• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Guin Saga Fantasy TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If the posted trailer is an example of how the series will sound dubbed, then I approve. The choices for the twins are excellent and the casting choice for Guin is good enough.

No kidding. As someone who pretty much never gets excited about dubs, I was really impressed with the casting on that trailer. This should get a good dub - it could be a gateway anime for a lot of fantasy fans out there, who massively outnumber anime fans (though obviously some of us, myself included, are multiclass nerds).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
you have to remember the Guin Saga is based on a series of novels that span 126 volumes of the main story and 21 gaiden novels as well as at least one manga gaiden. even with all that the story doesn't have an end since the author passed away recently. there's really no way the could have given a solid ending to something that doesn't even have an ending.

So then it had all that huge wealth of material to work with and 26 episodes was all we got? Just kind makes the anime's reputation sound even worse. If they had incorporated all that maybe the characters would come off a bit better developed, and it might not have been such a forgettable series if it was more expansive. Also they definitely could have wrote an ending themselves.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I assume that this series will get an English Dub since the Trailer is English Dubbed Smile.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

So then it had all that huge wealth of material to work with and 26 episodes was all we got? Just kind makes the anime's reputation sound even worse. If they had incorporated all that maybe the characters would come off a bit better developed, and it might not have been such a forgettable series if it was more expansive. Also they definitely could have wrote an ending themselves.

Yea, but actually they had too much to work with. They tried to put too much of the material into 26 episodes. 16 volumes! Moribito and Erin used ~24 episodes for 1 novel! 12 Kingdoms used 12 episodes for one.

But Guin Saga squeezes 5 novels into 11 episodes oO;; They cut out so much and that's why the characters and even the whole story feel flat. In the novels they are developed much more from the very start. Not to mention the whole setting is so detailed and interesting ... in the anime series you get almost nothing of the world itself, its myths, its history etc.
Zakiel

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
What vertical had to say about if the anime was licensed

Quote:
Yani: And if that happens I can guarantee we’ll do more installments.

Noah: Or if the anime comes to the U.S.

What do you think the chances of Vertical doing more installments of the Guin Saga light novels are considering they said they would if the anime comes to U.S., and it seems that it is?

Some random thing I wrote about this: (Naked self-promotion)
Ian K

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I assume that this series will get an English Dub since the Trailer is English Dubbed Smile.

That trailer was posted a year ago before the show even started airing. I'm assuming it was made for marketing the show to western distributors (like Sentai who've now picked it up).

If even Clannad After Story didn't initially get a dub, then I doubt Guin Saga will either. I could be wrong, though. As others have pointed out, with the right marketing push, this could do well with fantasy fans of all stripes - the question is whether or not Sentai thinks the payoff will be large enough for the initial expenditure.
Dynamic A

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
The TV series on the whole was pretty middling... NTV's policy on blood and violence got in the way of much of the raw, visceral imagery from the novels. I will still be purchasing, though, mostly because I love the novels and support for the anime will hopefully lead to Vertical publishing more volumes!

I highly recommend the first 5 translated novels to fans of shows like Berserk (Guin was one of Miura's biggest inspirations for Berserk, and it shows!) or anyone even remotely interested in the fantasy genre.

-DA
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
Quote:

That trailer was posted a year ago before the show even started airing. I'm assuming it was made for marketing the show to western distributors (like Sentai who've now picked it up).

If even Clannad After Story didn't initially get a dub, then I doubt Guin Saga will either. I could be wrong, though. As others have pointed out, with the right marketing push, this could do well with fantasy fans of all stripes - the question is whether or not Sentai thinks the payoff will be large enough for the initial expenditure.

I really hope they dub Clannad After Story and Guin Saga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4