• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Man Arrested for Fake Anime/Game Stickers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
he's got fake stickers get him. Don't let him get away.
What are you selling these for, 40 cents a piece, you bastard, stealing money from little kids, tricking them like that...... seriously?
I'm willing to bet Just because of this blunder the guy across the street that was selling bags of cocaine got away..... bravo cops bravo. Laughing
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

What are you selling these for, 40 cents a piece

If you take the time to read the article, the guy was suspected of making more than 2 million yen. 34 US bucks for two stickers is pretty pricey in and of itself.

Normally I wouldn't care; bootlegs exist and there's nothing you can do about it. The people selling them are often out of the country (in this case out of Japan), anyway. But 2 million yen? From Chinese bootlegs he's probably claiming to be the real deal? And he's selling them in Japan? Jail time might be a little harsh, but some form of punishment should be issued.

Last edited by RestLessone on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Firstly- while I'm sure Japan has its share of drug use, I kinda doubt there's coke dealers running all over in Tokyo.

Secondly- the article clearly states those stickers (not the best term for a console skin, really) were sold for $35- that's a fair bit more than 40 cents.

Is putting a guy under arrest for some stickers a little much? Maybe- but illegal goods are illegal goods. They have every right to arrest him for such, and I imagine the incentive to do so is a fair bit better in Japan than for a stateside bootlegger.

I imagine a slap on the wrist from the courts, and a big fat lawsuit from Ghibli. (Honestly, I've never much liked console skins- what's point, really?)
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

What are you selling these for, 40 cents a piece

If you take the time to read the article, the guy was suspected of making more than 2 million yen. 34 US bucks for two stickers is pretty pricey in and of itself.

Maybe Rinkwolf is talking about the stickers the man was selling in his shop. Surely he wouldn't have 1,319 forged stickers only for online auctions.
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Just so you guys know, almost all the console skins on eBay are Chinese bootlegs too.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Just goes to show anyone that if someone has too much time on their hands, they might do something really, really stupid and possibly illegal.

He committed a crime and needs to be punished for it. Two million yen is far too much to ignore, even for stickers. Why anyone would do this is beyond me though.

Wooga, yet Ebay still allows them to be sold on their site. Which means either Ebay doesn't care, know or knows but still wants to profit off them. Given the fact I've shopped from Ebay since the second year of operation, I'd say Ebay probably doesn't know.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Putting someone under arrest for stickers is a bit much. At least give him a warning. I mean come on, they're just stickers. Rolling Eyes
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Assuming there aren't official competing 'stickers' -- or 'console skins' or whatever -- available, I say take a big cut of his profits and let him continue Smile (taking a commission from future sales). Not my IP, though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
He's giving people what they want, like OneManga.
millysoliloquy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
Pardon me for this, but the first episode of Gyagu Manga Biyori is the first thing that came to mind when I heard "bootleg stickers"...

But yeah, agreed regarding the console skin thing. I don't get the appeal, personally. I'd think a full chassis mod would be more worthwhile, but that's just my thoughts.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:01 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
...Given the fact I've shopped from Ebay since the second year of operation, I'd say Ebay probably doesn't know.

No, you were right with your second part. They don't care. They know full well that they sell a lot of illegal goods, such as bootleg DVDs and such, they just don't care because there's money to be made. It's one of the main reasons why I tend to stay away from eBay.

Personally, I'd hope he has all his assets seized because of this. I really have no tolerance for people trying to sell things illegally.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:31 am Reply with quote
I have no tolerance for government imposed monopolies, whether they be by "IP" or by licensing of individuals to perform jobs which artificially restricts the market to the few "experts" which are just those people who successfully lobbied the government for protection of their own careers and higher wages.

That said, I think lying is wrong, so if he was fraudulently selling the stickers as official merchandise I think those who purchased them from him have full rights to a class action lawsuit against him for lying to them.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
teggy16 wrote:
Pardon me for this, but the first episode of Gyagu Manga Biyori is the first thing that came to mind when I heard "bootleg stickers"...

But yeah, agreed regarding the console skin thing. I don't get the appeal, personally. I'd think a full chassis mod would be more worthwhile, but that's just my thoughts.

i can totally see buying a PC tower in the shape of Totoro. Shocked

stick the CDs in his mouth. Very Happy
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Why anyone would do this is beyond me though.

It's because console skins are very lucrative. Hell, even I owned a skin for my GCN.

The article doesn't state if these stickers are legally available, in which case this would be a counterfeiting operation and is most certainly a stupid thing to do.

However, if the stickers aren't legally available...
Ottervinn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote
Wow. It really shows you how much eBay need to start regulating their site. I know it would be nigh-on impossible, but for Christ's sake, I know someone who works for Trading Standards in the UK. They have enough on their plates in the real world, with cowboy builders, fake door-to-door salesmen, illegal imports like foodstuffs that go against EU regulations... While they do investigate internet fraud, it's just too big a pond and they cannot regulate it. If they get reports of fake goods on eBay, all they can do is send a complaint and hope eBay does something, which they seldom do. Rant over.

But yeah, I believe this guy should be punished in some form. Not necessarily prison, but some other measure, you know? Like banning him from auction sites (as what happens to some people in some countries, apparently).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2