• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Here's my top ten, (not in order of greatness or anything like that):

1) Cowboy Bebop - It might be cliche to pick this show, but I think it's just the epitome of cool. Everything about the show is stylish, the animation is fantastic, and the characters are great. I didn't like the movie quite as much though.

2)Welcome to the N.H.K - I love this show. There is something quite satisfying about watching Sato fall into the deepest depths of despair, then realizing in the end that there is hope for him. I also really love the stories of secondary characters and the struggles they go through.

3)Darker Than Black - Another show that exudes coolness. Hei is a great character, one of my favourites. I also like how the entire series is set up into 2-episode arcs. Bones' series are always great, and this is no exception.

4)Gankutsuou - Definitely Gonzo's best. The art and animation is incredibly unique, and adds to the show's appeal. I'm all for alternate retellings of classical works.

5)Ghost in the Shell S.A.C - Sci-fi storytelling at its best. Great characters, great english dub, and fantastic story pacing as well. And the second season is great as well.

6)Haibane Renmei - The mysterious nature of pretty much everything is what amazes me the most. So many questions are left unanswered at the end of the series, but that's the beauty of it; the viewer doesn't need to know everything. The story works extremely well the way it is, and its sense of mystery is a definite advantage. There's also great art, a great english dub, and great characters.

7)Mushishi - This show is dripping in atmosphere. The stories play out as if they were Japanese folktales and leave the viewer astonsihed at its beauty. Ginko is a great character; he just seems to drift through time and wherever the road takes him. I really like characters like that.

8)Gurren Lagann - When it comes to Gainax anime, I'm definitely a Gurren fan. NGE is a little to "psychological" for me. Gurren Lagann is just 100% fun. The characters are great, it uses its fanservice to great effect, and the animation is ridiculously good. It's definitely my favourite mech anime.

9)Fullmetal Alchemist (original series) - This is the show that really got me into anime.Another great work by Bones, this show has great characters, a great mythology, and a fantastic english dub. The new series is also great.

10)Eureka Seven - Another Bones show that really got me into anime. It can be a little hard to understand near the end, but overall the series is fantastic. Great characters, animation, and character designs as well.

Listing my bottom 5 will be a lot harder, as I haven't watched a big variety. I also read a lot of reviews and reader opinions, so I tend to stay away from stuff that generally has a bad reputation.
It should be noted that these shows are not necessarily bad, they are just ones that I like the least (except for Shuffle and Desert Punk, I hate those two).

1)Desert Punk: I know a lot of people like this show, bu I couldn't stand it. It was pretty much just one big boob and fart joke. The lead character is a giant douche who isn't likeable in the least. I also didn't like the generic character and environment designs.

2)The Red Garden OVA - This OVA was totally unessecary and just plain mediocre. It shows the girls in a futuristic environment with no memories of their past. I was satisfied with Red Garden's original ending, and this just felt like a crappy gimmick to tie up loose ends.

3)Shuffle - I actually didn't watch all of this show, but I didn't need to. The first 5 episodes showed what a crapfest it was. A terrible, even mysoginistic premise, as well as bad animation and voice acting don't help.

4)Sora No Otoshimono - I'm actually watching this show right now, and I'll be surprised if I manage to watch it all. It has a goofy premise, way too much fanservice, and just plain unlikeable characters (though I do like the character Sohara).

5) Gantz Second Stage - I looooooove Gantz. I love First Stage, and I love the manga. But Second Stage leaves the viewer with quite possibly the worst ending in all of anime. For the most part, Second Stage is like the First, that is, great. Like I said, just because this show is in my bottom five, doesn't mean it's bad. I just haven't watched much that I haven't liked, or thought was at least good. Second stage is good, but the ending almost ruins the entire thing. Thank god for Dark Horse Manga. Very Happy
rixrax

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:31 am Reply with quote
Hi there ! Shocked

Alright here we go,

#10 - GANTZ

Actually the Manga is better, the anime ended too fast. I liked the general idea of this anime where they have to kill a random sort of alien. The downside was that it did had a lot of fan service (nudity). I don't mind about a bit but there just was a bit too much Razz

#9 - Air Gear
I think this is an underrated show, just like GANTZ it ended too quickly. What I really like about this show is the OST, in my opinion it's one of the best in all of the animes I've seen so far.
It's also a nice sport anime about some sort of roller skates where the main character tries to go from zero to hero.

#8 - Yu Yu Hakusho
I really like shonen anime, and Yu Yu Hakusho is one of them.
In most shonen anime there are (a lot of) fillers, however in this one there aren't any =D. It also has some tournaments which are always fun to watch, so there's a good reason to let the other characters fight and give them an episode.

#7 - Elfen Lied
Wow, what a brutal anime! lots of BLOOD and GORE. It doesn't only focus on that though, there are a lot of sad and emotional moments and it has a nice story line.

#6 - Monster
Monster really got me hooked starting from the first episode. In every episode something important happens and there are a lot of plot twists. Compared to the other ones this anime is quite realistic.

#5 - Naruto (ep 1 - ~130)
Yeah, why episode 1 till 130? It's because the ones from 130 (or a bit earlier or later) till 220 are fillers, it's a waste of time to watch them.
The ones which aren't filler are nice to watch though. Naruto has great characters (apart from Sakura who is totally useless and stands idle). The great and memorable OST also deserves to be noted. I am only talking about Naruto btw, not about shippudden (haven't seen that one yet)

#4 - Code Geass
Code Geass is that kind of show like Monster and my #2. It has a lot of plot twists which makes your face looks like Shocked. The only thing I didn't like were the robots, I'm not a fan of mecha. (luckily that's not the main point where show focuses on)

#3 - One Piece
Actually this is, in my opinion and probably a lot of other guys, the best shonen anime ever made, and it's still on going! I didn't conclude it after the first ... let's say 50 episodes, but after the Alabasta arc it started to become really memorable. And it will become even more memorable as the characters will develop and become even stronger.

#2 - Death Note
How can Death Note not be on my list? It's the anime which got me hooked into watching other animes. Maybe I should have started with an other anime since there's not really an anime which is as good as Death Note.
Best thing about the anime is the plot twists, it's an unpredictable anime, from the beginning till the end.

#1 - Dragonball Z
Sure, it's not the best anime ever made.
It is, however, the most memorable one. I watched it as a kid and loved it so much, it had a great English dub. At that time the animation was good and the music was fantastic. The battles were epic and I loved all those transformations.
It was also unpredictable on who would die, since a lot of people could be brought back even the main character could die.

Other great animes which didn't made it on the list are Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, Bleach, Hajime no Ippo, Prince of Tennis, Berserk

Alright, now the top 5 worst.
I don't think they are that bad, but I did expect a whole lot more of them, or I thought "again that kind of anime?"

#5 - Cowboy Bebop

I don't get how so many people are able to love it, I guess it's just a matter of taste. The episodes all felt kind of like they were filler. They would try to take the bounty but they would mess up or succeed at the end in most episodes.

#4 - Digimon
The first season wasn't so bad, I remember seeing it when I was a child. The 2nd season was kind of bad but still watchable. they didn't even show the 3rd season on TV here, that says enough Very Happy it went really downhill.

#3 - Neon Genesis Evangelion
Same as for Cowboy Bebop, how are people able to enjoy this one so much? All of the characters weren't special to me.
Oh, and it probably had the worst ending in anime I've ever seen.

#2 - Chrono Crusade
I thought about dropping it more than once, but for some reason I kept watching it, I don't know why though. I don't remember much about it, weren't able to keep my attention on it all the time.

#1 - Harukanaru Toki no Naka de
It was one of my first animes and after watching some others I just realized how bad this one is. The characters look like they could play in a shonen anime, but this isn't a shonen anime. It has a very weak plot and I don't even remember the ending Razz
86mikekl

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Hi everyone I'm new here. I found this topic about Best/Worst animes and couldn't get my eyes from it and I decided to register and write a list too. English is not my main language (I'm from Sweden), but I'm quite certain you understand it well enough Smile

Making a list of my top 10 will be hard for me because I have watched over 1000 anime movies/series/ovas (yes, you read it right). Too bad I didn't rate the animes until quite recently though, otherwise I would probably have a few hundred more rated animes.

When it comes to animes I like or dislike I have couple of general points:
*When something entertain or interest me enough for me to like the anime (the more it does, the higher I rate the anime). It is usually the story, development (very important with positive development), characters (I prefer the characters to be around 17-25 years old) and relations. The opposite effect goes for what I dislike. Whether I love or hate an anime depends of my thoughts about the points I mentioned above. If I don't find neither reason to love nor hate the anime, I usually rate it somewhere in the middle (average). The same rating goes here though, the more the anime entertain me, the higher the rating and vice versa.
*Then there's some other lesser points that usually improves or reduces my experience of the animes such as graphics, genre and music. I prefer fantasy as genre because I'm very interested in it, but I am open minded for all genres. The music can greatly enhance my experience if it's good. Graphics are also quite important. If the graphics are great it improves my overall experience of the anime and vice versa if it's terrible.

My top 10 is the animes I rated a 9 or 10 (of 10).

I gave the following the rating 10 of 10:

1. Elfen Lied - Deepest story of all animes I've watched, the real story begins in episode 8 so don't say it has a bad story if you haven't watched all 13 episodes. Great Graphics. Excellent theme song "Lilium". Lucy is my favourite female character of all time. I've watched Elfen Lied 16 times (yes, you read it right) and I will definitely watch it again...

2. Gundam SEED - Great story about friendship when the characters become enemies. Deep story. Very flashy battles and Gundam SEED is one of few "mecha" that I enjoy. Great characters and their development.

3. Kara no Kyoukai (all) - This anime reminds me of Elfen Lied, very violent and gory. There's a meaning behind the slaughter and hence I enjoy it a lot. Kara no Kyoukai has a deep story and you have to watch all 7 episodes (movies) to understand both why characters act like they do and to understand the story as a whole. This anime probably has the best graphics of all animes I've seen.

4. Silverfang - The first anime I've ever watched. It's a classic and the story is brilliant. It's still awesome even though it's so old. It's quite similar to "Wolf's Rain", but it's better in all aspects except the graphics. I found it strange that not even one mentioned this anime before I did (I began reading at around page 40). The reason it's so great is probably that the main characters are dogs (a few humans are main caharcters the first episodes, then it changes to the dogs) and hence very unique.

I gave the following the rating 9 of 10:

5. xxxHolic (all) - I found this anime decent in the beginning and it slowly becomes better and better. Now, I think it's brilliant. Very interesting story and great character development. I find xxxHolic to be original and very different from most other animes and hence very unique compared to most other animes. The graphics could have been far better, but it's still great nonetheless.

6. Legend of the Condor Hero (all) - Very good martial arts and I really enjoy how the main characters train and become stronger throughout the anime. Very good story and development. Notice that S1 and S2 have different languages which is very wierd (first 26 episodes is japanese and 27-52 are chinese if I remember correct).

7. Saiunkoku Monogatari Very solid anime about how to rule a kingdom. The anime brings up problems and solutions how to solve them. In other words, it focuses on how to overcome difficult situations and there is usually much wisdom behind it. I enjoy most of the characters and together they create a magnificent atmosphere. I mentioned earlier that I enjoy relations and Saiunkoku Monogatari have an insane amount of those. That's another reason I really like this anime. Most characters looks great and I like the music intro which also adds positively to my experience. The reason I didn't give this one a 10 is that it's so slow and it has too little action. I don't think this is a huge problem though and hence I give it 9 of 10. It also reminds me of Legend of the Condor Hero because they share some similarities. The huge difference is the amount of action in them, both are brilliant though.

8. Vampire Knight (all) - Is about the relationship between a human and a vampire, this theme kept me interested throughout all episodes. I found this relationship very interesting and hence I enjoyed Vampire Knight very much. Good graphics and characters.

9. 07-Ghosts - The main character has an mysterius and very powerful hidden power which reminds me of Naruto and Bleach, but 07-Ghosts is better than both. I really enjoy this kind of hidden powers style. The main character gets hunted by the military and gets saved by the 7 Ghosts which also are very interesting characters with their hidden powers. Great characters, story and graphics.

10. Fate Stay/Night - One of my favorites. I like most characters (especially Saber) and I really like how they develop. What really makes me enjoy this anime is the evolving relation of the two main characters Fate Stay/Night has good graphics and a story that keeps me interested.

I want to mention the following because I really enjoyed these too (9 of 10 and no particaular order):

Gundam SEED Destiny - Same reasons as Gundam SEED, the reason I gave this one a 9 instead of 10 is mostly because of the character Shin Asuka which is very anoying.

Shakugan no Shana - I got hooked from the beginning to the end. Great anime and it has been one of my favorites for a long time. Intersting story, good action and good graphics. It was probably the world and how it worked with temporary replacements that made the story so intriguing. Quite anoying main characters though (especially Shana). Was a while since I watched this one so I need to watch it again.

Hatenkou Yuugi - Great story and characters, I don't remember much of this one to be honest so it's time for me to watch it again

Kimikiss Pure Rouge - Probably the best "School-anime" I've seen. Very good relations and development. Most school animes sadly lack serious relations while this one definitely has developed deep relations. I think Kimikiss Pure Rouge deserves honoring for this reason.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Very similar with Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny.

Shion no Ou - One of the best "game/competion" animes out there with a dark and interesting story behind. It reminds me of "Hikaru no Go", but is better due to the deeper story. Great characters and good graphics.

Skip Beat! - Another great competion anime, this time with a showbiz theme. Great characters and story.

Souten no Ken - A very "macho" anime. It's about martial arts and a society ruled by the mafia. It could seem very shallow, but in fact Souten no Ken has a deep underlying story which makes it so good. Great characters and good story development.

Spice and Wolf 2 - Great characters and a very interesting relation between a human and a wolfgoddess. I liked Spice and Wolf as well, but the second one was better due to already knowing the characters and the story was at least as good as the first one. Great development and interesting theme.

Tsubasa Chronicle - Only S1, the others barely develop at all. Great story, deep relation, great characters and good graphics.

The ones I rated 8 of 10 are 85 animes so It's probably a bad idea to mention all of them, it's just too many Razz However if you're interested, I could add those later...

5 of my most hated animes that comes to my mind (in no particular order):

Grave of the Fireflies - I found this movie very boring. The characters are utterly stupid in the way they take wrong decisions throughout the movie. My largest problem with this movie is however that it focuses on how cruel the situation is in a war which got me depressed.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - It's very depressing to watch and I hate being depressed. It also have the worst possible ending. Yes, I know there are some alternative endings. Still one of the worst anime that I actually have seen all episodes of and a total waste of time in my opinion. It focus on the misery of war and I don't find it entertaining to watch misery, that's why I dislike Neon Genesis Evangelion. I do however recommend others to watch it because I know so many love it.

One Piece - Terrible characters (especially the main character) and and childish humor, too shallow for my taste. I gave it a second chance a few years later, but I still thought that it was awful.

FLCL- Eh? I found this anime to be plain stupid. It doesn't make any sense at all. It's supposed to be funny, but I don't find it funny at all. I have tried to watch it 3 times because I know it's very popular, but I didn't manage to finish it off even once because it was so terrible in my opinion...

Dragonball (all) - Very childish, too much for me. The humor is for example farting and burping. The graphics are bad (especially the first Dragonball).

Last edited by 86mikekl on Sun May 23, 2010 7:09 am; edited 17 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Grave of the Fireflies - I found this movie very boring. The characters are utterly stupid

Ehh? Even more than the girl in Elfen Lied who peed herself?

Quote:
Neon Genesis Evangelion - It's very depressing to watch and I hate being depressed. It also have the worst possible ending. Yes, I know there are some alternative endings. Still the worst anime that I actually have seen all episodes of and a total waste of time in my opinion.

I always thought Elfen Lied were meant to be just as depressing. Actually I'd say Elfen Lied is even more depressing, while Evangelion would cause more confusion than depression.

Interesting top 5 worst, though.
86mikekl

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
Grave of the Fireflies - I found this movie very boring. The characters are utterly stupid

Ehh? Even more than the girl in Elfen Lied who peed herself?

You're talking about "Njuu"? If so Njuu was definitely not smart, but there was humor behind it so I rather thought she was funny most of the time.

egoist wrote:
Quote:
Neon Genesis Evangelion - It's very depressing to watch and I hate being depressed. It also have the worst possible ending. Yes, I know there are some alternative endings. Still the worst anime that I actually have seen all episodes of and a total waste of time in my opinion.

I always thought Elfen Lied were meant to be just as depressing. Actually I'd say Elfen Lied is even more depressing, while Evangelion would cause more confusion than depression.

NGE gave me depression because the characters gave me the impression "I feel so bad and just wanna die". It was too much negative psychology.

I didn't get depressed from Elfen Lied at all to be honest. I probably got so in love with Lucy that depression was out of my mind. I won't argue that It's a very sad story though. And yes, I shed a few tears, but that was from the deep story and not from depression.

egoist wrote:

Is that good or bad? What do you find interesting with the worst 5? Do you agree with my opinions or do you disagree? I know many of them are very popular among others, but they just didn't work for me.
archaron

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
86mikekl, I found your top 10 an interesting and fun read, nice job. You should try some of the alternative endings for Neon Genesis Evangelion, I know it made a the series much more fun for me to watch. Granted its been 3 to 4 years since I watched them though.
86mikekl

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
archaron wrote:
86mikekl, I found your top 10 an interesting and fun read, nice job. You should try some of the alternative endings for Neon Genesis Evangelion, I know it made a the series much more fun for me to watch. Granted its been 3 to 4 years since I watched them though.

I'm happy you enjoyed reading it. It took quite some time to write everything down (mostly to check out stories etc...). About NGE, I think I saw at least 2 endings, but I could give the alternative endings a second chance. Do you know what they are called?
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll say 86mikekl that our tastes on anime are about polar opposite as one can get, simply because I find most of your shows you like either average or below average (especially Shana, Fate Stay/Night, Elfen Lied, and Appleseed.)

As they all are well not great would be the politest way to put it, Appleseed gets a double whammy of two 747 planes could fly through the plot holes wing tip to wing tip and be perfectly fine, or so my friends say when I purchased it and showed it to them.

I'd say expand your horizons a bit more...
archaron

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
86mikekl wrote:
archaron wrote:

I'm happy you enjoyed reading it. It took quite some time to write everything down (mostly to check out stories etc...). About NGE, I think I saw at least 2 endings, but I could give the alternative endings a second chance. Do you know what they are called?

There is a 2nd boxset called "Neon Evangellion: Death & Rebirth, The end of Evangelion" it was put out by Manga Video. Its a bit hard to come by, but with a little patience you should be able to get one on ebay. By the way it is a two disk set. I did not like the original ending on the ADV thinpack version I have. Which version do you have? I have been meaning to track down the full version with all the extras and artbox because I heard this series has some nice extra for it. Hope that helps.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
86mikekl wrote:
egoist wrote:

Is that good or bad? What do you find interesting with the worst 5? Do you agree with my opinions or do you disagree? I know many of them are very popular among others, but they just didn't work for me.

Offensive terms used aside, it's your opinion and it couldn't be actually bad. Interesting fact about it, though, is that 3 of them are well over one thousand masterpiece ratings, according to ANN, another is really close to, and the other is one of the most known anime, and manga ever made; also the fact that the same elements you disliked in the "worst" also applies to some of your top 10(as mentioned in my previous post), so the biggest difference between your top 1, and one of your top worst would be that you found a lovable character in the former. I don't disagree with the fact that they definitely are your top worst anime [ever seen].
86mikekl

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
I'd say expand your horizons a bit more...

Now isn't that kinda rude? Anyway, what's good and bad is very subjective. I give most animes a chance, but what I like and don't is hard to change.

archaron wrote:

There is a 2nd boxset called "Neon Evangellion: Death & Rebirth, The end of Evangelion" it was put out by Manga Video.

I wrote it down and I will keep my eyes open for it. It will probably slightly increase my view of NGE in overall, thanks for telling me.

egoist wrote:

so the biggest difference between your top 1, and one of your top worst would be that you found a lovable character in the former.

That is indeed part of the truth. And this reminds of something else about what I like and don't. There's usually something that makes me love or hate an anime, it's mostly the story, but in Elfen Lied there was as stated in my original post more than one reason. The main reason I didn't like NGE was the depressive main characters and depressive story. Apart from that I would probably enjoy it. I gave RahXephon an 8 of 10 and that anime is actually quite similar with it's story. What I enjoyed with RahXephon was mostly it's mystery and it's positive characters, story and development compared to Neon Genesis Evangelion.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I say it only because your top 10 is so,.... generic in so much as taking a random anime off the shelf and getting pretty much the same story.

I've seen some of both your bests and worsts and I feel they deserve neither of those "honors". I think you need to understand what a story is, then maybe you could understand why Grave of The Fireflies and FLCL are well told (and some say powerful and moving) stories. I am asking in essence how does your top 10 move you as to me these series get the honor of forgettable, because they aren't bad enough to be the worst ever but not moving/awesome enough to be the best to me. So perhaps how they touched you and moved you emotionally can help me understand?
86mikekl

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
Updated some of the animes I mentioned with better explanations of why I liked/disliked them. I need to watch most of them again before I can further evolve my explanation. Nowadays I usually prefer watching animes I haven't watched than watching old ones again, but I will definitely watch the ones I enjoy again. I will most likely see a few of them during the summer.

LordRedhand wrote:
So perhaps how they touched you and moved you emotionally can help me understand?

I don't get moved emotionally very often by animes, most of my tears disappeared with age. If they move me it's usually due to deep and heartwarming relations or brilliant music. The ones I remember moved me was Elfen Lied, Gundam SEED/Destiny, Kara no Kyoukai, Silverfang, Legend of the Condor Hero and Fate Stay/Night. That's one of the major reasons I put them in my top 10. The others that I mentioned did not affect me in the same way. I just found those very entertaining (more than other animes) and hence I decided to put them on my top list.

Edit: I just watched Appleseed again and it definitely wasn't as good as before. The reason is probably that there are much larger competition now than 4-5 years ago when I last watched it. It's good now, but not great like before. I still found it entertaining as an action/sci-fi movie, but not as much as before and I found the graphics below average which anoyed me. 7 of 10 now and hence I removed it from my 9 of 10 rating recommendations.

Last edited by 86mikekl on Wed May 19, 2010 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Suxtobeme

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Top 10 anime:
NANA
Naruto
Bleach
Fairy tail
Death note
school days (gosh i rly love the ending)
lovely complex (its so dar n cute and funny)
elfen lied
chrno crusade
rouroni kenshin

Top 5 worst anime:
.... dunno rly
haven't seen one that rly made me go *damn this rly sucked!*
cause those who i think might suck i dont wach to begin with
but well then ill say like rly kids shows like hamtaro/pokemon and stuff like that Razz
86mikekl

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Suxtobeme, you forgot to mention why those animes are in your top 10.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 91 of 122