• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Twelve Kingdoms

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote
Ack, seeing this now I'm going to maybe wait a month or two before buying in hopes of seeing Tokyopop make an announcement on fixing future prints or something. It's doubtful, but I rather have a complete copy.
nursemcquade

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
For those of you who have been holding out for the paperback version of the latest US release of Twelve Kingdoms "Volume 4: Skies of Dawn" it will be released on November 30, 2010. No word yet on if and when the next installment will be out. Hopefully February/March-ish of 2011 (fingers crossed). If anyone gets any news let us know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Already got mine preordered, as I love the series so...but I REALLY hope they fix those mistakes
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:52 am Reply with quote
I really hope they insert the "missing" chapter with the paperback version. Once it's released if someone could confirm whether or not it's there would be great.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
So my paperback copy of Skies of Dawn has arrived and I've glanced through it and I can confirm that Hourin's gender has been fixed and the missing sub-chapter at the end of chapter 16 is back in (Chapter 17 now starts on pg. 531). Yay!
Smart Chick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The paper quality for the paperback is a vast improvement over the hardcover edition as well. I'm wondering for those that have the previous paperback volumes 1-3 is the paper quality good? Or is it still that god awful toilet paper used in the hardcovers? I'm thinking of double dipping on the paperback editions if they have better paper quality.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
It was mentioned earlier in this thread that this was published in Japan as two volumes. Does anyone know where the dividing line between the volumes was?
nursemcquade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
I recently emailed Tokyopop to ask if they had any info on the next volume of "Twelve Kingdoms." I did not expect to hear back from them, but to my surprise a few weeks later I got this email:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the rights for the rest of the novels are back with Kodansha, so it’ll be up to Kodansha USA as to whether we see vol. 5 and onward any time soon. I hope they do choose to continue the series, though, since I’d really like to read it, too!

Thanks for your inqury!

All the best,

~Lillian

I am not sure if this was previously mentioned by anyone, apologies if this is a repeat of info. Let us hope Kodansha USA publishes it! Maybe we could all e-mail them to let them know of our interest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
Wow. Thanks for getting that info to us, but that's... really not good news at all. Sad

I was hoping to read the rest of the series beyond what was animated, but it appears that may not happen. And I really wanted to know what happened to Taiki and see more of what Yuuko is doing in Kei.

I guess I should keep my hopes up, but without an anime to help spur purchases here in the West, we may never get to read the ending volumes of the series.
nursemcquade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
If anyone is interested in emailing Kodansha America and expressing their interest in seeing more of "Twelve Kingdoms" published in english, here are some addresses:

[email protected]

[email protected]

They also have a facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/kodanshaamerica

You never know... It couldn't hurt to drop them a line. Very Happy
nursemcquade

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I got a reply from Kodansha USA on the status and future of the "Twelve Kingdoms" series in English. Here is what they said:

Quote:
I'm Tatsuya Morimoto, licensing manager at Kodansha International Rights Dept.
Thank you for your interest in "Twelve Kingdoms" and we really appreciate fun's great expectations
toward the series.
Right now we have no plan to publish the rest of series in English unfortunately.

But we are still seeking opportunities to make it happen near future ( I cannot guarantee though)

Thank you very much again for your love to the series.

Sincerely

-Tatsuya

So I guess we'll have to just wait and keep our hopes up that they do decide to publish it in English. All I can say is to continue to let Kodansha USA know that there is an interest. In my previous post I put the contact information that I used.
TaikiGohran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I just watched "the Twelve Kingdoms" anime and I thought it was great. I have been trying to find hardcover copies of all the books (1-4). But, everywhere I go they seem to have zero (new) copies available.
Someone might have already answered this, but why is it so hard to find a new hardcover copy of any of the books?

Thanks
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
nursemcquade wrote:
I got a reply from Kodansha USA on the status and future of the "Twelve Kingdoms" series in English. Here is what they said:

Quote:
I'm Tatsuya Morimoto, licensing manager at Kodansha International Rights Dept.
Thank you for your interest in "Twelve Kingdoms" and we really appreciate fun's great expectations
toward the series.
Right now we have no plan to publish the rest of series in English unfortunately.

But we are still seeking opportunities to make it happen near future ( I cannot guarantee though)

Thank you very much again for your love to the series.

Sincerely

-Tatsuya

So I guess we'll have to just wait and keep our hopes up that they do decide to publish it in English. All I can say is to continue to let Kodansha USA know that there is an interest. In my previous post I put the contact information that I used.

What the... the whole point of why I was reading these was because I wanted to see what happened to Taiki!! Well, crap. There goes that.
Littlelittlestar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
We're gathering people to convince Kodansha US to continue the translation, please follow the link

http://juuni-kokki.livejournal.com/108361.html
ridiculus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:19 am Reply with quote
There is a new edition of Twelve Kingdoms in Japan from Shinchousha, the publisher of the first novel in the series, Mashou no ko, and some other Ono works like Shiki. This edition is furnished with the all-new covers from Akihiro Yamada, which, in my opinion, look even better than the first ones.

But one thing puzzles me. I am not sure - not at all - that the books in the series are 'light novels'. Surely, the first edition was under the Kodansha x Bunko White Heart label, which could be categorized as a light novel label, but not necessarily, and the first parts were published a long time ago, when that term didn't even exist.

I have learned many things from Andrew Cunningham, a translator who lived several years in Japan and ran an excellent blog, Eastern Standard, and even he called Twelve Kingdoms a light novel series, but I am still not sure.

First and foremost, Fuyumi Ono is not from that literary 'environment'. There are light novel awards, light novel magazines and such, but she is not associated with them. Some of her books are targated at teenagers, or, more specifically, teenage girls, but does that automatically make them 'light novels'? Is Japanese translation of American young adult fiction also marketed as 'light novels'? Because there are other editions of Twelve Kingdoms, not just this new one, but the one from Kodansha Bunko too.

There are illustrations in the books, but they are so different from the norm, and more like illustrations in western fantasy literature. And they are not necessary anyway.

Her style is much different from those usually found in the 'proper' light novels. There are many kanji, some of them very difficult, like the word for kirin (Chinese qilin): two kanji with 43 strokes total!

I think some books can be marketed both as light novels AND regular novels, depending on the content and the circumstances of the market, and Twelve Kingdoms is one of them.

Some people even categorized Shiki as a light novel Rolling Eyes , but I consider that to be a joke.

If someone could explain this better or had strong counterarguments, I would be grateful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9