• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Liked the music more than the anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
There was an OVA from the mid-80s called Leina Stol that I loved the theme song from, but wound up totally hating the OVA itself.

Even though I did like Macross 7, I felt that the show's music was actually better than the show was.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to add a "me too" to the list for .hack//Sign . I was just immensely bored by the series, but the music kept me going halfway through the series before I just decided I didn't care at all about the characters or the (lack of) plot.
common sense

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Now that you ask, there's been only a few cases where I actually enjoyed the music more than the anime, as I'd usually drop it in case that happened. I'd say one of my favorite openings, which actually is part of one anime I wouldn't even put on my top-100. "Kiseki no Umi (Sea of Miracles)" by Maaya Sakamoto (Record of Lodoss War). At first I didn't really appreciate the opening as much as I do nowadays, as back then I didn't really bother that much with openings and such; I was mostly after the good stuff... story, relationship between fictional humans, etc., so I'd usually pay less attention to stuff unrelated to what I wanted at the time.
I'd probably stick FMA's openings/endings in this list, too, but as the anime was on par with them it wouldn't sound really appropriate.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Lied. Loved the music but hated everything(minus Nana) else.
hakojo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
Macross Frontier, for sure - the music was the reason I started watching it in the first place Razz While I've seen worse things than the actual show, I ended up really, really not enjoying it, due almost entirely to frustration with the amazing unlikeability of most of the main characters, and the fervor over the Sheryl/Alto pairing (the two characters I hated the most) just made me react even more violently. -shakes head- It was a bad situation all around.

That soundtrack, though...I'll admit that a lot of the BGM pieces seemed to be annoyingly derivative of any given John Williams soundtrack, but the vocal stuff was incredible. Diamond Crevasse made me sit perfectly still, unable to speak, until it was over. Welcome To My FanClub's Night is unspeakably awesome, and whenever I hear the Formo version of What 'Bout My Star, I feel this wonderful little spark of hope and bravery in me. The Nyan Nyan Service Medley bit was basically a huge explosion of amazing. If only the anime could have wowed me even a fifth as much.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Everything Kajiura has scored for. The poor woman, every anime she's been involved with is so awful. It's almost like she only takes jobs for bad shows.

.hack//SIGN, for instance. A travesty. But the soundtrack is great.

Yeah, all the series she's scored for sucks. Except for .hack//SIGN, Madlax, Noir, Cossette and My HiME, and the others I haven't seen yet.

The shows you mentioned are pretty bad, so yes, she scores terrible shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Everything Kajiura has scored for. The poor woman, every anime she's been involved with is so awful. It's almost like she only takes jobs for bad shows.

Yeah, all the series she's scored for sucks. Except for .hack//SIGN, Madlax, Noir, Cossette and My HiME, and the others I haven't seen yet.

I agree with .hack//SIGN and Madlax, but My HiME was one of my favorites. Sure, the ending was a cheese-out, but disregard that and you have something pretty close to a masterpiece in my opinion. Well, I think I liked it a bit more than others did, but there is no way that it's a "terrible" show.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote
Never seen K-On, and don't really want to, but "Don't Say Lazy" is on my Ipod. That song is downright catchy.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

agree to disagree
CanadianCrippler

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, for sure! The main theme is just amazing.
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
I have never watched Inuyasha or Fullmetal Alchemist, but I enjoy some of the OP and ED songs from both. I wouldn't have been introduced to Do As Infinity if not for friends of mine who watch Inuyasha.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:34 am Reply with quote
I love the OP for Crest/Banner of the Stars, but find the actual show disappointing. The OP, with grand symphonic music combined with vistas of deep space, is truly epic.
meichuu

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
I might be in the minority here, but I've always loved the music of Slayers more than the actual anime itself. The show wasn't bad, but I always seem to associat Slayers with listening to Megumi Hayashibara's wonderful singing. Wink
Shadowvitesse62

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
V6's opening "Change the World" for Inuyasha was excellent, and it's what got me interested in the group. Pity that the anime moves like a carousel, round and round repetitively until I dropped it out of boredom.

I liked .hack//Sign, actually, despite the slow plot and lack of action, since the characters and art and music are what kept me intrigued, especially "The World" and "Key of the Twilight". .hack//Roots, however, loved the music, but anime was much less appealing since the plot was ragged, vague, and bouncy. Characters weren't as appealing either.

Oh, and the piece de resistance: Gundam Seed Destiny. Even if the OP/EDs seemed like they were derived from Gundam Seed, at least Tanaka Rie's performance in Meer Campbell's music was exquisite. And there's not much else to like in Destiny especially since I did enjoy Seed...
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
meichuu wrote:
I might be in the minority here, but I've always loved the music of Slayers more than the actual anime itself. The show wasn't bad, but I always seem to associat Slayers with listening to Megumi Hayashibara's wonderful singing. Wink
I think that Megumi Hayashibara has the opposite effect that Yuki Kajiura does. There are some awesome shows (such as Slayers IMO) that Megumi sings the themes to, but if you really think about it, there are no really awesome, kicking Megumi Hayashibara songs. She's a great singer and all but none of her songs really stands out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5