• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga: Bride of Deimos

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But these short-story collections often lack an emotional center,

I will admit I stopped caring about Petshop when they moved it from a pets to friggin' dinosaur skeletons. Laughing

Man, I never actually read the series, just saw a few samples. I knew it was going to be creepy, but those descriptions are just effed up, man. I'm really surprised this did not take off, given how popular morbid stuff like Elfen Lied seems to be. But then I don't think even the Ito stuff is that big here, even though it's more recent.
oriana3k

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Jason Thompson wrote:
Deimos, who I imagine sounding like David Bowie in Labyrinth

Me too, Jason. Me too. Razz

Still quite put out that my local used bookstore has every volume except 1 and 4, which, naturally, are the ones I'm missing.

It's sad that stuff like this has such a hard time finding an audience over here.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Anywhere to pick up this title?
Brand

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man I own all seven of those volume put out in English. It's one of those series where I didn't actually think it was written all that well but it was compelling to read for some reason. I've been hoping for years someone would scanlate the rest of it, because who in their right mind would pick this up and finish publishing it.

Daimao Raki wrote:
Anywhere to pick up this title?

Used on Amazon and half.com. Check your local comic book stores. I got most of mine from a comic store in Philly that had the volumes for 5 bucks each.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I picked this up from Book Off NYC last weekend for $1. It certainly wasn't what I expected, but the short stories were rather compelling and the art is lovely to look at.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
brand:
Quote:
because who in their right mind would pick this up and finish publishing it.

Vertical or that company handling Hagio Moto's stuff, if they can get it in wideband.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
Oh, that one has been on my wishlist for a while! I've never actually seen a single copy anywhere in the Netherlands, so getting it for a reasonable price could be tricky.
yuu-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:54 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
brand:
Quote:

Vertical or that company handling Hagio Moto's stuff, if they can get it in wideband.

Maybe not. The author went hiatus and left it unfinished. I don't know if she continues it again in these recent years, though. But I can tell you that it's not ended in volume 17 (Minako is still refusing Deimos, Deimos is torn between her and Venus, and Venus is still waiting for him).
Brand

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
brand:
Quote:

Having read what I have read of Bride of Deimos it is not to the level of stuff that Vertical has been putting out nor is it any where near the level of Hagio Moto's work (I think I almost choked on my drink). I like it and it's entertaining but more in that fun pulp junk kind of way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
musouka

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
yuu-chan wrote:
Maybe not. The author went hiatus and left it unfinished.

There is a sequel, which, judging by its subtitle of "The Final Chapter", will probably end the series. I don't know how it ends or if it's even still ongoing. All I own is the first volume, which was sort of disappointing because it didn't have the same delightful offbeat feel of the original.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote
Another very obscure choice sounds interesting but I do wonder sometimes when is Jason gonna do something "popular" not a Naruto or DBZ level of popular but something less obscure? That being said it's good to see less well known titles get some time in the sun.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Man, I never actually read the series, just saw a few samples. I knew it was going to be creepy, but those descriptions are just effed up, man. I'm really surprised this did not take off, given how popular morbid stuff like Elfen Lied seems to be. But then I don't think even the Ito stuff is that big here, even though it's more recent.

I love Ito, but Ito's manga are a lot more like 'true' horror manga than Deimos. Deimos is romantic horror... it's never *that* gross or disgusting, largely because the art isn't as scary as Ito's.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
Another very obscure choice sounds interesting but I do wonder sometimes when is Jason gonna do something "popular" not a Naruto or DBZ level of popular but something less obscure? That being said it's good to see less well known titles get some time in the sun.

I'm going to do another '70s manga next (maybe I should just have called this column "That 70s Manga" -_- ), but then I'll get to something newer. But the point of this column is to talk about more obscure titles, so it'll be awhile before I talk about anything as popular as, say, One Piece or Fullmetal Alchemist (though I do love both of those manga).
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I bought the first couple volumes of Bride of Deimos long ago around the same time I bought Vampire Miyu, and forgot all about them until you posted this column. I'm going to have to dig them out now for re-reading, and look into collecting the rest of what's translated because you just reminded me how much I liked the title, and why.
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read Bride of Deimos in years. A friend of mine had bought it and lent it to me. I remember liking it, but not much else besides that. I'm going to have to try and acquire this series now.

Parsifal24 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that would defeat the purpose of this column. What's wrong with finding out about manga you've never even heard of/ forgotten about?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2