• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, BioWare Work on Animated Dragon Age Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
Sounds like it could be cool. But I would have much preferred Mass Effect, being more a science fiction fan (though I haven't played any of either franchise Razz).
sjp117

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
If they do this right.... This will be awesome!
Has it been done right before? Debatable......
What I want to see is Mass Effect over Dragon Age though...
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, I guess this is one of the first co-productions' that FUNI was talking about.
I guess I have mixed feelings about this being adapted into a film, since the game (which I'm currently still play) is meant to be played from many different angles, so making a film that shows how the story could go isn't very exciting in my opinion.
Don't get me wrong if the animation, sound, and plot are done right this might be a very successful film. It's defiantly something to look forward too.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
I thought Funimation was going to announce their first co-production at Anime-Expo this year? I guess not.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
I'm curious if this will be a full length movie or a series of vignettes like Dante's Inferno and Halo.

I'd throw a vote in for a film in the Bioshock universe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
So, what exactly is Dragon Age about?
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
This is fail in my opinion. They do Dragon Age when they have Mass Effect staring them in the face? Dragon Age despite being a very good game is your same old generic medieval tale of knights and magic and what not. Mass Effect however is much more original and can be turned into a full blown anime franchise assuming the first project was done right.

I'm not exactly a fan of the whole swords and magic D&D kinda stuff but I will give this a shot just because it's funi's first co pro.

Also I really hope this is being timed with a Dragons Age sequel or something otherwise people are gonna have completely forgotten about the game when this comes out and no one will care enough to buy it other then the hardcore fans which kinda eliminates the point.

Last edited by Reibooi on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
outlaw55

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

Here ya go: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+exactly+is+Dragon+Age+about%3F
Laughing
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

In short Dragon Age is about the second Blight which is this evil terror that is attacking the lands of Ferelden. In the game your character is selected to become a Grey Warden, a group of people who are meant to protect the world from the Blight. In a tragic accident you become one of the sole survivors of the Grey Wardens, and have to gain support from the elfs, dwarfs, and humans, who are gridlocked into a civil war for the throne.

Well that's my summary of it, the Blight sounds lame, but the game is very well crafted the mission of trying to gain support from the different races.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

It's basically a take on a standard fantasy hero tale: a group of heroes bands together against an evil that threatens the entire world, in the midst of a tenuous political climate.

...But with snark. Wink It was a pretty fun game for me, primarily because the characters were very colorful. I played for hours doing sidequests and stuff not because I needed gear or anything, but because you get to keep three party mates with you at all times, and each pair has its own set of dialogue that it'll sort of randomly start up, some of which is specific to how you've played the game. Like, after my female rogue started boinking Alistair, any time Alistair was in my party someone else would tease/prod/advise him about it all in a manner appropriate to their character. I particularly enjoyed having (paladin-ish) Alistair in the party with (dark mage) Morgan so they could bicker.

Very, very amusing. If they can keep that sort of light-hearted tone in the film, along with the character Shale (who was an optional DLC in the game), I'll be pretty content.

Although since they say they'll "continue the robust Dragon Age story," maybe we won't get to see all of the original cast...
the_punisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's not Mass Effect due to the fact that they're working on a live-action movie right now.

I haven't played DA:O yet but I've heard good things.

However, Halo Legends was disappointing, and Dante's Inferno (the anime) was terrible, so here's to hoping that they get this one right.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Electronic Arts' BioWare game studio and ...

Translation: the DVD will require 24 hour online connectivity in order to view the anime. For those who buy the anime used, they'll be required to purchase a $20+ activation code in order to view it.

In other words, I despise EA and will not support them under any circumstances, including a co-production with FUNimation.

Sorry, Gen, but I'll be passing on this one.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Quote:
Electronic Arts' BioWare game studio and ...

Translation: the DVD will require 24 hour online connectivity in order to view the anime. For those who buy the anime used, they'll be required to purchase a $20+ activation code in order to view it.

In other words, I despise EA and will not support them under any circumstances, including a co-production with FUNimation.

Sorry, Gen, but I'll be passing on this one.

You can't fault EA on half the stuff they do. While we could debate all day on whether or not piracy effects book/film/music sales, it's a well established fact that piracy is a major and rampant problem in the gaming industry. Throw on the fact that people would rather pay $50 for a used copy of a game than $60 for a new copy, and you have Game Stop leaching the developers for all they can get.

Pirates + Game Stop = EA doing stupid stuff that doesn't work in a poor attempt to prevent loss of direct sales.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
I do dislike the discouragement of buying used games, but I understand WHY and cannot blame game developers/publishers for wanting to minimize the sale of used games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
This is fail in my opinion. They do Dragon Age when they have Mass Effect staring them in the face? Dragon Age despite being a very good game is your same old generic medieval tale of knights and magic and what not. Mass Effect however is much more original and can be turned into a full blown anime franchise assuming the first project was done right.

Bioware just announced a LIVE ACTION Mass Effect movie about two weeks ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4