTom wrote:
Splitter wrote:
ABCBTom wrote:

I haven't listened to the podcast. After my nightly Hayate no Gotoku and a fifth of Jim, I will. Just responding to the responses right now.

More people need to read Naoki Urasawa's stuff. If he can be the future, everything will be okay.

While I disagree wholeheartedly, I do want to make a point before the Bund flame war starts. People need to BUY Urasawa's stuff for it to be the future. You can read something all you want, but he who pays the piper picks the tune. You can love an author very, very, very hard, but pure love alone does not get anime series produced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15