• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: North American Manga Sales Down 20% in 2009

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that's quite a hit. does this count amerimanga as well? i'm gonna assume it went up a bit, though, considering all the book in the top 10.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
It's probably for the best. Separates the people only into it, 'cus it's "trendy", from the real fans. Though it's a weird contrast with OP making the NYT book list.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
That really sucks... Sad I'm one of the "aging" female fans, though I haven't lost interest--started when I was 12 and still going strong at 23! Haha, I still do collect a lot of manga, but yes, I don't pick any and every shojo manga that catches my eye anymore.

I really think they haven't picked the right josei manga, but things are changing. One of Yuki Yoshinaga's manga, Butterflies, Flowers, was finally picked up. Tramps Like Us was excellent and a lot of women are fond of it.

Terribly sad about the scanslations. I'm one of the few, I suppose, that actually buys the stuff they read online. =/
mabber36

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
if more manga were higher quality, collectors like me would buy more of them.

for example, i would love to buy the pokemon adventure manga, but i Heard viz had edited. If Viz made a higher quality, unedited version and sold it online, I would snap it right up.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I know my manga purchases went down in 2009. But that had a lot more to do with not having a job that paid enough. Now that I'm at least minimally employed, I'm back to purchasing manga. Let's all not forget that the economy really does suck right now, people will cut back on luxuries.
Taris Kamelot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I feel like a big problem is I don't know some of them and with a $10 price tag I'm choosy about what I buy.

There isn't any publicity for manga out there. Just a bunch of titles with summaries on the back that don't catch the eye.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
That's the problem, ads and visibility is lacking a lot. They must do something about that to bring anime and manga back in the lights on the stage. An ENCORE would be great, ya know?

I simply don't understand with internet so available and so many great anime how it's not on TV, on streaming and more shown on websites related to anime, manga and movies that it's there with a description entailing the viewer to grab it?

You need the next generation to come to watch it and love it just as much as we did but if you don't show the programs like kids tv or fox tv channel 34 in canada for Shaman King, Pokemon, Digimon and One Piece did and the like G.I. Joe and Transformers etc, who will then know that's what I'm asking?

My brother doesn't know half the shows I know because they aren't on TV anymore. In turn this will drop sales for manga if they shows aren't there at all. It's like taking off the CD of Everquest it dropped in sales due to lack of visibility in store and no new comers came as often as their strong years.

It's maybe just an example but that's my experience on that matter.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Yikes, that's not a good number. I think I actually bought more manga than ever in 2009. Oh well.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I'd say aging female fans is less of an issue when you consider how successful the yaoi market is- I'm guessing a good chunk of those fans have moved onto that, and the market for Josei is still growing while they're busy fulfilling their primary fujoshi-based needs.

Seriously, of my manga reading friends, no one's more enthusiastic about books and how awesome they are then the fujoshi I know. Not a fan of the genre, but fascinated by how focused the fandom is.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
"ICv2 also attributed the decline to the lack of TV exposure for shōnen hits that accompanied the Naruto, Bleach, and Death Note manga releases."

If companys are openly admiting this is a problem, why are they not trying harder to get shows like One Piece, D. Grayman, Soul Eater, ect on TV? Question
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
"lack of 'collector mentality' "

do you guys *conceptually understand* that when you shifted from a hobbyist's import-market to a mainstream entertainment market, the very nature of the product shifted?

it *stopped* being the original system, in which obsessed hobbyists hoarded each thing they got. Its casual fans now. But they keep buying and publishing manga at a rate that could only be sustained if EVERY fan was one of the obsessives...which BY DEFINITION were always going to be just a tiny hardcore niche!

They need to drastically reduce the number of titles they're selling: they over-expanded, plain and simple.

It's the comics collector bust of 1993 all over again.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Funny, 2009 was a huge year form me actually getting into manga, after years of just causally poking at it. It seems to me there are more mature/adult oriented manga on the shelf right now. And that's really roping me in after years of ignoring the mountains of Shonen I have no intrest in.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
well if fans are like me they now have no place to store new manga. That an the titles i want to get I never see at my bookstore. I'm not surprised that the market is shrinking and they readers are growing up and moving away from reading.

isn't "collector mentality" keeping all your comics in the bags with the acid free boards in the boxes.
Right to left or left to right if someone doesn't like the story they are not going to buy the book.
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
If companys are openly admiting this is a problem, why are they not trying harder to get shows like One Piece, D. Grayman, Soul Eater, ect on TV? Question

(Soul Eater would fit snugly on SyFy...but that's just my wishful thinkin'.)

And where would a show as nice as One Piece go? Nicktoons? Cool Or....*gulp*... Disney X D?

I don't see dumbass Adult Swim pickin' it up. Or even Cartoon Network. Remember what it did to FUNimation's One Piece? It was kicked to the curb and told, "NEVER SHOW YOUR FACE AROUND HERE AGAIN!"
OtakuOtoko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I for one am one of the collectors not being able to collect. I have now gotten older (26) and moved on to purchase a house. I had limited funds but I still bought a volume here or there. Now that I have lost my job I don't have any extra money for manga. It all goes into keeping my house and food. Once a get a new job and get caught up financially I will be back to buying and collecting. I do admit that I would buy more titles if they were more accurate to the Japanese version with less censorship/alterations when I get an income again, of coarse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6