• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll has bad subs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
At the bottom right of every video on Crunchyroll is a button to report problems - including translation errors. If there are problems, you should report them otherwise they will never get better. It does work - I found a grammar error in an older episode I was catching up with, reported it and got distracted by other things so didn't finish the episode till hours later - at which point the error had already been fixed.

This. Once the Gintama subs were too far to the right so I brought it up and they fixed it in about an hour.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
chicogrande wrote:
No, Crunchyroll doesn't have bad subs. Their subs are average in a good way.
And why should we believe this? Although I'm sure certain individuals would disagree, no one on here is an omniscient oracle of absolute truth. That's why a little thing called "evidence" is necessary to convince us of why CR's subs are good, bad, or somewhere in between.

EDIT: The issue with the songs is that there's legal entanglements over translated lyrics rights between CR, the anime producers, bands, record labels, and whatever other companies are involved.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
It does annoy me that the series I've seen on crunchroll haven't translated the songs.

One thing that was a little inconsistent was the mahjong terms in Saki, I think; using a bit of a mish mash of Japanese, Chinese and English terms. At least as far as I recall...
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
It does annoy me that the series I've seen on crunchroll haven't translated the songs.

That's not really their fault.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
If I may quote Sam P on the song subs issue:

Quote:
Q: While it’s highly debatable over the importance of this, I’ve noticed a lot of streams will leave out the subtitles of the opening and ending themes of songs. Is this a choice of the translator? The licensor? Is it just the inability to obtain actual lyrics that causes this?

A: This is a combination of annoyance and inane copyright law. But not usually laziness on the translator’s part. I can use my translations of Fairy Tail and Tegami Bachi and Shugo Chara as an example. Let me state first that I translate the songs for all those shows immediately. But the lyrics to the music are controlled by a different company than the licensor in almost all cases, therefore the translation needs to be approved by the music company before it can be included. That is the big problem. Under Japanese law the lyricist always retains rights to any translation of his/her lyrics, therefore it can easily take weeks and weeks for song translations to be approved because Japanese music companies move SLOW.

I finally got translations for the fairy tail opening and ending approved and retroactively added them into my subtitles for all previous episodes around episode 8, and then 4 episodes later they went and changed both the opening and ending. I’ve already translated them and submitted them for approval, but it’ll probably be another 10 weeks until they come back. Tegami Bachi’s songs are even more difficult because of the high profile artists involved. The singer wrote the lyrics to the opening himself and so theoretically he would have had to personally approve the translation… I suppose that’s why my translation still hasn’t been approved, even though there’s already a NEW opening and ending.

Shugo Chara is considerably easier, because the groups that sing the songs are owned completely by the investors of the show (both Buono! Shugo Chara Egg! and the Guardian 4! all were created specifically for Shugo Chara), therefore approvals are able to be done far more smoothly. For most translators and translation companies, they don’t even bother to submit translations because it gives more work to the Japanese, and is a bit “annoying” to the licensors. I go the extra mile to translate them promptly, but it’s really the hard work of the people at Medianet (TV Tokyo) in tracking down the rights holders and getting approvals that at least some of the shows I translate have translated lyrics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2