• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Liked the music more than the anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
Have you ever come across an anime title where you enjoyed the music to it more than the title itself?

I'd say the best example of a title where this occurred with me would be with the first season of Inuyasha. Overall, I found the series to be average at most and no different from shounen craze titles like Naruto and Bleach yet a good amount of the show's musical selections (especially several of the ED musical selections) had me hooked on the show's soundtrack since it actually did well at creating a good mood without making me cringe from feeling like I was being forced to feel a certain way with the musical selections. I'm not an Inuyasha fan, but I am a sap for the show's soundtrack.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:04 am Reply with quote
I gave up on Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles after only a few episodes. Too much shounen nonsense, too little CardCaptor Sakura cuteness. However, the soundtrack was done by none other than Yuki Kajiura, so that is on my to-buy list.
happymoose

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:06 am Reply with quote
snip

Last edited by happymoose on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:35 am Reply with quote
Most of the Princess Tutu melodies are western classic- the synchronisation was made perfectly, but it's hard t say that it's typical anime music.

At first I must say I'm not keen on listening anime music at all. To be honest melodies good itself are very rare. In the most cases soundtrack fit the series, but listened itself is hardly to bear (eg. Guin Saga). The majority of good melodies come from animes that I adore (Utena, Lady Oscar, LOGH), so I can't fairly recommend them to those who don't have similar associations to them. On the other hand I have series whose soundtrack is a masterpiece on it's own.
Noir- Very Good anime. Completely-Awesome-Masterpiece Soundtrack.
b]Naruto[/b]- maybe not a masterpiece, but most of the melodies would work on it's own
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:15 am Reply with quote
Everything Kajiura has scored for. The poor woman, every anime she's been involved with is so awful. It's almost like she only takes jobs for bad shows.

.hack//SIGN, for instance. A travesty. But the soundtrack is great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:23 am Reply with quote
The only soundtrack that I really love all the way and actually listen to repeatedly on its own is the Azumanga Daioh soundtrack. It's just so unique, and when I listen to it, I feel like Im watching the show.

As much as I love Yuki Kajiura, With the exception of the vocal tracks and a few stand alone instrumentals, I don't find myself listening to the actual soundtracks, even though I have a good portion of them as it is.

For some reason as I type this, Im aquiring the complete (such as it is) Haruhi Suzumiya discography, I don't possibly see myself listening to half this stuff, so I don't know why Im bothering, but I may be surprised.

To answer the actual question though, there aren't many soundtracks I like better than the anime. If I don't like the anime, nothing stands out except how much I hate it, or I won't finish it, so obviously the music wouldn't have jumped out at me. I guess I'll say Princess Tutu for the same reasons the other person stated.

Actually I'll say Excel Saga's OST, as much as I liked it, I liked the soundtrack even more.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
DragonBall GT has to be the best example of this, for the OP at least.
King Gainer as well, don't get me wrong as I like the show but most people like the OP more than the show itself.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Everything Kajiura has scored for. The poor woman, every anime she's been involved with is so awful. It's almost like she only takes jobs for bad shows.

.hack//SIGN, for instance. A travesty. But the soundtrack is great.

Yeah, all the series she's scored for sucks. Except for .hack//SIGN, Madlax, Noir, Cossette and My HiME, and the others I haven't seen yet.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this happens a lot. Off the top of my head, I did not much care for Now and Then, Here and There, and while I'd probably call the soundtrack for it the weakest of Taku Iwasaki's work from what I've heard (which is this, Oban, and TTGL), the whole thing still made me go "Am I in Snowpeak Ruins?", which obviously made me enjoy the music because I did like that dungeon for the most part (I tend to like the ice dungeons). As a show though, didn't care for it and I don't even think it's the composer's strongest work, but still pretty good.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Everything Kajiura has scored for. [..]

Yeah, all the series she's scored for sucks. Except for .hack//SIGN, Madlax, Noir, Cossette and My HiME, and the others I haven't seen yet.

Lol. So true. Most of the anime with music by her are quite awesome actually.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Everything Kajiura has scored for. [..]

Lol. So true. Most of the anime with music by her are quite awesome actually.
Well she works with director Koichi Mashimo a lot, so it's no surprise that Kajiura-scored anime turn out disappointing. Although not scored by Kajiura, Avenger was a perfect case of this. Tons of boring inaction scenes, camera pans over stills, uninteresting characters, and a random, incomplete plot. But Ali Project's themes and background music were great. If I watched the show again, which I probably will, I could easily see myself watching the OP/ED nearly every time. There's just something addictive about Ali Project's fast-paced, chime-filled songs with nonsensical lyrics.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I have a couple of these.

Ninja Scroll The Series: I gave up on that, but the music is really interesting.

Project A-KO: I liked the movie, but I sold it a while back. The soundtrack is still pretty good to this day.
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
There are a bunch of Gonzo animes that I remember really liking the music, but the shows were awful.

Such as Final Fantasy: Unlimited, I loved the one ending song with the running Chocobos. Anytime someone sees FF:Unlimited on my shelf and asks me about it I tell them skip through the episodes and just watch that ending theme over and over cause its the only good part of the series.

I didn't hate Speed Grapher, but it's also not particularly my favorite either. I liked the music though.
Zewerr

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:

Ninja Scroll The Series: I gave up on that, but the music is really interesting.

The music in the TV Series was done by Kitaro. I'm kinda suprised that he doesn't have work in more anime. He's one of my favorite artists/composers. I've been listening to him back when I was a wee one, well before I watched anime.

My only example I can really think of is Virus Buster Serge. The entire series was simply poor animation, poor character design, poor acting, and a weak and rather confusing storyline. But the OP was actually rather catchy. Catchy enough to have it on my mp3 player.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The OP of Cyborg 009 2001, "What's the Justice" by Globe. I love the show a lot more dubbed. To be honest, I honestly thought Takahiro Sakurai sucked (putting it nicely) as 009 and Kana Ueda did Epic Fail as 001. However, the rest of Japanese cast I enjoyed. Hell, my preference of Joshua Seth's role of 009 has me saying this, "Sakurai-sensei, look at Seth's role and maybe you could see that suck as him".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5