• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo's 'Nonexistent Youth' Bill Faces Defeat in June

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There were lolicon far back in the past before there was manga, the Internet, anime!! What's important is to have the heart to face those desires and control them instead of trying to put a lid on them!!

I like the cut of this guy's jib.
Joketsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Finally, some sanity restored to the world. And I agree, that quote is killer. I fully agree with that mind-set; accept it and learn about it instead of crushing it under ignorance! Hallelujah~
ELDRAGON

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Quote:
There were lolicon far back in the past before there was manga, the Internet, anime!! What's important is to have the heart to face those desires and control them instead of trying to put a lid on them!!

I like the cut of this guy's jib.

I love how open minded the japanese are. In America you would probably get sent to jail for even joking about something like that.
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Yet another reason for me to feel bad about not trying to get into Gintama (anime/manga with numerous episodes/chapters are troublesome to me).

Anyway, I hope authors don't give up since those who love to police other people's lives certainly never do.
e-imi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
YES.

Thank god, I knew this terror couldn't last for long.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
To make this quicker, copy-paste this earlier:

"Bill to tighten regulations on sexual imagery in comics likely to be rejected"

Excerpt:

A bill on tightening regulations on sexual imagery of minors in comics and animations will likely be rejected in the current session of the Tokyo metropolitan assembly from Tuesday as the largest assembly group has decided to vote it down, assembly sources said.

The Democratic Party of Japan, together with several minor groups, are threatening to vote down the bill on June 14 unless the Tokyo metropolitan government retracts it, but Tokyo Gov Shintaro Ishihara said the government can come up with a fresh bill if this one is voted down.

With the move, the bill, which places various bans on comics and animations that depicts sexual acts involving ‘‘nonexistent minors,’’ a definition of characters that readers or viewers would most likely assume to be under 18, will likely face further debate from this fall.

The bill urges the animation and comic industry to impose voluntary restrictions on the sale to minors of works that depict sexual situations involving ‘‘nonexistent minors.’‘

It also designates some of those publications that deal with materials such as rape as ‘‘harmful materials’’ and bans minors’ access to them.

So it looks like vaporware. Move along; nothing to see here. Much ado about nothing....... like the Okinawa base relocation issue. Laughing
keikanna44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Thank you Japan for coming to your senses, remaining open minded and not being another boring America. Very Happy
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
Laughing
Oh Gintama. Why so awesome.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
It does seem a very American style "solution" to a problem - "lets pass a law that is sidesteps the problem because its easier to pass!!!"

If censoring manga and anime did reduce the incidence of child molestation ... why would it be restricted to sales to minors? Indeed, wouldn't adult buyers be the primary target?

Its like addressing the problem of major corporations in the US flouting the intent of employment law while more or less abiding by the letter by "securing the border", as if switching illegal employment to people overstaying legal visas "fixes it".
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:36 am Reply with quote
Joketsu wrote:
Finally, some sanity restored to the world. And I agree, that quote is killer. I fully agree with that mind-set; accept it and learn about it instead of crushing it under ignorance! Hallelujah~
Basically what he's saying is that lolicom has been around as long as homo-erectus has been around, maybe even further back. Seeing as this bill was only about restricting sales to minors, all this overreaction is just meal ticket posturing. With the recent quiting of the new PM after only 8 months in that position, I expected this to happen anyway as the bill was poorly written, and far too vague. This new government is proving to be a weak stalk in the winds of controversy. Lets see if they can do better in September.
Aznwavez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, they have no idea what they are doing. Do they not understand that taking away lolicon anime will only lead to more problems. I'm a lolicon fan myself and would never even think about real minor girls. Anime is my outlet, my escape. I have a gf and plan on marrying eventually, maybe not with her but with the right one. I've grown up off violent anime, rape hentai, loli hentai and a combination of everything bad in it. And like the guy said above earlier about lolicon existing for a long time, he is right. Its a mental mindset or orientation that you're born with, kinda like homosexualism etc. Kind of hard to fix.

Shakugan no Shana ftw! v (Anime smile) v
Ergzay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:40 am Reply with quote
Finally. I'm glad to see this getting shot down. Lets hope it keeps getting shot down. Japan is the last place on earth where the feminists haven't taken over. The last bastion per say. Let's hope they can continue to hold out until it can start spreading back to the west again.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:11 am Reply with quote
[quote="Mohawk52"]
Joketsu wrote:
With the recent quiting of the new PM after only 8 months in that position, I expected this to happen anyway as the bill was poorly written, and far too vague. This new government is proving to be a weak stalk in the winds of controversy. Lets see if they can do better in September.

Except...the party pushing this bill isn't the majority party.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote
Ergzay wrote:
Finally. I'm glad to see this getting shot down. Lets hope it keeps getting shot down. Japan is the last place on earth where the feminists haven't taken over. The last bastion per say. Let's hope they can continue to hold out until it can start spreading back to the west again.

The bill is not being characterized by either side as pro-feminist. If anything, the opposition includes such noted feminist writers as Moto Hagio, and Gintama creator Hideaki Sorachi is indirectly saying through his manga that opposing the bill is in line with feminist philosophies.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
Glad it's over. It's not that I like Lolicon but if that bill did ever went into effect. That means some of the anime/manga like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Kiddy Grade, Rosario + Vampire, Shakugan No Shana, and Strike Witches will have to be wipe off the face of the earth because of the portrayal of the child.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2