• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - License to Krill

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenji_salk

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
Shelf Life Review of One Piece Season 2 Part 7 wrote:
There aren't even any extras on his set. Not even a voice actor commentary...? Really?

Carl's Review of the Set wrote:
Colleen Clinkenbeard, Jason Grundy, and Vic Mignogna punch in for the customary commentary track.

Not to be a dick or anything, but I'm not sure how you missed it. Every set has had one commentary track.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
To nitpick, Hibiki isn't a Dread pilot. The girls pilot Dreads (starfighters); Hibiki pilots a Vanguard (mecha).
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
That is one impressive shelf....
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
kenji_salk wrote:
Not to be a dick or anything, but I'm not sure how you missed it. Every set has had one commentary track.

I did not see it (or hear it) but I'll look at my DVDs again...?
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
It's thanks to my own spreadsheets that I don't accidentally buy the same item more than once when I buy things out of order Razz
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My husband would've stayed behind in New York.

Husband?! I thought you were a teenager. Laughing

Quote:
Part of the fun of the Dragon Ball franchise is guessing "Who would win…?" It's vital to see Krillin's true strength.

I think this AMV already answers that question. Rolling Eyes
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote
YAY! Vandread got Shelf Worthy! I honestly think it's superior to its most similar title that I've seen (Nadesico), and it is certainly less ridiculous with characters who are far less obnoxious and annoying than other super-mecha shows (Gurren Lagaan). It's one of those titles that makes me think: "Gonzo... what happened?!?!???" Confused
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:07 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
]
I did not see it (or hear it) but I'll look at my DVDs again...?

They're under the episode selection if you still can't find it.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:23 am Reply with quote
Another good reason to get the latest Vandread release is that it has the OVAs on it...

The OVAs were NEVER released by Geneon/Pioneer and Funimation in the earlier releases!

It's aggravating, yes -- similar to what was done with Shana (also another set of OVAs ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE COMPLETE SERIES RELEASE!!) -- but this is the only way to get the Vandread OVAs legally in the US.

And yes, Vandread is surprisingly better than you'd think it has any right to be...

... But there was a time when most of the shows coming out of Pioneer were well worth a look at. To me, the that whole show (Pioneer Anime) went downhill after it was spun off from Pioneer (the hardware division) and was renamed Geneon. The stuff Geneon chose to bring to the US just could not be sold! Lots of forgettable anime series (a bit too much moe and not enough good action series) came out under Geneon USA to be sure...
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:26 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
and it is certainly less ridiculous with characters who are far less obnoxious and annoying than other super-mecha shows (Gurren Lagaan).

WHOAwhoawhoa... Far be it from me to criticize Vandread, which I love to bits, but let's not get carried away here. Gurren Lagann has its cast of supporting gunmen pilots, and Vandread has Paiway, which have roughly equal annoyance factors. On the flip side, TTGL has Yoko and Simon while Vandread has Meia, which have roughly equal awesome factors.

...And honestly, you get to a point in anime plots where anything past a certain threshold is about equally ridiculous I'd say, and Vandread and TTGL are both well past the line I think. Razz

(Sorry, I just have a bit more love for TTGL than I do for Vandread)
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote
Vandread does not have the needlessly flamboyant gay character, nor does it have the 'obnoxious show-stealing spoiler[it's so obvious you're gonna die 'cause you're such a show-stealing character regardless of being a screaming manchild that your death will be more of a relief rather than a tragic event kind of character'.]
As far as the ridiculousness goes.... Well, yeah, Vandread is a super-mecha show. However, even so, Vandread does not fully rely on "let's unlock more power by screaming louder!" Yes, they do unlock greater powers due to the Pegasus's AI, but they actually have to think about how they implement this power rather than just resorting to screaming louder as was the case in Gurren Lagaan. And on top of that, Vandread's mecha at least looked cool, as opposed to Gurren Lagaan's mecha that looked like something I was sketching up in the 2nd grade.
katzblood

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
I so wish they would release the Vandread OVA as a single disc that I could buy. I do not want to buy it in another format again when I just got the thinpack they released a year or so ago.

I too keep my manga on a spreadsheet for easy refrence when trying to find those out of stock manga ( Eva #9). I also have all of my anime listed on ANN and all of my DVD's listed on Moodb.com so that I can pull them up to check if I have them before snaging them at local shop's used for cheap.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:18 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Vandread does not have the needlessly flamboyant gay character, nor does it have the 'obnoxious show-stealing spoiler[it's so obvious you're gonna die 'cause you're such a show-stealing character regardless of being a screaming manchild that your death will be more of a relief rather than a tragic event kind of character'.]

Believe me, Leeron and Kamina aren't favorites of mine either. Razz Didn't really find them annoying though, much to my own surprise.

Regarding mecha design: I'm certainly a fan of more "realistic" designs (Flag has some of my favorites), but TTGL put out some really great looking giant robots in my opinion. The quality of the artistry is leaps and bounds better than the CG Vanguards and Vandreads. Anyway, different strokes...
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:58 am Reply with quote
Watching the English dub with subtitles would probably distract me too much, like the first time Animax Asia aired their dub of Nodame Cantabile.

(For some reason Star Movies airs the big 9pm Sunday movie with subtitles. Thing is the subtitles are censored while the original dialogue isn't, so "shit" is replaced with "crap" and so on.)
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:31 am Reply with quote
Count me as someone who liked Vandread alot more than I thought I would as well.

I caught the airings on Starz years ago and watched just for the heck of it, prepared for it just to be a dumb and possibly even offensive sex comedy. But alot of it was actually fun, there was an actual sense of menace, and it had a few good dramatic moments (one in particular) and a great What The Heck! moment near the end regarding one of the characters.

It's something I never would have actually bought blind and would never have watched if it hadn't ended up on my cable TV, and I'm glad I saw it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6