• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Studio Shows Designs for New Project in Progress

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dho331

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
shit, i know those characters, just have to think.
dho331

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
it's ghost hound!
tootbrush

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Nope, those are Murata's designs. Hopefully the anime accompanying his designs doesn't suck this time.

GONZO jumping on the 3D bandwagon makes me worry about the project's future though.
dho331

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
Nope, those are Murata's designs. Hopefully the anime accompanying his designs doesn't suck this time.

GONZO jumping on the 3D bandwagon makes me worry for the project's future though.

well it's a ripoff then because face is identical on boy, girl has same ponytail, older sister looking pic, although gundam 00 chick pic doesn't fit (too lazy 4 name) green hair, rich, takes random sides, schenberg focused ship blows up
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
last exile would be awesome in 3d
dho331

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
gonzo is king of failures. at least ending series. trinity blood ruled then had wtf? ending. abel can fly? giant star wars meteor ship? only plot point that made sense would spoil the last 13 episodes
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Still no word on whether they're drawing objects and characters from two viewpoints, or just layering offset flat planes.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
Nope, those are Murata's designs.

Definitely looks that way, but it's strange that they didn't just come out and say that when it's so obviously his art style. That is, unless Gonzo is aping his style which could lead to a very negative reaction from diehard Murata fans.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
albert35077

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
In my humble opinion most 3D projects are going to fail if you have to buy one of the new 3D TV's. However if they can find a way to do it without having to splurge on an expensive new TV it could end up doing quite well.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:

GONZO jumping on the 3D bandwagon makes me worry about the project's future though.

I agree 3D is not going to appeal to everyone and Gonzo is kind of a hit or miss for me, I love RomeoXJuliet and Ghost Hunt, but Glass Fleet was kind of meh.
Matriel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
Hell, I say, "Good for GONZO!" They need to put something out on the shelves, unfortunately, the anime they tend to create don't float well in this current moe-centric market. Don't get me wrong, I love my lolis and moe-cuteness, but many companies are in a sink or float situation in Japan right now. Obviously, GONZO's one of them. I wish them luck. I think they're a great company that creates beautiful moving art.

Emerje wrote:
In my humble opinion most 3D projects are going to fail if you have to buy one of the new 3D TV's. However if they can find a way to do it without having to splurge on an expensive new TV it could end up doing quite well.

Don't you think that if some people still believe Blu-Ray upgrading is too expensive, the companies pushing the envelope yet again with 3-D tech would take this into consideration? Blu-Ray's 3-D specification should allow for complete and total 2-D backwards compatibility.
Quote:
Regarding compatibility, the specification supports playback of 2-D discs in forthcoming 3-D players and can enable 2-D playback of Blu-ray 3D discs on the installed base of Blu-ray Disc players currently in homes around the world.

SOUCE: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3924
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
I agree 3D is not going to appeal to everyone...

Yep, it certainly doesn't appeal to me. It just isn't immersive enough (read: not at all) to justify the extra cost for the consumer, and the conversion process is obviously going to subtract from time and money spent elsewhere in the production, especially in this medium I'd think.

In several years when the various rendering techniques become established and costs bottom out I'm sure I won't care, but the experience is still going to be fundamentally lacking at that point. In the mean time, I'm going to exercise my right to complain about something I'm otherwise almost always for: new consumer technology.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:

Definitely Murata - which is good to hear since he is no longer involved with Mardock Scramble, and yes - I hope they are animated more like the Shangri-la OP than the show itself.
Hopefully this has nothing to do with their 3D project since that is pretty much guaranteed to be a full CG production.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
S0litaire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
dho331 wrote:
well it's a ripoff then because face is identical on boy, girl has same ponytail, older sister looking pic, although gundam 00 chick pic doesn't fit (too lazy 4 name) green hair, rich, takes random sides, schenberg focused ship blows up

Delusional, Range Murata loves doing designs for little kids. It's just a coincidence they happen to look similar.

If Murata is involved in the 3D project then I'm interested. A little skeptical, but Gonzo has done many amazing series before - namely Last Exile. I guess at this point it's impossible to hope for a sequel to that though. Very Happy Don't know if I'd want them to risk ruining it anyway, but the ending was already a let down for me.
rabrek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
S0litaire wrote:
dho331 wrote:

Delusional, Range Murata loves doing designs for little kids. It's just a coincidence they happen to look similar.

I'd note that the guy's a ringer for Dio, the girl in the coat is a close match for Lavie - and Last Exile predates Ghost Hound by 4 years. Range Murata has his types, and he makes good use of them. I don't see much in the way of resemblance to Ghost Hound charas, myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2