• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nausicaä BD Confirmed to Have Multiple Dubs, Subs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryusaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
Disney.. please don't make me import this...
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
So many different soundtracks!
For a second there I had expected them to have added the Warriors of the Wind version as well.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Disney realize there is a big audience for such releases outside of Japan.
I know their own productions haven't sold at well as they'd like on BD, but those are mostly aimed at kids (who naturally don't care about BD) whereas anime reaches a wider audience, and mostly a one which owns a Blu-ray player (be it a PS3, standalone, or drive in their PC/laptop).
With that slight hope in mind, I'll stay away from importing (mostly because of the price though lol).
kazume

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
The reason why a release such as this, especially with so many subs and dubs does not include either for spanish!?

Maybe I'm not getting a clear picture here, but I would love to see a spanish dub/sub available, heck if anyones seen the spanish dub (from mexico i believe) of Yu-gi-oh, the voices match so incredibly well it makes you wonder, if they can pump out that kind of quality in a children's show, then imagine what can be done in a miyazaki movie.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
We need Spirited Away also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
So beside Gundam Unicorn getting Blu-ray that carried both English dub and Japanese audio. Nausicaa is getting a Japanese and english audio on Japanese Blu-Ray(and few others language), hm interesting. I just joined Mania.com and I look at the topic about if the Japanese like our dub, the answer is yes they do.

Look at these topics from Mania.com:

English VA that received recognition/praise in Japan

Do the Japanese appreciate anime dubbed in English?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
Lemme guess -- the US release will be crippled.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
You would think that if they were really wanting to do a complete the motivations for people possibly double dipping they would add a 5.1 or higher track. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Annf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Lemme guess -- the US release will be crippled.

Depends on your definition of crippled, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the lossless & lossy audio track positions swapped for the NA release, like with Ponyo. (i.e. lossless English, Dolby Digital Japanese) I'm waiting on that myself to decide which version to buy.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
article wrote:
Just like the DVD version, the Blu-ray release will have an audio commentary track by Evangelion co-creator/Nausicaä key animator Hideaki Anno and Nausicaä assistant director Kazuyoshi Katayama. It will also add a December 2009 recording of a conversation between Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki and Anno.

Wow, a commentary track and an extra that I'd actually look forward to hearing.
kazume wrote:
The reason why a release such as this, especially with so many subs and dubs does not include either for spanish!?

Yeah, it doesn't really seem to be a priority at all for these Miyazaki movies. But AFAIK, Ponyo did have subs in Spanish and Kiki had a Spanish dub for their recent releases.
The Anagelic One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
Okay, what does one need to import Blu-Rays, i.e like multi region DVD Players.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
The Anagelic One wrote:
Okay, what does one need to import Blu-Rays, i.e like multi region DVD Players.

If you're in the US, nothing. Japan and the US share the same blu-ray region code. If you're not in the US... likely nothing as well. Almost all (if not all) Japanese anime blu-rays released so far have been region free.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
So, just so I'm clear, the July 14 date is for a JAPANESE release in JAPAN. So far, there is no confirmation of Nausicaa being released in America. Correct?

If that is the case I find it strange, because A)Its Disney doing the release in Japan, and B)Japan and the US share the same region code. Why not a simultaneous release of the same damn disc? Especially if it already has English Subs/Dubs as standard?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Hopefully Disney realize there is a big audience for such releases outside of Japan.
I know their own productions haven't sold at well as they'd like on BD, but those are mostly aimed at kids (who naturally don't care about BD) whereas anime reaches a wider audience, and mostly a one which owns a Blu-ray player (be it a PS3, standalone, or drive in their PC/laptop).
With that slight hope in mind, I'll stay away from importing (mostly because of the price though lol).

You're kidding with this, right?

First of all, anime does not meet a wider audience. Anime sales on DVD and especially on bluray are significantly lower than Disney's mainstream animation and live action. It's actually not than uncommon for retailers to sell out of Disney's animated films on bluray, such as Monsters Inc, Sleeping Beauty, and others when they are first released.

Second of all, with a few exceptions, a lot of movies and TV series are not doing as well on bluray as most studios would like. Despite the fact that the adoption rate for bluray is pretty good, it still is not making up for the slowdown in DVD sales, and many industry veterans think it never will (due to overall more competition than DVD had.)

Regardless, I really hope Disney does bring this and the other Ghibli Films to American bluray soon. I also do not want to import them.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
B)Japan and the US share the same region code. Why not a simultaneous release of the same damn disc? Especially if it already has English Subs/Dubs as standard?

Because the release in Japan will probably have a much higher price point ($72) relative to a US version. Which is why this will probably have a later date in the US to prevent reverse importation. It will probably also have different features as well, more or less.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3