• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yamaga: New Gainax Work to be Based on Novel

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
And Gainax will make pointless remake movies, OVA's and Yoko in different poses like they did with Gurren Lagann instead of working on their old, in need products like Kare Kano. I kinda look forward to this and hope Gainax doesn't kill the meaning of the show by adding in extra stuff that kills the vibe of the anime.

EDIT: Didn't mean spin-offs, meant remake movies.

Last edited by KanjiiZ on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann's spin-off ain't even out yet! Besides, wasn't it a different company supposed to handle the merchandising?

Either way, hope it's a good one, because Panty & Stocking's premise didn't sound like it was my boat.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
As I mentioned in another thread, perhaps this is just my teenage cynicism talking, but seriously: what happened, Gainax? You've brought us theologically-tinted mech battles in "Evangelion", snide yet loving pops at anime fandom with "Otaku no Video", and singlehandedly changed the face of mecha anime with "Gunbuster", not to mention you've given us quality shojo like "Kare Kano" and hyperactive mech action with "Gurren Lagann."

But you're starting to really slip. A show about kindergarteners that's a blatant attempt at ensnaring moe-crazed otaku? A title which includes the word "panty", a word which should, at best, be used for a softcore "pink" film? And now you give us a generic-sounding fantasy show about children looking for magical books?!

Maybe I'm jumping the gun on this title, and maybe I shouldn't be so weary of the show at the pre-production phase, but I can't hide my dismay at Gainax's more recent works. Is it just me, or are other fans feeling a bit betrayed by a studio who's capable of so much more?
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
A show about kindergarteners that's a blatant attempt at ensnaring moe-crazed otaku?

Again, did you actually watch that show?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Sheesh guys. At least wait until you get more info before you complain. Laughing

This sounds like a kids title. It might be fun.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Sheesh guys. At least wait until you get more info before you complain. Laughing

Thank you! I mean, jeez. All we got was a one sentence synopsis and somehow it turned to "Gainax is awful now!"
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'm quite excited for both of these titles - especially this new one that's supposed to be in Britain, it sounds pretty neat! I'm looking forward to see what kind of twists they'll be putting in them.

It disappoints me to see these negative remarks towards two series that haven't even been fully developed yet. We're talking about Gainax here, look at everything that they've already given us. Sheesh.

Last edited by sepherest on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrizzlingEnthalpy

garfield15 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
A show about kindergarteners that's a blatant attempt at ensnaring moe-crazed otaku?

Or even read ANN's review of the show without watching it?
KanjiiZ

hikaru004 wrote:
Sheesh guys. At least wait until you get more info before you complain. :lol:

This sounds like a kids title. It might be fun.

I have a thing about Gainax where I don't know if a show is going to be great like Ebichu or terrible because Hideaki Anno can't direct without having a nervous breakdown like Kare Kano. I tend to dislike them more than Bee Train because when Bee Train puts out a show, I know it's going to suck but when Gainax puts out an anime, I have some hope left only to be let down.

This thread is going to have two groups: the people who have a disliking for Gainax, and the people who worship Gainax because of their otaku-centric shows like TTGL or Evangelion.

Last edited by KanjiiZ on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

Yes. Yes I have. It was funny, I'll admit, and I warmed up to it after a bit, BUT it still wasn't up to par with what one would typically expect from Gainax.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
terrible because Hideaki Anno can't direct without having a nervous breakdown like Kare Kano.
Anno left work on Kare Kano halfway through the show due to external influences such as the mangaka's dislike for the way Gainax was adapting it. What happened isn't his fault.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

Or even read ANN's review of the show without watching it?
What, can't I watch something and have a differing opinion on it? Not that it was a bad show, again, but I still felt Gainax was just giving otaku what they wanted instead of crafting something genuinely heartfelt or well-crafted. Still, I'll admit it was a funny program. I just felt it was a trifle considering Gainax's pedigree.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Sorry dude, but I'm sure there are directors who dealt with similar issues (like Hiroyuki Morita and Bokurano) and at least stuck through with the show regardless of how the show's quality ended up. A competent director also doesn't have emotional breakdowns and spread it all over his work (bad choice of words).

But again, I'm just as biased as you guys are. I hate Anno as much as you guys probably love 'em, but I've always felt that we need a neutral party in discussions like this.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Sorry dude, but I'm sure there are directors who dealt with similar issues (like Hiroyuki Morita and Bokurano) and at least stuck through with the show. A competent director also doesn't have emotional breakdowns.
David Lynch left Twin Peaks because he couldn't do it the way he wanted to. Is he incompetent? If I were making a series and couldn't do it the way I wanted, I probably wouldn't want to work on it at all either. It takes the joy out of the process of creation. If it's nothing but frustration and you're not even satisfied with the product, why continue?
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

Yes. Yes I have. It was funny, I'll admit, and I warmed up to it after a bit, BUT it still wasn't up to par with what one would typically expect from Gainax.

So just because it was something you wouldn't normally expect from Gainax=Not up to par with the past. If it contains it's own charm while still keeping those little Gainax touches, why can't it be judged as something favorable toward the company?

(And honestly, that is the "moe" that I would like to see more of)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4