• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Duplicate Persons.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
How much evidence do contributors have to give here in order to make their "Duplicate Persons" reports attractive for handling?

For example, we have
Takayoshi MATSUHIRA (松平 高吉, JMDB for Air Movie) and
Takayoshi MATSUDAIRA (松平 高吉, no source),
both credited for Photography, both working for Sankou Production (三晃プロダクション), both working on One Piece (TV resp Movie 6). Is this enough to let them be the same person?
http://movie.goo.ne.jp/cast/148262/index.html has the One Piece and Air Movie credits and says: 松平高吉 (マツダイラコウキチ) = MATSUDAIRA Koukichi (!) which is one of the four possible EDICT readings for 高吉. Is this a reliable source for this name, good enough to merge them? (I guess no, I just had another person where some error report claimed the reading at ANN to be wrong, linking to movie.goo.ne.jp which concatenated some readings of individual kanji for the given name while the given name at ANN was in fact the only legal EDICT reading...)
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Hiro Kanzaki
Hiroyuki Oda (alias)
Source: http://nekomimi.tabgraphics.under.jp/?pid=571 (his own blog)

The recent news article on the OreImo anime is a bit misleading knowing this, since both names are brought up but the connection is not mentioned.
hashihime

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I believe I have reported this twice already and nothing has been done. Maybe I didn't provide enough verification? I feel badly about this, since she is really becoming a star now, and has been in four shows at the same time in each of the past two seasons.

Aoi Yabusaki #32360
changed her name as of 2008 to
Aoi Yuuki #68107

Just add her #32360 roles with "As Aoi Yabusaki" to the head of the list in #68107

For verification, check Yuuki's agency site
http://profit-v.com/pro/talent_yuki.html
where you can see the Onegai My Melody role that the Encyclopedia listed as a Yabusaki role. You can also see from the Encyclopedia that the two Aoi's have the same birthday.

You can also check Hatena Diary
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/keyword/悠木碧
or ja.Wikipedia
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/悠木碧

I myself have a long biographical post on my blog, with full details taken from annotated items in ja.Wikipedia, from 2channel, from her blog, etc.:
http://hashihime.blogspot.com/2010/03/seiyuu-yuuki-aoi-young-veteran_31.html

I myself prefer Yuuki to Yuki with a long "u," since it's so hard to type a long "u" in most programs, and the "uu" works for inputting Japanese. But as you wish.

Thanks for all you hard work. ANN is invaluable.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:47 am Reply with quote
hashihime wrote:
I believe I have reported this twice already and nothing has been done. Maybe I didn't provide enough verification? I feel badly about this, since she is really becoming a star now, and has been in four shows at the same time in each of the past two seasons.

The ANN Encyclopedia is understaffed, unfortunately, and the clean up of duplicate persons is apparently a (much) lower priority than adding new anime and manga or the splitting of persons formerly construed as a single person.

OTOH, you do seem to have provided enough references.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Masayuki Onji (no Kanji) is Masayuki Onchi (音地 正行)

Can be confirmed at the source link for the Kenshin credit, here for the Urayasu credit and here for the Nanaka credit.

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
hashihime wrote:

For what it's worth, I brought it up myself a long time ago too, when she only had one role to her new name. I do think this one is especially important since she has had a lot of major roles recently.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
Maki Terashima-Furuta

and Maki Terashima

Based on the data between the two here in ANN it is safe to say both enteries belong to the I.G VP. Terashima-Furuta (guessing a married name) I see seems to be the commonly used name today in Gotham Knight and Blood films.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
Triplicate person:

金内 吉男 Kaneuchi YOSHIO (date of death: 1992-07-08; 2 cast credits) <= wrong name order
金内 吉男 Yoshio KANAUCHI (date of death: 1992-07-08; 1 cast credit) <= kanji reading error
金内 吉男 Yoshio KANEUCHI (date of death: 1992-07-08; 4 cast credits, Wikipedia page, personal website at Aoni, かねうち よしお = KANEUCHI Yoshio)

3 credits flagged&added; the wrong credits can be hidden.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
We have both Tsugu Kubo and Tsuguyuki Kubo credited with working on Thundercats. The former has no other credits (but is present in the English credits for the series under "animation staff").
According to IMDb, Tsugu Kibo is an alternate name for Tsuguyuki Kubo.
Looking for his Kanji name I found this allcinema entry for 窪詔之 (くぼ・つぐゆき).
We already have this Kanji in our database for Katsuyuki Kubo.
We have both Katsuyuki and Tsuguyuki credited for the Naruto movie.
There's a pretty concise-looking list of his works, in English, here.

Note to self: Need to tie the names together more conclusively. When it is not 3am.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Luriko-Ysabeth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Takashi SUSHIMI appears to be a typo for
Takashi TSUSHIMI.[/url]
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
So, I was updating the guest request list for the Sakura-Con message board this morning, and came upon an interesting situation.

Greg Abbey (two series listed)
John Campbell (a few roles listed)
Frank Frankson (many roles listed)

The guest request was for Greg Abbey, but noted that John Campbell and Frank Frankson were alternate names for him. Their provided link was this Wikipedia link, which lists John Campbell as the real name, with Frank Frankson being a pseudonym, and Greg Abbey being another name he uses. There are no sources, but the external link takes me Gregory Abbey's IMDB page.

The IMDB page lists Gregory Abbey as the real name, with Greg Abbey, Frank Frankson, John Campbell, and John Campbel (presumed typo) as being alternate names.

Oh, but it doesn't stop getting confusing there.

If I just do an IMDB search for "Frank Frankson", it actually gives me not only Gregory Abbey, but also Marc Thompson's IMDB page, with Frank as an alternate name for him (Marc Thompson's encyclopedia page).

Marc Thompson has more roles listed than Frank Frankson, but there are many 4kids series that are listed across both names, and no duplicates.

I have no clue if Marc Thompson is or isn't involved in the whole Abbey/Campbell/Frankson mess or not, or even if there is a mess with them, as wikipedia and IMDB aren't the most reliable sources. But I don't know of other sources to consult to see if it's right or not.

Also, I found this: Frabk Frankson (no roles listed, probably a typo)
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Greg Abbey (two series listed)
John Campbell (a few roles listed)
Frank Frankson (many roles listed)

I'm pretty sure Greg Abbey is his real name. He is listed under the agency he belongs to with that name (Gregory Abbey). Also, both of the dubs he is credited in (Freedom and Kurokami) are union dubs. Most anime dubs done in NY are non-union, which is likely why he would be going under a different name as an alias. I haven't heard him in much and don't know much about his voice, so I don't know for sure about the accuracy of the connection. If you listen to his animation voice demo (from the link above), it starts off with what I believe is a clip of Raphael from the new TMNT series, which Frankson is credited. So, that may be confirmation, at least for that name.

Marc Thompson is undoubtedly a different person (he's listed as a different person under the same agency above). Whoever submitted it to IMDb must have gotten names mixed up and the information went through.
386sky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
Add company form supports Japanese companies but the add team form doesn't support Japanese names.

No one has the name 田澤智 in the database (when crediting an key animator from Studio Dove used in episodes 2, 4, 8, must enter this as Satoshi Tazawa instead.)
No one has the name 藤森雅也 in the database (when crediting an key animator from Asia-Do used in episode 9, must enter this as Masaya Fujimori instead.)
No one has the name 中島裕一 in the database (when crediting an key animator from Asia-Do used in episode 9, must enter this as Yuuichi Nakajima instead.)
No one has the name 青木正子 in the database (when crediting an negative editor from Morita Henshushitsu, must enter this as Masako Aoki instead.)
No one has the name 江原佐和子 in the database (when crediting an negative editor from Morita Henshushitsu, must enter this as Sawako Ebara instead.)
No one has the name 小山秀雄 in the database (when crediting an audio creator from Sound Box, must enter this as Hideo Koyama instead.)
No one has the name 内山敏章 in the database (when crediting an audio mixer, must enter this as Toshiaki Uchiyama instead.)

Defined readings in Korean for Japanese names:
田澤智 = 전택지
藤森雅也 = 등삼아야
中島裕一 = 중도유일
青木正子 = 청목정자
江原佐和子 = 강원좌화자
小山秀雄 = 소산수웅
内山敏章 = 내산민장
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
386sky wrote:
Add company form supports Japanese companies but the add team form doesn't support Japanese names.
If you're sure that you've spotted the correct (already existing) person in the ANN database for each of these kanji names, this is the very moment to add those kanji names to each of them so that the next person to credit them from a kanji-only source won't run into the same situation again.
The better your sources are, the more qualified you are for contributing a kanji name to a person (which is a process that can be revoked much easier than deleting a person that was created with a wrong roumaji reading).
This line of thought led to me changing the data of 2751 persons (and 450 companies) at ANN so far. This is a mere 3% of all persons (and 5% of all companies) at ANN but every little bit helps... even more so when we talk about credits for recent anime whose credited persons are more likely to get more credits in the future than those who worked on anime decades ago.

The ANN kanji translation mechanism isn't a self-learning system, it relies on contributors to set the mapping between kanji and roumaji name for each item once (and for all, hopefully). This way you can even see adding kanji names as a long term investment for yourself: The more contributions from kanji-only sources you will make in the future the more often you will profit from your own previous kanji name contributions. I've experienced this a number of times already, most notably when contributing credits for several anime from the same franchise (To Heart, Love Hina etc.) resp. from the same time era (most anime I contributed credits for were released around 2000 so they were done by the same persons who were in the available "pool" at this time). The more you focus your contributions on a certain field the higher the reusability rate for kanji names will be.

Given your posting above, I could now add those 7 kanji names. But you have the source URLs for them, you did the research work, so you earned the honor of adding those names (which will even give you 2 "contribution points" for each person in case that matters to you). That's why I won't touch these persons for now (unless I happen to stumble over them during my own contributions).
386sky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
When adding people names from D2_STATION and verifying the informations, several people names may not help.

No one has the name 村仲康太郎 in the database (when adding a VTR editor from Good Job Tokyo, input this as Koutaro Muranaka)
No one has the name 河村圭太 in the database (when adding a VTR editor from Good Job Tokyo, input this as Keita Kawamura)
No one has the name 廣部琢之 in the database (when adding a planning manager from TV Tokyo, input this as Takuji Hirobe)
No one has the name 木村唯人 in the database (when adding a music producer in Sony Music Entertainment, input this as Tadahito Kimura)

Korean readings needed for these Kanji names:
村仲康太郎 = 촌중강태랑
河村圭太 = 하촌규태
廣部琢之 = 광부탁지
木村唯人 = 목촌유인

Shirayuki works fine with no problems detected with slow page loading, but D2_STATION is too slow to load the page.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 61 of 144