• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Network to Simulcast Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaō

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The story of "love, magic, and battles"

Oh god...laughed so hard. That's extremely descriptive.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
This is on my list of titles to watch this season. Looks like I'll be making use of AN now.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't 100% looking forward to watching this unless it was on CR or I heard great reviews. AN is a close second so now I have a reason.

It really takes like 5 minutes to join up. Seriously.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious about AN: is everything free? I thought there was some subscription. Is everything broadcast on TV/cable from AN or partners (not sure about the whatever's involved) also available online? Are the sentai/former ADV dvd releases also available online?
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I'm curious about AN: is everything free? I thought there was some subscription. Is everything broadcast on TV/cable from AN or partners (not sure about the whatever's involved) also available online? Are the sentai/former ADV dvd releases also available online?

1. No, $6.99 a month subscription
2. Some stuff is simulcasted on the VOD services, comcast is likely to have it
3. A lot, I don't know if all are and I think they even have some geneon or other defunct company titles...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
some of their older shows are completely free but not much interesting stuff. I have a TV subscription for cox for the same price as their online (have had it for years).

I'm gonna cancel soon because VOD only gets like 20 or so shows with new episodes every week when their online subs get EVERY show available. If you still wanna watch it on your TV, it seems to work pretty decently on ps3 (last i checked anyway)
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
configspace wrote:

1. No, $6.99 a month subscription
2. Some stuff is simulcasted on the VOD services, comcast is likely to have it
3. A lot, I don't know if all are and I think they even have some geneon or other defunct company titles...

Comcast opted not to renew their contract with Anime Network last year, so they no longer carry it (at least for now anyway.) I suggest if you have Comcast to contact them if you want the channel carried.

Anime Network Online has three levels of programming.

1. FREE - These titles require no payment or subscription. Most of the first episodes of each show are completely free.

2. REGISTERED - There is no fee to register, but creating an free account allows to access to more shows as well as their community section and allows you to post in their forums. If you plan on using the player, I highly recommend registering, as it will allow you to interact more easily with the admins in case their is a problem. The second episode of almost every show is available to registered users, as well as the complete run of many ADV shows.

3. SUBSCRIPTION - This costs $6.99 a month and allows you complete access to everything Anime Network is streaming online, including many of the newest shows from Sentai, license rescues from Geneon and Central Park, and classic titles from Enoki (including Revolutionary Girl Utena) as well as ADV.

However, VOD does get some shows that the online stream does not, most notably titles from Nozomi. TAN does not have digital rights to these shows, so they are available on VOD only. These include Aria, Maria Watches Over Us, Piano, and Shingu.

Anime Network does not currently run commercials on it's streams, neither paid nor free. The videos are can be played in full screen mode and many are available in HD (720p), including all the new Sentai licenses. Several of the non-HD produced shows also have HQ feeds that boost the quality to DVD level video.

For more info : http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Watch-Online/AZIndex
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
@Kyogissun, Kougeru, dragonrider_cody:

Cool, thanks for info! I will poke around a bit. I didn't know that HD versions were available either. I assumed that DVD releases by Sentai also meant being limited to SD streaming.
gorbal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:46 am Reply with quote
I hope that isn't the only one they are simulcasting; it looks like crap. I'm also scared they will think; "Oh this didn't do well won't try this again." just because they chose the wrong series to silmulcast.
andrewgr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
I can't seem to find any mention of whether this is subbed or dubbed? (I'm hoping for subbed.)

And I guess while I'm at it, what about the rest of their content-- mostly subbed, mostly dubbed, even mixture, or what?

Thanks in advance.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
100% sure it will be subbed. Can't see any way to do a simulcast dubbed.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this TAN's first simulcast?

The press release says "Worldwide Premiere" but then says "Check www.theanimenetwork.com for North American Listings".

Does "Worldwide Premiere" mean it is being shown for the first time in the world on the TAN site, or that it will be available to view worldwide?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Seljuk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
gorbal wrote:
I hope that isn't the only one they are simulcasting; it looks like crap. I'm also scared they will think; "Oh this didn't do well won't try this again." just because they chose the wrong series to silmulcast.

Yeah, but then again, this whole season might not be a good time to pick a series to simulcast. I usually have rose-tinted goggles looking into a season, but this time around I'm really having trouble. Oh well.
ShinK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
andrewgr wrote:
I can't seem to find any mention of whether this is subbed or dubbed? (I'm hoping for subbed.)

And I guess while I'm at it, what about the rest of their content-- mostly subbed, mostly dubbed, even mixture, or what?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Watch-Online/AZIndex - Here it says "subbed".

I'd like to know if this show will be available worldwide or is ANN going to do the same crap as Crunchyroll and redline most countries?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
More than likely it will be limited to the North American market. With the exception of the shows that were owned by ADV UK and Enoki films, most Anime Network titles are limited to the US and Canada.

The Japanese tend to prefer to regionalize their streaming and rights licensing. They have a higher potential for profits that way, as opposed to giving everything to one company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2