• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Osamu Yamasaki's Followup on Animator Salaries Translated

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorbal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
I makes me wonder how much the studious make off them and if there are fat cats situating themselves to make all the money while others slave for them.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how these salaries adjusted to the cost of living.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
gorbal wrote:
I makes me wonder how much the studious make off them and if there are fat cats situating themselves to make all the money while others slave for them.

Actually, the "studios" get very little for the production of the show itself. According to below from 2003, they get about 16% of the total budget, which covers animators, writers, composers, voice actors, etc !! Maybe it's more now, but I still presume less than 1/4. There are other costs, lots of middlemen, marketing, song licensing (optional), and TV broadcast costs which are expensive, (the production committees recoup those TV costs currently by getting sponsors and advertiser for all kinds of anime goods; trying downloading an anime raw or transport stream with the commercials intact)

From : http://www.meti.go.jp/policy/media_contents/downloadfiles/kobetsugenjyokadai/anime200306.pdf

For most commercial anime productions, the people at the top are the production committees. They control the rights and the financing of the show, therefore are also the recipient of profits. The committee isn't a single entity, they are usually comprised of different companies and sponsors. This can include the studio themselves at times, and some in the committee usually holds more of a stake (% rights) that others.

If the committees are able to cut out some of the non-production costs, more could be allocated to the studios to increase animator salaries/wages, assuming they would be egalitarian enough to do so rather than simply lowering the overall budget after such savings. For example, most TV broadcasts are simply wasted in my opinion, since they are all late night/early-am broadcasts that could just be done online as effectively especially with Japan's broadband infrastructure, while still retaining the sponsors for their ads. Just look at Hetalia's success.

Whatever the case though, none of the animators and actual production crew currently get royalties or other forms of profit sharing, unless it's an independent or self-financed project,
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Whatever the case though, none of the animators and actual production crew currently get royalties or other forms of profit sharing, unless it's an independent or self-financed project,

Many jobs that anime studios get are considered "work for hire" - they get paid for the work but receive no royalties especially if the anime becomes a hit.

Ironically, anime studios get paid more if American producers hire them, but that's rare.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1