• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dōjinshi App Creation Service for iPad/iPhone Launched

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mads0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
This goes for the iPod Touch too, right?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I can't wait to try it out. Nice to see doujin-circles spreading out into digital, as well as distributing world wide. (if they want)
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Going to be honest, if I read doujin, the characters must either be older than 18, aren't forced into anything that is against their will and isn't too "over the top" or too weird. Having the series translated into English is a plus, but isn't needed if the artwork is nice.

An addition plus is lack of censorship. Personally, if the series meets all three criteria, there shouldn't really be a need for censorship at all, but its all right if there some censorship.

Also, if the series has funny comedy, that also is a plus, but isn't needed if the artwork is nice and its translated.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Going to be honest, if I read doujin, the characters must either be older than 18, aren't forced into anything that is against their will and isn't too "over the top" or too weird. Having the series translated into English is a plus, but isn't needed if the artwork is nice.

An addition plus is lack of censorship. Personally, if the series meets all three criteria, there shouldn't really be a need for censorship at all, but its all right if there some censorship.

Also, if the series has funny comedy, that also is a plus, but isn't needed if the artwork is nice and its translated.

Since when does doujinshi have to meet your oddball list of standards. "Having the series translated into English is a plus, but isn't needed if the artwork is nice" pah. You keep away from keeping my doujinshi Japanese-only. All your crap only leads one to think you only read H-doujin, and you can keep that to yourself, untranslated because you're right, you don't really need an English translation of H-doujin when the only thing to translate are wet slooshing sound effects.

Can't recall ever seeing a doujinshi outside of hentai being "censored." Somehow I doubt there will be a lot of h-doujin distributed through this. Last I heard Apple was trying to keep clean of that sort of thing.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Indeed good news, and another outlet for creators. Thing is I have a funny feeling that Apple may try a google, and to block access to this content, from the eyes of westerners being tainted. They have had problems with yaoi manga by western artists, so its possible.

By all means, if we can access this stuff via our specific iTunes account (with a bit of tweaking via region), then more power to us and creators. I'll look forward to checkng out some dojinshi.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Since when does doujinshi have to meet your oddball list of standards. "Having the series translated into English is a plus, but isn't needed if the artwork is nice" pah. You keep away from keeping my doujinshi Japanese-only. All your crap only leads one to think you only read H-doujin, and you can keep that to yourself, untranslated because you're right, you don't really need an English translation of H-doujin when the only thing to translate are wet slooshing sound effects.

Can't recall ever seeing a doujinshi outside of hentai being "censored." Somehow I doubt there will be a lot of h-doujin distributed through this. Last I heard Apple was trying to keep clean of that sort of thing.

It seems as if there is a common misconception that doujinshi are Hentai...when really "the term is used to refer to amateur self-published works"

Rolling Eyes
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:

It seems as if there is a common misconception that doujinshi are Hentai...when really "the term is used to refer to amateur self-published works"

Rolling Eyes

Very common indeed. I remember reading a plea from someone for a link to read ABe's doujinshi of Haibane Renmei. He said that the only thing he could find didn't have any H... *facepalm*
Dakaran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Bring that apps over here to read manga o.o!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

:roll:

Exactly. When in my post did I say anything of that sort? Not every doujin is like that and several actually are G rated. Jumping the gun is nearly as bad as making a blanket sterotype.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:07 am Reply with quote
Another angle that will change the sphere of things is in regards to western manga creators being able to now reach an eastern audience with much more ease. After some of the horror stories of OEL creators and their works with publishers, this will allow many to get straight to the source.

We know that japanese manga readers aren't going to be as fussy on where a creator is from, like many fickle western fans. They just want to read good stuff.

On top of that is the possibility of an interesting community building out of these iPhone aps. Imagine east and western creators butting heads, exchanging tips and ideas etc.

Its all win win, now all I need is an iPhone/touch.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1