• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-06-09

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoktorZetsubou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Totally guilty of making anime assumptions about real life like that, haha.

Congratulations on your marriage!
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
that actually made me laugh out loud.

congrats on your impending marriage.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I will miss the Nina comics, but congratulations and good luck on the upcoming wedding!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Ouch. Feel sorry for that girl. Should have landed harder and on certain parts heh. And yes big congratulations to you Robin on your upcoming wedding. Hopefully everything goes off wonderfully and it's as magical and happy as you hope. And enjoy the honeymoon wherever you may be going. If it's Vegas good luck at the tables lol. At least if it is Vegas and you lose everything in some late night gambling fit you can draw Nina comic strips for cab fare to get home lol. I bet Justin will be scarce here at ANN too soon to help. Best wishes to you and the soon to be new member of your family.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations on the wedding! Smile

As for the comic, talk about a jerk.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Love the comic. Anime hyper I'm sure several girls had found themselves in that position - and several guys on the receiving end of a slap to the face.

And congrats on your upcoming wedding Robin! ^^
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations.

I often think what it would be like if the things that happen in anime were to happen in real life.
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I guess certain tropes of anime just don't apply in real life....kinda of a bummer....I would've kicked him in the shin's though....

P.S. I had started to wonder why the comic hadn't shown up lately. But this is lovely news! Congrats!! Very Happy
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
Why're so many people down on the guy? I'd be upset too if a bag of meat and bones fell on me... Anime dazed
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
You know, I'm a little surprised that everyone's jumping on the "yeah, too bad anime isn't real life" boat, and no one's looking at the fact that, as the strip was drawn, the girl looks to be a healthy young woman. Yet, because she's not stick thin, she's fat.

There's a difference between being able to hula-hoop with a cheerio, and being a healthy, non-obese weight, and that's lost on a lot of America. It makes me a bit sad that, for me at least, the "punchline" of the strip is lost over the sad fact that the man was a jerk echoing what a lot of Americans feel, and that's caused a lot of girls to hurt themselves badly with eating disorders.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Congratulations Robin! Hope married life suits you! If you are always honest and if you understand that no one is perfect, you'll probably be very happy.

Now about the comic: 2 issues I have.

1: Wow, that guy was a total jerk. Even if someone fell on me, I'd want to find out if they were okay before I even considered getting pissed. I mean, damn, it's not like she did it on purpose A-hole. (Sadly, how many people are like this in everyday life now? It's like the whole world's going insane bit by bit.)

2: What the heck happened to comic 107? It jumps from 106 to this one, 108. At least, I can't seem to find 107. (Is my search-fu weak or is it just not there?)
BigKwell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
I would've LOVED to kick that guy in his nuts!

BTW - congrats on your pending nuptials!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
You know, I'm a little surprised that everyone's jumping on the "yeah, too bad anime isn't real life" boat, and no one's looking at the fact that, as the strip was drawn, the girl looks to be a healthy young woman. Yet, because she's not stick thin, she's fat.

There's a difference between being able to hula-hoop with a cheerio, and being a healthy, non-obese weight, and that's lost on a lot of America. It makes me a bit sad that, for me at least, the "punchline" of the strip is lost over the sad fact that the man was a jerk echoing what a lot of Americans feel, and that's caused a lot of girls to hurt themselves badly with eating disorders.

I was going to post this and you beat me to it. It's so sad to see tabloid covers where I work with all these celebrity shots saying how fat they are, when they're certainly better and healthier looking than some scary skinny people. I felt so sorry for the girl (and I'm sure this does happen IRL) What a jerk! If the comic wasn't going on hiatus, I would've asked for the guy to receive a horrible comeuppance in the next strip.

And good luck with your upcoming marriage. Huzzah!
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
Ah, the cold sting of reality... the guy is still an absolute jerkwad.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
Nina failed to notice one important piece of this puzzle: plaid shirt = immune to whirlwind shoujo romances.

PS - can we please not focus on his use of the f-word in going for a more biting remark, rather than the pedestrian "clumsy oaf?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5