• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Twelve Kingdoms

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's definitely a step down from the first two, but I've seen worse.

Yeah so I'm about halfway through volume three and enjoying it now that its really dry start is over, but...

p.89: "road" should be "rode"
p.134: "Ttaiho" lol

Don't they get anyone to read these before publishing them?
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:

Great to see that they're staying on schedule with this, even if the blurb and comments in this listing are actually for the third book. This is also the last arc which actually got animated, so that means that 2011's book, if they keep to the same pace, would be entirely new material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Great to see that they're staying on schedule with this, even if the blurb and comments in this listing are actually for the third book. This is also the last arc which actually got animated, so that means that 2011's book, if they keep to the same pace, would be entirely new material.

I half expected them to drop this series entirely after the third book. It seemed like they ran an especially small print run of the hardback version because it was super hard to find for a while and was selling for crazy high prices on the Amazon marketplace.

I'm also glad they are apparently keeping to the one novel a year schedule. I very much enjoyed the first three and am looking forward to the fourth. One thing is for sure. I'm not going to wait to buy it this time around, I'm going to grab a copy as soon as it comes out.
nursemcquade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Just a few days to the release of the 4th English installment "Twelve Kingdoms: Skies of Dawn". Official release date is March 2, 2010. Looks like it will be a little more expensive that earlier releases with a list price of $19.00US. However, according to Barnes & Noble it will be 656 pages, the longest English release yet. Yeah!! Can't wait!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
nursemcquade wrote:
However, according to Barnes & Noble it will be 656 pages, the longest English release yet. Yeah!! Can't wait!

That's a surprise. The others were pretty short, and they were getting shorter with each volume. I hope that's accurate, since after each of the first three I was ready for more.

I'm looking forward to the new book. Very Happy
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
It's accurate because Skies of Dawn was originally released as two novels rather than one. Thankfully, Tokyopop is releasing the whole story in one shot rather than splitting it over two years. Very Happy

Have my copy ordered, so it should be delivered sometime in the next couple of days. I have another book for review that I really should finish before starting this one, so expect a review later in the month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Amazon finally has some reviews up for the 4th novel that are actually for this edition instead of for the previous novels. All of them so far agree that the story is great, but it looks like they did a horrible job with editing.

That kind of thing really bugs me, but I'm sort of glad to be warned up front about it. Somehow it won't be as irritating as if I came upon a bunch of stupid errors unprepared. I know that may not make much sense, but I know it will work that way for me.

I'll have to wait a bit longer to find out for myself. I ordered my copy from RightStuf, but they didn't have it in stock when I bought it so it will take a little while to get to me. I don't mind a bit of a wait, but I am really looking forward to getting this novel in hand and reading it.
nursemcquade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
All of them so far agree that the story is great, but it looks like they did a horrible job with editing.
That kind of thing really bugs me, but I'm sort of glad to be warned up front about it.

Yes that kind of thing really bugs me too. One or even two in a long novel is one thing but I'm only about half way through and have encountered several errors. It's especially important when it comes to names of people that are very similar as you will see. Still love it though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had a chance to start on it yet because of having to finish up another book first (one about Miyazaki, a review for which should be up in the next few days). Editing errors would be an unpleasant surprise, since the first three books have been edited quite well.

Oh, well. Guess I'll find out over the next week or two.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Amazon finally has some reviews up for the 4th novel that are actually for this edition instead of for the previous novels. All of them so far agree that the story is great, but it looks like they did a horrible job with editing.

That kind of thing really bugs me, but I'm sort of glad to be warned up front about it. Somehow it won't be as irritating as if I came upon a bunch of stupid errors unprepared. I know that may not make much sense, but I know it will work that way for me.

Argh! I HATE bad editing! I just recently reread Anne McCaffrey's first Pern books and I don't even know if she had an editor; the typos and name changes and consistency errors almost drove me insane.

I just got the 4th book in the mail; sounds like I should haul out my red pencil and make corrections as I go.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Woo hoo! My copy showed up today. It's got the uber cheap paper again. It feels more like newsprint than proper book paper, even for a paperback, and I got the hardback edition. But I suppose I should just be glad that Tokyopop has kept releasing this series. I sure hope we get the other three books.

Now it's decision time. Do I dive right into this book or re-read the first three volumes again before I start it? I'm leaning towards the re-read at this point. It's been quite a while since I read the first novel and it looks like this is a continuation of Yoko's story so I think I'll go back and read the other books again.

In any event, the collection of Franz Kafka's stories that I have been working through painfully slowly is going to get put on the back burner for a while longer so I can jump back into the Twelve Kingdoms! Anime hyper
alfi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for someone to catch on to the fact that there is a chapter missing in the Tokyopop version of the book.

Chapter 16 ends on p521 with Yoko forcing the man to lead her to Koshou. Chapter 17 starts on p523 with Yoko leading the attack on Shoukou's mansion.

If you read the original novel (or an unofficial English translation of it) and/or watched the anime adaptation, then you might remember that there should be a chapter in-between those two. In it Yoko meets up with Koshou, Sekki and Suzu, they work things out and Yoko joins their group. And then they start their attacks on Shoukou.

But hey, maybe it's only my copy of the book and I now hold a very rare "missing chapter" edition... ;)
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
No, your copy isn't an exception, alfi. I just turned in my review for the book (expect to see it on the page later this week or early next) and I comment at length about that. If that chapter really did exist in the Japanese release, though, then I may need to adjust the review a bit. (Can you email me a link to a site where it can be found if you happen to know of such a site?)

I can also, unfortunately, confirm the rumors about the typos in the book. There are a lot of them - I didn't keep count, but probably noticed a dozen or more, and that's without counting some questionable use of hyphens in places. This is a shoddy production effort compared to the previous three novels.

I will warn that this book also reads surprisingly fast for as long as it is. IIRC, I popped off the last 400 pages in just a couple of sittings over the course of one day.
alfi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote
Ah! Good (or rather not). I was beginning to think that it was just me, because no one mentioned it.

And it's not just typos that they overlooked (I have the feeling that the only thing the editors checked was the spelling of their names on p2).

One would think that after three books they would know that Hourin (or any kirin with a name ending with -rin) is female.

From p15:
"The kirin Hourin was with them; he was at present lying down, complaining of ill health."

How many mistakes before you can ask for a refund/replacement because the product is "defective"? ;)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9