• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Twelve Kingdoms - Skies of Dawn (novel 4)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
EDIT: I have been provided with this link to an amateur translation of the book which does include the missing chapter. (Reading the style of this translation makes me appreciate the quality transliteration job TP has been doing with this series, BTW.) It seems to confirm that this is a major slip-up either on the part of TP or on the part of the original Japanese publisher for not providing the full text to TP.

Then the question is whether there's any hope that Tokyopop will fix this in the paperback edition. I'd definitely buy it again to get that fixed. I can totally understand if they don't intend to do an entirely new edit of the book to make sure that things like the Kirin's names are correct (as nice as it would be for them to do that), but missing an entire chapter? That really needs to be fixed.

Does anyone know if they've ever fixed anything in the paperback editions before? I've only bought the hardbacks.

penty wrote:
Has TP made any statements about when the next book is due?

I'm not aware that they've said anything official, but if you'll look at the release dates for the previous books, they've generally around March. So, I'd expect that we'll get the next book around March 2011.
scrapps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:

Then the question is whether there's any hope that Tokyopop will fix this in the paperback edition. I'd definitely buy it again to get that fixed. I can totally understand if they don't intend to do an entirely new edit of the book to make sure that things like the Kirin's names are correct (as nice as it would be for them to do that), but missing an entire chapter? That really needs to be fixed.

Man, I hope they do, I'd be willing to double dip on the paperback if they end up inserting the missing chapter.

I'm so torn with this series though. While I really love the novels and I hope TP keeps putting them out, I hate the dwindling quality of these releases. I wouldn't put up with this shoddy of work for normal books, but I want Twelve Kingdoms to continue being printed so I still buy them. Maybe we can all just write letters of disappointment Very Happy
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, if Tokyopop has to degrade the quality just to get it all released, that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Nearly every other (light) novel series from Japan I was reading has been canceled... I think only the Vampire Hunter D novels still are being printed. Shana, FMP!, Kino's Journey, Scrapped Princess, etc. have fallen by the wayside.

I'm willing to accept 12 grammar/content errors if it means the series doesn't get canceled. However.. missing an entire chapter... that's just silly,
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
Theron: knowing now that TokyoPop left out a chapter, would you alter your grade on this in any way?

And are there no TokyoPop reps hanging out on the forums to answer questions the way other companies do?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Theron: knowing now that TokyoPop left out a chapter, would you alter your grade on this in any way?

No, because the fact that there's an omission that big in the production equals the effect on the Overall grade that the chapter simply not existing has. Still think A- only is right for the Story grade given the other factors I discusses in the review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nursemcquade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The lack of extra set-up for Yoko's First Edict/Proclamation makes it feel almost more like an afterthought than something that the entire series to date was building towards (as it was in the anime) and causes it to lose the transformational “changing the soul of a kingdom” quality emphasized in the anime.
I thought that this was a solid review and agree with most of Theron's points. I do however, have a differing opinion on Yoko's First Edict. In the anime they did highlight Yoko's particular uncomfortable feelings on specific things that relate to the edict. The fact that in the book these particulars aren't mentioned until the very (very) end is of no consequence to the heart of the story (to me at least). I do get this transformational "changing the soul of a kingdom" feeling at the end of the book. Perhaps more than that, Ono focuses more on the transformation of the individual and each individual's importance to the fate of a kingdom. All in all I felt the ending of the book was more effectual that that of the anime. I do enjoy your commentary and reviews Key!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ccachu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Um so if I purchase the original series (in japanese) then I will be able to read everything like what happens to taiki and stuff?
i only watched the anime my mom gave to me and of course i was dissatisfied that is stops at episode 45. plus i know everything from the novel is not included in the anime, so i want to read it.

but i heard that the novel series is also discontinued. is that true?

thank you~
(sorry if i post in the wrong forum. im not familiar with posting. *-* )
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, the Twelve Kingdoms novel series is unfinished, but it does extend further in the novel version than the anime did. I hope Fuyumi Ono does eventually finish the story. I love her writing.
ccachu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
ahh i was hoping to hear that it has been completed or at least is continuing~

i hope she finishes it too. i am planning to obtain the series in novel form that i can get while a friend of mine is in japan rather than order it from a bookstore here. i wont be going back to japan for a while so.. ><;;

makes me sooo anxious to read what happens and such.
i keep rewatching the series every chance i can get (its so rare i have time to stay home lol) and now i have a chance to buy the books.

thank you for your reply.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
'The Twelve Kingdoms' series of light novels *has* been finished, and for quite a long time now (since 2001). However, they have not all been translated into English yet.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Assuming that the novel releases continue, the fifth novel (theoretically out in March) deals with the Queen of Kyou and the sixth novel (theoretically due in 2012) deals with Taiki's disappearance. Both are fully beyond the scope of the anime episodes, but no release announcements have been made about either yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ccachu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
light novels?

when you say due, do you mean for the translated versions?

I intend to purchase the novels in Japanese instead of the English translations. I prefer not to read translations if I can. ~
But I am glad it is being translated :)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
'The Twelve Kingdoms' series of light novels *has* been finished, and for quite a long time now (since 2001).

Ah, my thanks to you then. I was still under the impression that Ono-san had left the series unfinished but was planning to go back to it later. That was all that I had ever heard about the novels at least.
Luxa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:32 am Reply with quote
I'd say the novels are finished in a sense of no more are expected in the near future but even the sixth book's plotline is a bit unfinished. It is still better then the anime's end in this regard.

So one more book would help a lot. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo,

I was going by what I read on Wikipedia about it. I just read her interview with ANN, and she said she planned to write more stories about the Twelve Kingdoms (this was in 2001).

So far as I can tell, she wrote some short stories after that, and then moved off into Horror or something. It's been ten years now, and I can't see any indication that she's going back to it.

Since I haven't read the final books (as they're not translated yet), I don't know if the way what she's written has ended in a definitive manner or not. I hope so, because I personally don't see her coming back to the Twelve Kingdoms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3