• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sengoku Basara, Eden of the East, Hetalia Promos Streamed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else get the feeling that the dub of My Bride is A Mermaid is going to be epic?

Also, Eden of the East doesn't even seem like a Japanese anime show, It seem like a American Produced show. They can air this on TV and it would get good ratings.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I wasn't originally interested in Eden of the East...But that trailer has me interested. Now, I'm not much of a romance fan (meaning, I tend to avoid romance series, though I'm fine with a few well-done ones and "horror/adventure/etc with romance in it"), so is the romance so overpowering that it gets in the way of the storytelling? I've heard a lot of positive comments about EotE, and I have to agree that it would fit well on American television.

I find the Hetalia trailer pretty accurate. I know some people were annoyed by it, but it's honestly fairly well-done and will attract those who aren't already curious. Some fans were complaining that it's not in the "true spirit" or whatever, but the trailer isn't about attracting fans, but new customers. (Not to mention if it had been made in and for Japan, everyone would be swooning over it.)

I know some people were curious about the the Hetalia trailer song. Funimation confirmed that it was composed by Jim Welch. Motion graphics for both Eden of the Eat and Hetalia trailers were created by Enrique E.
http://twitter.com/funimation/status/14450783026
http://twitter.com/funimation/status/14450876434

Last edited by RestLessone on Thu May 27, 2010 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Okay anyone else miffed Phantom still has yet to be announced for well...anything? All due respect to the other titles, I'm excited for Eden of the East but where is Phantom already?

I've already come to expect this of FUNimation, silence on most works but vocal on a few but I usually expect the royal treatment for Fullmetal and DBZ. Okay i like FUNimation and all but still...I want my Phantom Sad End rant

Again excited for Eden of the East. Didn't watch the rest fansubbed when the possibility of it being licensed came up. Patients will pay off.

Last edited by Yuki_Kun45 on Thu May 27, 2010 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Anyone else get the feeling that the dub of My Bride is A Mermaid is going to be epic?

Also, Eden of the East doesn't even seem like a Japanese anime show, It seem like a American Produced show. They can air this on TV and it would get good ratings.

Yeah, Im really looking forward to the dub of My Bride is a Mermaid. I'm glad they got Todd Haberkorn to play Nagasumi, he's one of my favorite VAs and I think he fits the role nicely. July cant come soon enough.

Eden of the East looks interesting, but I'm still on the fence about it, so I might rent it first or check out episodes on FUNi's video site.

Hetalia looks pretty funny. I'll definitely be getting that at some point.

And I agree that Eden of the East looks like something that could potentially do well on tv. But where would they air it? Adult Swim only has one more new show left to announce this year, but thats probably the new Inuyasha (although its posible that it might not be), so maybe Syfy? It would definitely fit with the rest of the programming on there.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Thu May 27, 2010 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

Indeed. The minute I saw FUNi was getting it, I knew I had to have it immediately because I knew they'd make it epic.

Good thing there's a FUNi sale on right now! Very Happy
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation will release the 11-episode series on DVD and Blu-Ray on September 28.

*marks on calendar* Gotta save up some money for that! Only question will be whether or not I go with DVD or wait until I finally have a Blu-ray player. Any opinions on that? I'm not just thinking video, I'm thinking economics and long-term necessity.

RestlessOne wrote:
Now, I'm not much of a romance fan (meaning, I tend to avoid romance series, though I'm fine with a few well-done ones and "horror/adventure/etc with romance in it"), so is the romance so overpowering that it gets in the way of the storytelling?

Oh heavens no! At least in the TV series (cannot vouch for the movies, as I've not seen them) the romance is marginal at best. The entire focus is on the Selecao and the mystery. There's a lot of interpersonal drama/comedy/awesomeness, but I would never think of this as a "romance" show.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I honestly wish there was more romance in that! The subtext is everywhere.

Hope it gets on TV someday.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

RestlessOne wrote:
Now, I'm not much of a romance fan (meaning, I tend to avoid romance series, though I'm fine with a few well-done ones and "horror/adventure/etc with romance in it"), so is the romance so overpowering that it gets in the way of the storytelling?

Oh heavens no! At least in the TV series (cannot vouch for the movies, as I've not seen them) the romance is marginal at best. The entire focus is on the Selecao and the mystery. There's a lot of interpersonal drama/comedy/awesomeness, but I would never think of this as a "romance" show.

Thanks! That's nice to know; I'll definitely be checking it out then. I think the confusion may have come from some fans focusing on the romantic relationships. I just concluded it was a romance show...Mistake on my part.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

What reasoning are you using that makes it seem that Eden of East appears to be more like an American produced show?

Eden of the East of very Japan-centric as the plot of the anime is to save Japan.
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
That Eden of the East trailer may be the single best anime trailer that Funimation has ever made. Granted, they've never had a particularly good reputation for making anime trailers, but if this one doesn't sell the series, I'm not sure what would. And would even the purists out there who have seen the series fansubbed deny that Stephanie Young (Clare in Claymore, Arachne in Soul Eater) sounds like a perfect fit as Juiz, the voice you hear on the phone?

And I agree with vashfanatic: the romantic element, while there, is more a peripheral element in the TV series than a focal point.

This was, I think with little possible argument, one of the two or three best series in Japan last year and certainly one of the freshest and most original. Amongst DVD releases scheduled for this year, it's my second-highest priority behind only Toradora! The trailer only gives the faintest taste about why.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

Erm, it's about as Japanese as it gets.
It's set in Japan with a plot about a select number of individuals playing a 'game' to essentially save Japan.
It also heavily revolves around NEETS and that's hardly something your average US viewer would understand unless the dub is completely unfaithful and refers to them as something else.
The only part that feels American is the start where Akira's situation plays off Jason Bourne's. That's about it.
Can't see it getting a TV deal tbh.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I love how there's absolutely no samples of any character other than Nagasumi. That's a really good way to give people an impression of what they're in for with the dub.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
That Eden of the East trailer may be the single best anime trailer that Funimation has ever made. Granted, they've never had a particularly good reputation for making anime trailers, but if this one doesn't sell the series, I'm not sure what would. And would even the purists out there who have seen the series fansubbed deny that Stephanie Young (Clare in Claymore, Arachne in Soul Eater) sounds like a perfect fit as Juiz, the voice you hear on the phone?

And I agree with vashfanatic: the romantic element, while there, is more a peripheral element in the TV series than a focal point.

This was, I think with little possible argument, one of the two or three best series in Japan last year and certainly one of the freshest and most original. Amongst DVD releases scheduled for this year, it's my second-highest priority behind only Toradora! The trailer only gives the faintest taste about why.

About Toradora, I'm some why content with sub release for now. The reason being is that I know it will do well enough to warrant a dub (which Nis has said it will dub it the sales are good enough). I like the subs but I'm even more curious to see what a dub will turn out to sound like.

Also, are guys going to review the Clannad Dubbed release. I just hear alot of dub hatters saying that it's absolute trash and that the voices don't "Sound" like the Japanese voices...... really? Who ever said they had too?
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

Erm, it's about as Japanese as it gets.
It's set in Japan with a plot about a select number of individuals playing a 'game' to essentially save Japan.
It also heavily revolves around NEETS and that's hardly something your average US viewer would understand unless the dub is completely unfaithful and refers to them as something else.
The only part that feels American is the start where Akira's situation plays off Jason Bourne's. That's about it.
Can't see it getting a TV deal tbh.

Then why are they near a white house at 20 seconds into the trailer and why does the description of the trailer say that he wakes up near the whitehouse? "Akira Takizawa wakes up naked outside the White House with no memories" this is the exact quote.

Did japan also build a White House in the show...... I think having a white house in any media form makes a huge reference to where the show it is places.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Thu May 27, 2010 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
They why are they near a white house. Did japan also build a White House in the show...... I think having a white house in any media form makes a huge reference to where the show it is places.

Episode 1 is in Washington D.C. Episodes 2-11 are in Tokyo. Now you know.... (waits for it)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3