• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Recalls Darker Than Black

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if you could tell us what the problem actually is with the third disc and whether or not a simple disc exchange would do the trick.

Just saying that a store is issuing a recall is only marginally helpful imo.
mckg1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
How did they get their hands on it when the release date is 23 of March and today is March 19th???
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
^Cause they sell the DVDs. All stores get the actual product in advance. They just aren't allowed to sell them until a certain time. Also what was the mistake? Spelling error that accidently means something racist? Accidently added a hentai scene?
ZenErik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I know of a certain anime shop in Massachusetts that routinely puts out their boxsets 1 - 2 weeks before the street date. Other than that, I'm not sure. Consumers that are also store owners or otherwise in the industry?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Well it's a good thing I'm not a fan of the series.

I tried to though! The beginning was wonderful, the characters could've been developed a LOT better, and the ending didn't fit it at ALL.

I feel bad for people that preordered this though... Sucks to have something recalled...
I'd feel more sympathetic if it was a series a thoroughly enjoyed.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes depending on where you place your order you can get stuff before the street date. I know TRSI sometimes sends stuff before the official release date. A lot of items that I have pre-ordered from them I have gotten before the day it's supposed to be on the streets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryusaki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Well...
AT LEAST FUNi is doing some appropriate, unlike Bandai.
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I pre-ordered mine from Rightstuf and was shocked when it got here earlier this week. Haven't seen the episode in question yet, though. I'll be back in a little bit to report my findings...if someone else hasn't already discovered the issue. Wink

Edit reason: Forgot where I ordered the thing! Very Happy Got it from Rightstuf, not Amazon, as I initially thought.

Last edited by wyntre_rose on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
*yoru*

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Does this only apply to the US dvds or are there problems on the UK dvds, too? I've preordered the UK version and now I'm not sure if I should just wait until it gets delivered...
On the other hand, the price will increase if I order it after the release date. -_-
Could someone answer me this question? ^^
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the episode, and the sound blips quite a few times in both the dub and sub track. It never knocks the soundtrack completely out of sync or anything, but it makes the people speaking sound like they're stuttering or something.
Saiki_Thorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
This news makes me really really sad. Sad I have been wanting to own Darker Than Black for a while. I am glad that Funimation did a recall before its release date.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
*yoru* wrote:
Does this only apply to the US dvds or are there problems on the UK dvds, too? I've preordered the UK version and now I'm not sure if I should just wait until it gets delivered...

Without knowing what the actual problem is it is hard to say. It is more likely to be a problem with this pressing - if there was a problem with the material itself it would have affected the original singles also so they have either created a new master for some reason (e.g. cramming more episodes per disc or stripping extras) and messed something up or there's a replication problem.

Since UK discs need to be mastered separately (what with them being PAL and a different region) I'd say our box set is unlikely to be affected. Chances are Manga are just repackaging the singles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
They didn't have a recall for the D.Gray-Man Blu-Ray. Feh. Rolling Eyes

For those who are wondering, Episode 10 has the wrong audio. I hear the problem differs for each person, but for me the audio is like watching a laggy Youtube video. The sound is like five minutes late. And I was talking to one person and they said that the audio for Episode 10 is Episode 11's, which is pretty odd.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
OK, more info:
Robert wrote:
All of the boxes in the first pressing have a defective disk #3. Funimation is going to fix the problems and re-release the box set at a later date to be determined.

http://animecornerstore.blogspot.com/2010/03/darker-than-black-dvd-box-recalled.html

chloes_fork wrote:
Per a very nice and prompt response from FUNi to an email inquiry I sent, the problem is apparently with the video in episode 18 on disc 3

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1743484&postcount=234
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Sometimes depending on where you place your order you can get stuff before the street date. I know TRSI sometimes sends stuff before the official release date. A lot of items that I have pre-ordered from them I have gotten before the day it's supposed to be on the streets.

Also most anime companies, with the notable exception of Viz (because of Warner) do little to actively enforce their street dates. IN fact, they generally don't require retailers to sign a contract requiring them to do so, unlike major movie studios and home video distributors.

You will also often find anime titles on the shelves a week or two early at Best Buy and FYE, as the boxes they arrive in are often not labeled with the street date, unlike major releases. Most store employees are familiar enough with them to know the release dates.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3