• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Report invasive ads here (archived)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
I received an...ad i geuss...when i attempted to access the shelflife page. it was basically a clone of a windows XP secutiyr centre with a scanny thing, and a popup giving me the whole "your computer is at risk, click ok to scan" speil.

i scanned my PC with two seperate antiviruses (AVG and malwarebytes) and didn't get any results back.
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:56 am Reply with quote
I received the same popup a second time (this time on the forums), thats twice on ANN and nowhere else so im confident it is coming from this site (i had no other sites open at the time), however there is no "Ads by ..." on it.

I saved two screenshots of it this time.

This is the popup that shows up initially
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd33/ringking01/1.jpg

Clicking to remove it yeilds this, attempting to close it gives a "are you sure" "are you really sure" type thing.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd33/ringking01/2.jpg

the background is also part of the popup, not my computer.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
Re-reading my previous posting here with MSIE 8.0 (clicking on "reload", not logged in, http referer is not suppressed) caused an error message popup to be opened:

Quote:

"Details zum Fehler auf der Webseite" = "Details of error on website"
"Benutzer-Agent:" = "User Agent:"
"Zeitstempel:" = "Time Stamp:"
"Meldung: Bezeichner, Zeichenfolge oder Zahl erwartet" = "Message: Identifier, Character String or Number expected"
"Zeile: 15" = "Line 15"
"Zeichen: 1551" = "Character: 1551"
(looks like the javascript code in this iframe contains a syntax error)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

EDIT: After a few dozen attempts I was able to reproduce this effect and read the text at the bottom of the page:
Quote:
All material Copyright © 1998-2010 Anime News Network. All rights reserved.
FAQ | Contact us | Staff | Staff openings | Advertise with ANN | Privacy policy
Ads by TRSi Rectangle & Gorilla Nation Performance
@peorth

The URL of the iframe (as shown by "show source") is extremely long but I can't seem to find a way to get it into my clipboard. It contains the number "9454" twice, and the source code of the HTML page contains
Code:
"clickTAG=/sponsor/click.php/9454"
which might indicate which exact ad this was. (Apparently the iframe URL is being constructed on the fly via JavaScript?)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

EDIT: After restarting the MSIE 8.0 now every single ad at ANN makes the browser invoke its integrated debugger (!) and highlight the line 252
Code:
var small = $$('form input[name=only]')[0].parentNode.select('small')[0];

with the error message:
Quote:
"Das Objekt unterstützt diese Eigenschaft oder Methode nicht."

("This object doesn't support this attribute or method")

I may have unusually high security settings in the MSIE, and as I don't use this browser normally this might not be really relevant (today I was just bypassing the HTTP-400 issue). So this is just for your information.
NeoMaster1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I've got one. At first, the page loaded a Flash advertisement for Dodge trucks, but about two minutes later, it switched to one of those "Interactive Advertisements" for Finish (those dishwasher detergent bricks) and played the audio automatically, and quite loudly, when it loaded.

The ad credit at the bottom read: "Ads by Robert's Anime Corner Store & Gorilla Nation Performance"

Here's the relevant HTML fragment:

Code:
<div id="rectangle-ad">
<div id="rect-spacer"></div>
<div id="rect-container"  ann_init="check_presence_of_ad(this, true)"  >
  <script type="text/javascript">set_sponsor('RECT',"Gorilla Nation Performance");</script>
  <small>&or; advertisement &or;</small>

<iframe class="aframe js-content" src="http://4nn.cx/104/8470.817.en-US.aframe?http://animenewsnetwork.com/sponsor/click.php/8470/817/1277170172/497657/0/02136075" width="300" height="250" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe><noscript><iframe class="aframe" src="/aframe/fallback.aframe?b=8470-817-1277170172&js=no" width="300" height="250" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe></noscript><!-- s 104 c 817 b 8470 -->
</div>
</div>

Thanks!
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
So the annoying Kontera link ads- they are linking the new little tag words under the new content icons. Thus on the blue icon that says "anime" or "manga" underneath it, the Kontera ad is turning the words "anime" and "manga" blue, thus making them a hard-to-read link. NO!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
So the annoying Kontera link ads- they are linking the new little tag words under the new content icons. Thus on the blue icon that says "anime" or "manga" underneath it, the Kontera ad is turning the words "anime" and "manga" blue, thus making them a hard-to-read link. NO!!

Yeah, I just noticed that one too. We'll get that one fixed soon.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
NeoMaster1 wrote:
I've got one.

Sorry, I was away when you posted this. I've contacted the network to try to make sure no more ads like this happen.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
There is an exceptionally gross ad that I'd rather not see ever again. It's not often I actually complain about ads, but this one is really annoying (because it animates and covers 1/2 of the page upon hover - and doesn't retract quickly) and is super disgusting.

It's the maggot one.

This was at the bottom of the page for the ad:

Ads by Gorilla Nation
@peorth

Please have this ad removed. It's actually deterring me from visiting the site. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan297na

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I second this request. And the other issue with it is when you hover over it it takes a couple seconds to actually cover the page, but the ad has already taken over the space. Multiple times now I have tried to click on something on the page only to realize that it registered as me clicking on the ad.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:08 am Reply with quote
We've had the ad removed from our rotation.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
Thank you so much for removing it. I greatly appreciate it. =)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bca360

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote

Not sure if this is an ANN thing or a Facebook thing. A friend posted a link to the Starry Sky page on ANN (here: anime#11891 ) and a few seconds later I received the above error.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
bca360 wrote:

Not sure if this is an ANN thing or a Facebook thing. A friend posted a link to the Starry Sky page on ANN (here: anime#11891 ) and a few seconds later I received the above error.

I'm also getting this page when browsing the forums. I have not had it happen when just viewing main page articles. Yesterday (12/25) I had a re-direct pop up once with the same website name (pentac.cz.cc). It was one of those fake "Your computer has viruses let us remove them by downloading etc" sites. Today (Sun 12/26) it pops up the Firefox blocking page as seen in the above post. Its very random when just viewing the forums.

Obviously don't download this. Nortons and other security sites mark this as a serious threat.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Bored_Ming wrote:
I'm also getting this page when browsing the forums. I have not had it happen when just viewing main page articles. Yesterday (12/25) I had a re-direct pop up once with the same website name (pentac.cz.cc). It was one of those fake "Your computer has viruses let us remove them by downloading etc" sites. Today (Sun 12/26) it pops up the Firefox blocking page as seen in the above post. Its very random when just viewing the forums.

Obviously don't download this. Nortons and other security sites mark this as a serious threat.

Using firefox and I got redirected to their Reported Attack Page and it was because of this pentac.cz.cc, I think. I'm pretty sure the ad was iCaughtSanta but uhhh.... The add is actually up on this page for me but I'm not being redirected. Weird.

edit: below the ad it says it's from adspacelist.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
edit: below the ad it says it's from adspacelist.
Just in case this was missed the first time around.

This ad seriously needs to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 26