• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anne of Green Gables Compilation Film to Open in July

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I love how much the Japanese love Anne of Green Gables. I lived in P.E.I for five years, and you wouldn't believe the number of Japanese tourists that visit there every year. There are even signs in Japanese because of the high level of tourism!
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I hope Disney takes a look at this and brings it over. I loved reading Anne of Green Gables. I've wanted to see this series for such a long time, I'd settle for a compilation movie.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Cosplaybunny wrote:
I hope Disney takes a look at this and brings it over. I loved reading Anne of Green Gables. I've wanted to see this series for such a long time, I'd settle for a compilation movie.

same<3

Anne of Green Gables is one of my favorite books, and I've always wanted to see this series (I have the opening song on my ipod, it always makes me happy)

did Takahata's movies do very well here? I guess that's what it'll depend on...
Shuichi

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Takahata had personally supervised a compilation of six episodes from the television series in 1989. However, the resulting compilation film did not receive an official release at the time.

The TV series is from 1979, not 1989.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Shuichi wrote:
Quote:
Takahata had personally supervised a compilation of six episodes from the television series in 1989. However, the resulting compilation film did not receive an official release at the time.

The TV series is from 1979, not 1989.

Please read the article again. As noted earlier in the article, the television series is from 1979. However, Takahata supervised a compilation film a decade later in 1989. This film is finally getting an official theatrical release in Japan two more decades later this July.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
WHOA! An anime movie for Anne of Green Gables!?

One word: WIN!!!

I love the book and I only saw one episode of the original series, though I plan to watch the rest once I finish up some other anime! I can't wait for this movie to show! I should pester some fansubbing group to sub it.

Quote:

Me too. If not, maybe I'll pester some other one (Discotek) to license it. I know the old 1997 anime movie for The Dog of Flanders was licensed long ago (though now it's out of print and appallingly expensive!), so hopefully this will be licensed too!...and if it does, THEY BETTER ADD BILINGUAL OPTIONS!!!
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Isn't a compilation movie 30 years too late? Laughing
Lolotakun

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, Isao Takahata having been a TV director isn't that much of a scoop, is it? His Heidi is, alongside Maya the Bee, the most popular anime ever over here in Germany.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThatOneMan

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
WHOA! An anime movie for Anne of Green Gables!?

One word: WIN!!!

I love the book and I only saw one episode of the original series, though I plan to watch the rest once I finish up some other anime! I can't wait for this movie to show! I should pester some fansubbing group to sub it.

Quote:

Me too. If not, maybe I'll pester some other one (Discotek) to license it. I know the old 1997 anime movie for The Dog of Flanders was licensed long ago (though now it's out of print and appallingly expensive!), so hopefully this will be licensed too!...and if it does, THEY BETTER ADD BILINGUAL OPTIONS!!!

You do know that the whole series has been fan-subbed, don't you?

Also both the R3 DVD rip and the English dub is available through other means.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Yeah, I know the whole series is fansubbed. I plan on watching it once I finish up some other anime. And how is that R3 DVD rip and English dub available?
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Isn't a compilation movie 30 years too late? Laughing

It definitely does seem like it, and it's only really interesting they are releasing it now of all times when they could've done so, perhaps back in '81 or such. One of those weird flukes that just sorta happened, but perhaps better than not happening at all.

FireChick wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I know the whole series is fansubbed. I plan on watching it once I finish up some other anime. And how is that R3 DVD rip and English dub available?

I've already downloaded all the episodes anyway, but haven't hear dof an English dub for Akage no Anne (or are we talking about Dog of Flanders here). The 1997 Dog of Flanders movie though got edited for it's English-dubbed release anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1