• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aria the Origination DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delpheno

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed all three seasons equally. If one thing's for certain, the third season is clearly the best looking one. Widescreen presentation too.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
This is probably the most faithful manga adaptations I've seen, but what is great about it is that Sato wasn't afraid of adding his own artistic touches. This thing is packed with extras, as usual for a Nozomi release.

It is one of my personal favorite series, though I would probably warn a new fan that it benefits from watching the previous installments, and the pace of the show may still be a bit slow for some people. However, this last installment has more plot development than what has come before, and it looks gorgeous upscaled on the blu-ray player.

Of course, I think the entire series worth owning (check avatar) Cool , especially if you are into anime for the art

Great review! Thanks, Carl! Smile
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
...though I would probably warn a new fan that it benefits from watching the previous installments...

(compares avatars Cool)
As one who loves this series, I can't agree watching the previous seasons adds any real benefit to the closing chapters. Ai may be a head-scratcher for some, but The Origination does well to stand on its own.

I say this only because this series isn't for everyone. If watching paint dry sounds exciting, then by all means, watch them all. The very ridiculous, but thought-provoking, niceties this series delivers can definitely be a turn-off to many who find Death Note the greatest anime ever made.

Carl's review sums it up nicely and I have to say I was surprised to see a "B+" given to the art, which definitely was better than the first two series (especially since it got away from the super-deformed character design of The Natural). Though my bias also cringes at the "B+" rating for story, the reality is it's correct. Season 3 sped along and was over before we knew why the hell we're crying.

It truly sucks this series is over, but at the same time, I'm glad. I don't think I'd give it the same kudos if it ran for 400 episodes with Akari being told "No sappy lines allowed!".
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
Sadness? All good series should make you feel sad because of it being over. If only more shows would show the viewers such courtesy instead of continuing until all welcome has been worn out.

If there was one touch I really loved about this show, then that would be spoiler[seeing Akari and Ai-chan reenact the very start of the story (which you can find in the first volume of Aqua and, for some odd reason, in the last episode of Aria the Origination.) Especially nice, considering that Ai-chan became such a popular character with miss Amano that she actually adapted her into the manga.]
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Sadness? All good series should make you feel sad because of it being over. If only more shows would show the viewers such courtesy instead of continuing until all welcome has been worn out.

I agree with this completely. One of the big things I like about anime (and some American shows like Avatar) is that they often have a planned story and then finish it with a definite conclusion. Sure, in some cases there are sequels/prequels/spinoffs, but those can be ignored. Whereas most shows here in America continue until the ratings drop to the point where it is cancelled, at which point we are lucky to even get a rushed ending.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
A wonderful end to the series.
The 4 sets of Aria from Nozomi are probably what I would grab first if I had to make a decision to save part of my collection.
I will agree that I liked Aria the Natural more, probably just because with the Origination, you know the end is coming, and certain events are not too surprising (though still wonderful to watch).

I will also add that episode 5.5 is probably one of the most gorgeous episodes of any anime to look at of any I have ever seen.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I got this set but haven't watched it yet. I need a few more hours in every day. Maybe 27 or 28 hours a day?

Best show to just sit down and relax to. Especially if you've had a bad day. This series could make ANYONE feel a little bit better and smile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently watching the entire series from beginning to end. I started the Animation last night (this will be the third time), and it hasn't lost any of its magic.

In my universe, that's pretty special.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
I'm currently watching the entire series from beginning to end. I started the Animation last night (this will be the third time), and it hasn't lost any of its magic.

In my universe, that's pretty special.

This is your third time watching it? I finished the Origination way back in 2008 and I fell in-love with the series... I wanted to watch it all over again, but I thought since I knew what everything was going to happen, that same magic experience wouldn't be the same... now I know... I'll restart with the Animation tonight! (:
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
Heh. I'm sitting here with my DVDs paused because I was just talking about Aria in IRC and came to check if there was a review for Origination... what timing. Good review.

Delpheno wrote:
If one thing's for certain, the third season is clearly the best looking one. Widescreen presentation too

Origination's animation, backgrounds, and attention to detail are all wonderful and the DVDs look fantastic on my HDTV.

And as mentioned, episode 5.5 was a real treat (I didn't even know it was going to be included!).

tuxedocat wrote:
It is one of my personal favorite series, though I would probably warn a new fan that it benefits from watching the previous installments, and the pace of the show may still be a bit slow for some people. However, this last installment has more plot development than what has come before, and it looks gorgeous upscaled on the blu-ray player.
It's my favorite of the three, as well. I was actually wary going into Origination because I didn't like Natural much, but my worries were banished. Episode 9 seals the deal for me--I love that episode (where Alice sings and other stuff happens) so much. Actually just got to episode 9 and I can't decide if I want to watch it now before bed or save it for tomorrow.

<3 <3

sailorsean wrote:
This is your third time watching it? I finished the Origination way back in 2008 and I fell in-love with the series... I wanted to watch it all over again, but I thought since I knew what everything was going to happen, that same magic experience wouldn't be the same... now I know... I'll restart with the Animation tonight! (:
After watching all of Aria fansubs once, I thought the same things, kinda. Nevertheless I enjoyed the series so much I rewatched the Animation fansubs, bought the DVDs a few months ago, and watched those, and now I'm rewatching Origination on DVD. You're right--it won't be the same as the first time you watched it, but for me it's been just as good. You get to pay attention to things you missed the first time, and your hesitation just melts away with your stress as you chillax with some Aria. (b'_')b

the review wrote:
along with two or three picture dramas—barely animated video mangas with enough bad dialogue to hint at how disastrous the series could have been were it not so carefully written and executed.
Oh, come on. XD I thought they were kinda funny, as an omake of course. I liked the one with Akatsuki narrating. XD Agreed that it's a good thing the series didn't follow their lead, but as a little goofy extra I like them.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote

I really should make a few of these with screencaps from Origination.
Delpheno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I actually have one complaint in the series, and it's not that big anyways:

spoiler[The series seemed very Alice-centric half-way through. I remember watching this when it came out and there were like, three or four episodes about her while the rest got one or two.]

But whatever.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:15 am Reply with quote
Having just finished it last night, I have to say that Aria in its entirety was just as beautiful, magical, and poetic as everyone says it is. And that last scene with spoiler[Akari and Ai] was just such a perfect ending. Truly just wonderful.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I've got 3 episodes left! So good. Very Happy I wish there could be more, but I guess 54 episodes is enough. I need to start from the beginning when I'm done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1