• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Google: Unauthorized Manga Site Is Among Top 1,000 Sites

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's pretty awful to see.
I wish it'd go the way of htmlcomics, but manga companies just don't have the funds to do something like that right now. Unless YenPress has sinister plants. C'mon Kurt Hassler, kill em off and take all the readers to the online ed. of Yen Plus :)

Still, there's not much a fan can do expect point out how horrible the people who run this site are, and that fans using their energy/time to read material on it are contributing to fandom in a negative way, and should put their time/energy to better uses- if you want manga, support manga, and buy it or get it at your local library. If you want to read free comics online, read some webcomics, and support the actual artists of the comics rather then some scum who scanned in someone's professional work without their permission.

Don't reward these jerks.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
99% of the anime fans I know IRL use that site, and a small chunk of people I know online.

I'm guilty of having used it before, "poor college student" stereotype and all, but it's insane to see how many people use it. Egad.

It wouldn't be that bad if it was stuff not licensed in the US, but everyone I know uses it to read scans of stuff that is out in America.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
This makes me sick. 4.2 million unique visitors a month, and a billion page views? Maybe this is the wake-up call manga publishers need to attempt the digital market. That is a lot of lost money.

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Fri May 28, 2010 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Wow, that's pretty awful to see.
I wish it'd go the way of htmlcomics, but manga companies just don't have the funds to do something like that right now. Unless YenPress has sinister plants. C'mon Kurt Hassler, kill em off and take all the readers to the online ed. of Yen Plus Smile

Still, there's not much a fan can do expect point out how horrible the people who run this site are, and that fans using their energy/time to read material on it are contributing to fandom in a negative way, and should put their time/energy to better uses- if you want manga, support manga, and buy it or get it at your local library. If you want to read free comics online, read some webcomics, and support the actual artists of the comics rather then some scum who scanned in someone's professional work without their permission.

Don't reward these jerks.

90% of that manga is unlicensed, so there IS no other way to read it. I'm reading ZKV and Sekirei. There's no other way to read those.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
90% of that manga is unlicensed, so there IS no other way to read it. I'm reading ZKV and Sekirei. There's no other way to read those.

I've seen their list, and I think you have your ratio/fractions reversed. Try 90% of their stuff is licensed in North America, and 10% is unlicensed. If you must indulge in illegal scanlations, at least do it via a site that doesn't make money on ads. Go directly to the scanlator, depending on who they are, they tend to have non-profit policies with private web hosts and don't need to rely on ads.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I've used that site before, I will admit that, but I no longer visit that site. I'm not going to lie either, I still use some scanalation sites but ONLY for non English released manga. I've seen some actually official English releases being scanned and put up on those sites (TokyoPop's Peach Girl is an example.) If I know something has a English release I will avoid it like the plague.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Even if it's unlicensed stuff, not paying the creators=MEGA LAME. There's no excuse for that. It's not like you have a right to read them just because they exist- you should pay the creator for it, or obtain it through otherwise legal means.

And let's be serious, they make all their $$$$ by posting Shonen Jump manga VIZ is releasing. I seriously doubt Sekirei is responsible for all those page views.

These people and the Fox site even put up scans of material created for the english market! When people like these are scanning the work of domestic cartoonists [including some I've known personally] it just makes me sick. And as a tangent, I find the fact that an artist living 1/2 way around the world being valid excuse to rip them off pretty disgusting. The people running these sites are poor excuses for human beings, and in no way fans. They're just leeches out to make a quick buck off of naive fans like you.

There's a lot of fans with good intentions who are being taken advantage of, sometimes unknowingly or knowingly [which makes them a part of the whole disgusting affair that is OneManga], and I think there's something wrong about that.
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow...I bet you the person who's running that site makes 1000 times more than the manga publishers make in their lifetime.

How sad. All the guy does is upload the manga chapters on his site. (Or do others upload it?) The original creators get nothing.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit that I've used it before, though only for unlicensed series. However, I know people in real life who leech off of it like crazy. It's not right.

I despise aggregator sites. The individual sites that translate a few unlicensed series are usually not a problem, especially ones that require downloading. However, when you get a large site with a large amount of scanlations that require no downloading, leeches are just gonna crowd the place. Once a scan is up, it stays up. The aggregators need to be killed, no question about it. People even upload original, American-produced comics (such as Maximum Ride) and official scans by a company (I believe this happened with Comic). I hate their sense of entitlement, that they shouldn't have to pay for using a company's official translation and releases.

Seeing these numbers, maybe the parent companies of publishers like Yen Press and Del Rey will take action (anyone see YP's Twitter update?). Those numbers are huge. Take away what people want and they have to go somewhere else--often, this means the bookstore. One Manga, Fox, Helpers, and Hut are the big ones I know of. Seriously, I will rejoice (probably much to the annoyance of some of my friends and acquaintances) if these things are pulled.

AyumiHamasaki wrote:

How sad. All the guy does is upload the manga chapters on his site. (Or do others upload it?) The original creators get nothing.

With these sites, anyone can. Meaning the original creator doesn't even have to do any work, other than pay a server bill. And you're right: all those views will add up to some nice $$$. Maybe there are some people below the creator that get a paycheck to keep the place going, but the ads will trump a measly pay.

Last edited by RestLessone on Fri May 28, 2010 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
AyumiHamasaki wrote:
Wow...I bet you the person who's running that site makes 1000 times more than the manga publishers make in their lifetime.

If it's the MangaFox, he probably has numerous people working under him for pay or for free [again, taking advantage of naive people, or people with poor morals and fan delusions that they're "helping"], who also do the dirty work. While not paying artists or publishers or editors or translaters or anyone who ACTUALLY MAKES REAL MANGA/COMICS
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
IN case anyone thinks this is "innocent" infringement, and the banner ads on that site are just to cover costs...

The guy who owns OneManga is looking to possibly sell it. He's asking for an 8 figure sum (yes, 10s of millions of dollars).

Edit/Note: In no way am I inferring that, should a sale take place, it will actually go for anything near the asking price.

Last edited by Tempest on Fri May 28, 2010 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
itanshi

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Mangafox, I was at a funimation panel last year. They were showing off their website, on about their streaming etc. The predominant banner ad was for Mangafox, no joke. I hadn't even heard of it before then, but sure I did right after :/
Olivine

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

http://www.bk1.jp/
https://www.clubjapan.jp/exec/_magazine/

Yup...no other way.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
This makes me sick. 4.2 million unique visitors a month, and a billion page views? Maybe this is the wake-up call manga publishers need to attempt the digital market. That is a lot of lost money.

Discussion over. You win.
Smile

The fact a manga site hit in the top 1000 is incredible news, regardless of legality.

I'd hate to be the CEO of any manga company waking up to this news while getting ready to attend a shareholder's meeting.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
itanshi1 wrote:
Speaking of Mangafox, I was at a funimation panel last year. They were showing off their website, on about their streaming etc. The predominant banner ad was for Mangafox, no joke. I hadn't even heard of it before then, but sure I did right after :/

That's why I hate GoogleAds. They allow these scum to have ads on their network so they're EVERYWHERE, even on my webcomic sometimes [Girlamatic's editors sent e-mails to Google, but Google is Evil/Busy so what'll they do?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11