• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Osaka Designates 8 Boys-Love Manga Mags as 'Harmful'

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Any idea which magazines?

I'm glad they're saving the world from titillated fangirls. Gee I can sleep better now.

I hope the next thing they do is ban boy bands like the Johnny's guys. Girls get way too excited by them. And they should make cute men wear burkhas so girls aren't overstimulated.
aquaofthewater

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? They didn't put regulations on them because "no one would be sexually stimulated by them?" How naive are these politicians?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
How good is it? If girls can't exercise their imaginations, won't they simply try to do it physically? Like, err, half the teenagers do nowadays? Gigity.

The world becomes more interesting as the clock ticks. If there's no oppression, there's no war, after all.
aquaofthewater

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
You get a million internet points for not only having that icon, but also for the "gigity."

And this just reeks of ridiculousness. Why not focus on magazines where they obviously have underage kids engaging in sexual activities than ones where it's debatable?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what Tomo, Yomi, Sukaki, Chiyo, and Kagura think about this.

We should all know how Mr. Kimura feels.

Pathetic news, regardless. But hey, headlines like this may make the UN turn the other way to, you know, more important issues of the world?

Maybe they can end world hunger with cartoon rice.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
aquaofthewater wrote:
And this just reeks of ridiculousness. Why not focus on magazines where they obviously have underage kids engaging in sexual activities than ones where it's debatable?

I was wondering the same while watching Kick-Ass. I was more like "WTH?", is this really allowed? For short, there's a girl(11) slicing others up.
aquaofthewater

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
What made me giggle the most was the fact that more people were concerned with Hit Girl swearing than with her killing people. Weird how our society prioritizes things nowadays. Honestly, I liked Kick-Ass as, basically, harmless fantasy entertainment.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
some male readers won't give a crap even if the whole yoai genre were banned.. some female readers won't give a crap if male oriented manga were banned especially those with some sexual content.. and i'm sure some middle age hard core pro-war american living in the south wouldn't have cared if all japanese goods were banned including all manga, anime.

like i been saying, it's either everybody defending everybody else's right to do, read, say anything aka freedom of speech and expression, or that nobody is defending anyone's rights and expression and we gradually live in a tighter and tighter society. how can you say 50 years later, republicans won't pass a law to ban liberal message in textbooks, or that liberals won't do the same otherwise? in fact some states already have argument over what type of political inclination some history textbooks should lean towards. it's either a whole piece of free speech, or it's nobody's. thus the phrase from those who thought of putting the first amendment "i would die to defend your right to speak freely", although he wouldn't necessarily have found what you had to express pleasant.

Last edited by jtstellar on Sun May 02, 2010 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

I hope the next thing they do is ban boy bands like the Johnny's guys. Girls get way too excited by them. And they should make cute men wear burkhas so girls aren't overstimulated.

Why would you even suggest such a thing Anime cry What would I do without my KAT-TUN fix?

But uh, they didn't think anyone would be stimulated? Then what would be the point of these manga exactly anyway?

And as a side note, I bet this topic eould have a lot more replies if it were about loli, or Love Hina variety ecchi. Wink
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
At least they're not outright bans... But it's essentially the same thing if most of the readership is under 18 (I don't know if they actually are, but it seems probable to me).

Unfortunate.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Before anyone loses their shit over this, let's all keep in mind that it's just an age restriction. Just like they already have on movies, TV shows, games and pretty much everything else.
Gamen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
And as a side note, I bet this topic eould have a lot more replies if it were about loli, or Love Hina variety ecchi. Wink

Indeed. Now that we know that the proposed Tokyo law and this Osaka bit are a reaction to the moral panic over explicit girls' comics, lolicons and loli-haters don't have much to cheer/angst about. And since the bans only effect distribution to minors, the free-speech crowd doesn't have much to say since restricting what developing minds have access to is a well established custom.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Before anyone loses their shit over this, let's all keep in mind that it's just an age restriction. Just like they already have on movies, TV shows, games and pretty much everything else.

The key difference here is that this is an Osaka government restriction with the full backing of law — with police searches and enforced punishment. The North American age ratings on movies, television, and games are voluntary and not legally binding. PG stands for Parental Guidance "suggested" or "advised." In most North American jurisdictions, police won't seize NC-17 DVDs or AO games from retail shelves.

But that is exactly what happened in Osaka with "harmful publications." There is nothing "suggested" or "advised" about designating these publications as legally "harmful." With this ruling, Osaka police — not an industry group or a private watchdog, but government authorities — can perform a sweep of stores and seize these materials.

As Dan Kanemitsu noted in the other thread, many manga creators accept the premise that they should deal with age ratings — but they want to do it, not the government.
everapril

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
Gamen wrote:

Indeed. Now that we know that the proposed Tokyo law and this Osaka bit are a reaction to the moral panic over explicit girls' comics, lolicons and loli-haters don't have much to cheer/angst about. And since the bans only effect distribution to minors, the free-speech crowd doesn't have much to say since restricting what developing minds have access to is a well established custom.

See, I do consider this a free speech issue. But then, I also see comics as literature and I am a product of a culture where banning a book (which usually entails restricting minors' access to it either by keeping it out of schools or stores,) is not only a matter of free speech, but an important one.

Most American students are taught that banning books is a crime of the worst sort that imposes on our civil liberties. I remember pictures of a Nazi book-burning in my junior high history book with text that said, essentially: "Banning books is wrong and that's not how we do it in a country like America."

So, if you asked me, I'd say "Yes, its in their best interest that children not have access to age inappropriate material," and agree with you that such a thing is not an issue of free speech. But, if this meant banning the sale or restricting access to a book, I would object. If pressed the only explanation for this I could give is "Book banning is wrong." I am a product of my culture, after all.
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Any idea which magazines?

I'm glad they're saving the world from titillated fangirls. Gee I can sleep better now.

ah yes I am glad I am not a yaoi fangirl, yaoi freaks me out, I dont want to imagine what those yaoi books contain
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3