• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Guin Saga Fantasy TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Yes please, this was a really strong and seemingly under-appreciated series from last year. A sure day one purchase whether it's subbed or dubbed to start. This fantasy fan is happy.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Pfft... this got broken on other sites weeks ago. Aniplex leaked it at the C2E2 Convention. It's still good to get official confirmation though. It's also interesting to see Sentai announce a show through means other than a solicitation.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Ooo! Exciting! I was hoping that someone would pick this up, from the first few episodes it looked like something I would like. I haven't seen the whole thing, but I'll definitely be buying this. I wonder whether it will have a dub, although I'll be buying it either way, and when it will be released.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, a leopard headded man? Sounds kind of dumb... I'll have to wait for the reviews to see what Key thinks. Smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Nice catch for Sentai, I was really thinking this one would stay in Japan. I hope there is a dub, I'd love to hear Keith David (Goliath in Gargoyles, Arbiter in Halo 2 and 3) as Guin, Kenyuu Horiuchi sounds exactly like him in this series. Though, the chances of them actually getting him even if there is a dub is pretty slim...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Hmm, a leopard headded man? Sounds kind of dumb...

nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Never finished the series myself, but I did like what I saw. As long as they release this in just one or two box sets, I'm definitely going to buy it.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Hmm, a leopard headded man? Sounds kind of dumb... I'll have to wait for the reviews to see what Key thinks. Smile

Nah, it's pretty cool. The English trailer does a pretty good job pitching just how great Guin is supposed to be.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh, never got around to seeing this but I heard good things about it, a must check out!
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Cool. Hopefully they can produce an english dub tp coincide with the dvd release.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Highly doubt they'll dub this.
Ok series but nothing more. Can't see it selling enough to return the profits of a dub, but hey, who knows.
Nice license none the less.
Sentai are fast becoming my fav R1 anime company.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the fansubbers ever finished subbing this series. 2009 was a year where alot of fansubs dropped projects or dropped off for various reasons in mid-series. (spoiler[probably due to lack of e-penises hence no reason to continue subbing a series and e-drama. Oh how the fansub community had fallen that year]) Hence why alot of use didn't finish the series. But wow, 26 episodes. It was pretty interesting series overall so its good to hear we'll get some decent subs as well as the whole thing. Although the monkey people were weird.

Also Dear Sentai, if you value staying in business, do not pick up Arad Senki: Slap Up Party. That was just a very medicore to poor series depsite the random comments of love and praise you think you hear.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Very happy to see Sentai pick this one. I thought it was one of the better series from last year though it seemed liked no one else really cared for it.
TatsuGero23 wrote:
I don't think the fansubbers ever finished subbing this series.

They finished it.

Quote:
Nice catch for Sentai, I was really thinking this one would stay in Japan. I hope there is a dub, I'd love to hear Keith David (Goliath in Gargoyles, Arbiter in Halo 2 and 3) as Guin, Kenyuu Horiuchi sounds exactly like him in this series. Though, the chances of them actually getting him even if there is a dub is pretty slim...

Even if they actually did dub it, I have trouble seeing them use a different cast from the one they used for that little English test trailer from last year. Now I can only curse you for making me want the impossible of Keith David as Guin.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
I don't think the fansubbers ever finished subbing this series. 2009 was a year where alot of fansubs dropped projects or dropped off for various reasons in mid-series. (spoiler[probably due to lack of e-penises hence no reason to continue subbing a series and e-drama. Oh how the fansub community had fallen that year]) Hence why alot of use didn't finish the series. But wow, 26 episodes. It was pretty interesting series overall so its good to hear we'll get some decent subs as well as the whole thing. Although the monkey people were weird.

Also Dear Sentai, if you value staying in business, do not pick up Arad Senki: Slap Up Party. That was just a very medicore to poor series depsite the random comments of love and praise you think you hear.

Fansubbers did finish..... The series overall was decent, but given that there are 126 novels of the actual story published (129.5? were written + 21 side-stories), obviously the series just decides to end with no indication of continuation at the moment. The series was pretty, but I do have to say that it lacked appeal in the beginning episodes.

The problem I see with Sentai picking up these titles right now is that they're more than just "no name" series, but rather series that were really only half-decent to mediocre. Obviously not dubbing titles are saving them costs occassionally (since they can easily put things together like a fansub group could and market it), but in the long-run, if they don't start picking up "major" titles, I think they may be another Geneon not too soon in the future. I'm not surprised though that they're dubbing Guin Saga...it was kinda asking for one.

Regarding Arad Senki.... it's a Gonzo work, so that's more likely Funimation's route anyways.
Rakkan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, one did finish but the subs are full of dumb personal comments.

Ten no Haoh, Golgo 13 TV and Guin Saga now.

Come on Sentai; Souten Kouro. You know you want it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4