• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya Model School Warns Against Trespassers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
LOL, otakus. Anime hyper I can just see some random people on a hill with binoculars trying to see a yellow headbanded figure in one of the windows. Anime hyper
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they could charge admission and make money for the school Smile
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, there goes my chances of ever visiting as a tourist. Anime hyper

I can imagine how hard that must be for them. If any of them are "older" otaku, that might creep out some of the students though. Razz
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
The school could have tours when classes aren't in session, but most schools today have very strict visitor policies.
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I wonder if they could charge admission and make money for the school Smile

This.

It should be a no brainer.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
look like a place to go to when in japan Laughing
Cynim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, their reaction is quite understandable, I find.
at least they allow people taking pictures from outside, as a compromise.

what makes me smile is the link towards Chihara Minori's beautiful PV. Very Happy

anyway, I'm thinking of popping by over there someday, and simply enjoy the place and take only a couple of pictures.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
At least here in america, if someone did something stupid like that, they'd probably be arrested...

I feel sorry for those kids and whatnot, having this... Mostly likely older strangers just come onto their schoolgrounds and just start taking pictures without any consideration of how the students there would feel. ~_~

Oh well, it's good to know the school is taking action. It's about time someone did something to stop the crazed state of some of the more 'bold' japanese otaku.
Bonsai89

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I like the tour option - it makes money, and fans can gush - it's a win/win!

But I think artists who plan to model a school in an anime or manga from a real school - anywhere, not just Japan - should take this article to mind. I think artists should realize there are consequences to modeling a school out of a real institution, because the fans must certainly range from normal fan to obsessed, creepy fan. There are students involved, and I think the safer option would to have modeled *part* of the school from this one as well as others.

A lot of monuments are modeled for TV shows and movies, and they give tours, but these are public places, so it's ok.

Besides, it only takes one crazy fan to ruin it for everyone...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
If the schools in Japan are anything like the ones here in the UK, they will be municipal buildings with insurance policies that prohibit anyone being on the property, or in the buildings when school is not in session. There are clauses for tradesmen to do preauthorised redecorations, and repairs, or reconstruction of the infrastructure, and for special occasions that is authorised by School Governors and staff in attendance out of hours, or bank holidays. However preditory otakus with cameras on school grounds need to be deterred at all costs for the safety of the children at school. Wink
H0shi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
Then how about those students who are admitted there?

Wonder if there's an SOS club in that school...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If the schools in Japan are anything like the ones here in the UK, they will be municipal buildings with insurance policies that prohibit anyone being on the property, or in the buildings when school is not in session. There are clauses for tradesmen to do preauthorised redecorations, and repairs, or reconstruction of the infrastructure, and for special occasions that is authorised by School Governors and staff in attendance out of hours, or bank holidays. However preditory otakus with cameras on school grounds need to be deterred at all costs for the safety of the children at school. Wink

If there are rules like these in Japan, they could make an exception to establish a tour. So they can make money for the redecorations, repairs and reconstruction.

Unless, of course, they are working under the assumption that all Haruhi fans are child rapists.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
I am really surprised that the school took this route. Especially due to the sheer amount of $ that the shrine from "Lucky Star" gets every year, or even that train station that is "mananged" by a cat.

From what I have seen in most anime, all the Japanese schools look pretty similar, so why not just take a picture of a random school and call it "Haruhi's school", "Chiyo-Chan's School", or even "Harima's School"?
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
That vid's more of a tribute to KyoAni's thoroughness. Seriously, that's five-star accuracy.

I'm kinda curious that they seem to make a big deal out of trespassing on school property... I'd understand if they were so protective about a kindergarten, but it's a high school.

They should really charge admission though. I'd totally pay and take pictures of every damn corner. Razz
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:

I'm kinda curious that they seem to make a big deal out of trespassing on school property... I'd understand if they were so protective about a kindergarten, but it's a high school.

Maybe because having random fans (which, let's face, have to include some obsessed older male otaku) walking around a school/on school grounds during the day, most likely with cameras, is a bit...creepy?

Safety of the students should always come first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2