• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian Novels Get Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basilisk Steven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
When I read the text, I thought "This might be totally awesome, like an anime version of the Library of Celaeno". But the artwork of the girl made me go: "Really? That's the style you're going with? Has Mio from K-On found a new part-time job?"

Anyway, I'll hold out my judgment until I actually see the show.
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote
Basilisk Steven wrote:
When I read the text, I thought "This might be totally awesome, like an anime version of the Library of Celaeno". But the artwork of the girl made me go: "Really? That's the style you're going with? Has Mio from K-On found a new part-time job?"

How about "The Book of Bantorra"?
Basilisk Steven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:37 am Reply with quote
True. But Book Of Bantorra can be quite action-oriented. I get the impression that this is more a supernatural mystery. The occult books angle brought to mind The Ninth Gate, a generally disliked film which I found quite entertaining.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:41 am Reply with quote
I so want to read this title as "Biblioteca Mystica de Dantalian" as I assume that it's trying to be in English "(The) Mystical Library of Dantalian."
Basilisk Steven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:44 am Reply with quote
Right, with Dantalian being a demon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dantalian
ZenErik

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote
I have no qualms with cutesy character design. Hope it turns out well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote
Basilisk Steven wrote:
True. But Book Of Bantorra can be quite action-oriented. I get the impression that this is more a supernatural mystery. The occult books angle brought to mind The Ninth Gate, a generally disliked film which I found quite entertaining.

i hope that's right ... i'd be stoked for another supernatural mystery to go along with reading Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, When [the Cicadas] Cry, and Mushi-shi.

more than anything, the premise reminds me of the occult libraries in the "weird fiction" of the Lovecraft circle, and with the female bookkeeper it sounds just as pulpy. i hear you on The Ninth Gate ... i also thought of In the Mouth of Madness.

i agree with you about the disappointing character drawing though ... that gothic moe look makes me think this might not be all the premise promises.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quote
The plot sounds like it could be interesting. Will follow to see how it turns out.
Matriel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Basilisk Steven wrote:

Anyway, I'll hold out my judgment until I actually see the show.

gartholamundi wrote:
i agree with you about the disappointing character drawing though ... that gothic moe look makes me think this might not be all the premise promises.

To me the design doesn't look like any K-ON character, although it's clearly moe. (At least she has a nose.) I think the design is cute as hell! With the huge book it reminds me of Reinforce from Nanoha Strikers.

The show looks like it could be interesting, not to mention quite a few manga and anime themed around "dark/gothic" story lines have done well in the US. We'll see how the series turns out and if it's worth being licensed across the Pacific.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Matriel wrote:

The show looks like it could be interesting, not to mention quite a few manga and anime themed around "dark/gothic" story lines have done well in the US. We'll see how the series turns out and if it's worth being licensed across the Pacific.

i'm not disappointed on behalf of the US market -- i'm just figuring (snap decision, can be revoked later!) -- it's probably not for me, which is disappointing since i love the horror/supernatural stuff.

but yes, girls wearing paper doilies on their heads seem to sell to with knee-jerk, wallet-producing precision to a particular audience, and they know who they are. for me though it just stops looking like there was an intelligence behind the story (unless you count a mad Azathoth-like maniacal blubbering intelligence) immediately once you throw a character into black silk with whipped-cream lace.

yet there are exceptions everywhere. higurashi, on that level, totally blew me away despite the overly plain, "cute-looking" characters and seriously made me rethink my stereotypes and archetypes ... so if this new thing hits higurashi-levels of reality-bending and psychological character-twisting paranoid conspiracy i will buy it like mad. i picked up both the anime and the manga for higurashi, and will continue to put my money where the paranoid, reality-morphing supernatural stories hold sway.
fuzaco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
No offense, but I think it's pretty dumb to judge a series by the characterdesigns.
Basilisk Steven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't think any of us are judging the series yet since there isn't a series yet to judge. It's just that a character design like that will serve as waning post for some of us to set our expectations a little less high.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Not interesting enough, like how it was for AC.

Don't care about the chara—WHOA?! A Loli Librarian? Count me in! ...NOT.

Just get it over with twelve episodes.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Pedestrian A wrote:
Not interesting enough, like how it was for AC.

Don't care about the chara—WHOA?! A Loli Librarian? Count me in! ...NOT.

Just get it over with twelve episodes.

<_<

fuzaco wrote:
No offense, but I think it's pretty dumb to judge a series by the characterdesigns.

QFT

anyways, I was a fan of Asura Cryin' and Zettai Karen Children, both written by Mikumo, so I'll most likely check this out. Now the question is who is doing the show....

As a fun fact, Mikumo also wrote the story for Metal Gear Solid Portable OPs Razz
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote
Putting a little 2 and 2 together it looks like the anime studio doing this is going to be Gainax.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1