Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-06-12]


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3210
Location: NE Ohio
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote
YuYuUrameshi wrote:
Of course they can't be up to date on everything, which is why there should be translations so that interested consumers can see what they are missing.


"Should" in this sentence meaning "it ought to be"?

Or do you mean, "it would be nice".

Sure it would be nice. A living wage and something close to full employment and nobody dying in senseless wars overseas and the Gulf of Mexico not full of poison to keep the oil from show up on camera would be nice, but its not going to happen very quick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
YuYuUrameshi



Joined: 13 Oct 2004
Posts: 40
Location: Washington USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Stupid Bleach fans need to stop whining. It's pretty much guaranteed they will be able to read the whole series in English eventually. But what about Apothecarius Argentum, Naru Taru, Swan and all those countless series that where dropped halfway through? Bleach fans have it easy, they just need to have some patience.

I know what you're talking about first hand. I was collecting E's Otherwise when it cut out right after the fourth volume.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LordByronius
ANN Columnist


Joined: 06 Feb 2002
Posts: 861
Location: Philippe for America! He is five.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
YuYuUrameshi wrote:
Of course they can't be up to date on everything, which is why there should be translations so that interested consumers can see what they are missing.


i dunno, why can't you just wait?

why can't people just wait it out? i don't understand why this is even a thing. nobody has made any argument that makes any rational sense as to why they can't simply wait a little while for the newest volumes to arrive stateside for big, popular series. i know it's a bit different when it comes to titles that aren't licensed yet or older stuff, but let's be completely honest here and say that the bulk of scanlations are from Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece and the like. there will be a new Naruto volume, in English, readily and easily available both on amazon and in bookstores very shortly. what in christ's name is so wrong with waiting a little while for it?

i mean, ok. Sylvain Chomet has a new film coming out, called The Illusionist. it played at Cannes and a few other film festivals, which means that it's FINISHED, and i'm DYING to see it. but, gasp! there's no official US release date! there will be one soon enough, no doubt, but... I MIGHT HAVE TO WAIT A LITTLE WHILE!! I MIGHT EVEN HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL, PERHAPS, OCTOBER OR NOVEMBER OR PERHAPS LATER!!

it is WRONG for the companies who own that film to NOT MAKE IT AVAILABLE TO ME AS SOON AS I AM MADE AWARE OF IT!! why, i would be WELL WITHIN MY IMPATIENT RIGHT simply to march into their offices and STEAL A FILM PRINT myself! or to, i guess, simply pirate a camcorded copy of the movie for free. i dunno.

what the hell. just... why is waiting for something so terrible? your life will not be forfeit if you don't know the latest MOST UP-TO-DATE bullshit about Bleach the very second it's made available in Japan. i know everyone wants to go on 4chan's anime board and talk shit about how much the latest chapter sucks and how this chapter sucks more than the last fifty chapters that they still keep reading from scanlation sites every week for some sick reason, but... seriously, guys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zhir



Joined: 03 Dec 2005
Posts: 350
Location: Nampa, ID, USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

what the hell. just... why is waiting for something so terrible? your life will not be forfeit if you don't know the latest MOST UP-TO-DATE bullshit about Bleach the very second it's made available in Japan. i know everyone wants to go on 4chan's anime board and talk shit about how much the latest chapter sucks and how this chapter sucks more than the last fifty chapters that they still keep reading from scanlation sites every week for some sick reason, but... seriously, guys.


Snark aside, I think that is the main reason most people read scanlations (or fansubs or whatever). People like to discuss things with other people. That's just the way we're wired. I can understand people being frustrated if you can't discuss something you like with anyone because you are always a tiny bit behind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rockman nes



Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 268
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
i know everyone wants to go on 4chan's anime board and talk shit about how much the latest chapter sucks and how this chapter sucks more than the last fifty chapters that they still keep reading from scanlation sites every week for some sick reason, but... seriously, guys.


Tch, if you think Bleach manga readers complain alot, then you clearly haven't seen Naruto manga readers... >_>


Paploo wrote:
jrnemanich wrote:
Thank you for saying that Paploo, I was just about to do the same.


I've decided my new hobby is to point out obvious stuff people have overlooked on the forums Anime smile Because there are facts in my brain and they need explaining!


Though you're mostly right, the level of smug in each of your posts is just astounding.

Weaboos... Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shiro_Shishi



Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 25
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:54 am Reply with quote
@LordByronius

I love you.

THANK YOU for actually being smart about releases.People are just so freaking impatient these days, it really ticks me off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7270
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:06 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
i dunno, why can't you just wait?


I'm sure they could. Maybe not all fans will admit that but they certainly could. But regardless...why should they? I mean, if people buy the books when they do come out, whatever. It just seems like a non issue to me. I don't know why are some people are so determined that they have to speak up and insist that people wait just because they could. What's more, why do people feel they have so be so utterly rude and impossibly smug about it? I mean, lets look at YuYuUrameshi here. Despite the fact that right off the bat you're being extremely nasty in the column, he just comes in here and in a perfectly calm and friendly way explains his point of view. But right off the bat he's got several guys jumping on him and most of em are being just as nasty. When you look at this, it's no surprise that a lot of people get defensive and refuse to admit they can't just wait. I really find the whole argument frustrating. It could be such a non issue and yet people get so up in arms over it on both sides.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Shiro_Shishi



Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 25
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:27 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I'm sure they could. Maybe not all fans will admit that but they certainly could. But regardless...why should they? I mean, if people buy the books when they do come out, whatever. It just seems like a non issue to me


But then there's the people who read something and will NEVER buy it.

I know people who have read all the chapters of Naruto and they only bought the first english volume. Where as I actually am NOT up to the latest chapter and buy the english volumes when they come out,because I want to support the manga-ka that I like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7270
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:55 am Reply with quote
Shiro_Shishi wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I'm sure they could. Maybe not all fans will admit that but they certainly could. But regardless...why should they? I mean, if people buy the books when they do come out, whatever. It just seems like a non issue to me


But then there's the people who read something and will NEVER buy it.

I know people who have read all the chapters of Naruto and they only bought the first english volume. Where as I actually am NOT up to the latest chapter and buy the english volumes when they come out,because I want to support the manga-ka that I like.


Absolutely. People need to support the industry. For all the bullshit and argument that constantly surrounds the issue of piracy, it very frequently comes back to this simple fact. But that's exactly why I think, if you're going to rant about piracy, you should make that your core point. Buy the stuff when it's released. If people do that, then a ton of this other crap is not a problem.

So why get so hung up in something like this? It just distracts from the core point and creates another silly bile filled and derisive issue and where does that leave us? Well I can tell you exactly where, it leaves us in a situation where YuYuUrameshi can come in, explain that he does buy the stuff when it's released and nobody even pays it any mind. Everyone is too busy jumping into this whole ridiculous pissing contest over something that doesn't really even matter. That seems pretty ridiculous to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Orange Hollow



Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Posts: 61
Location: Krasnoyarsk, Russia
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote
What's so wrong with reading scanlations, for latest chapters of the series, and then buying books, when they come out in your native language? Seriously, why i have to "WAIT A FEW ****ING MONTHS"? I mean, do you think some douche or another will fail to spoil me, that spoiler[Ace dies], while i'm waiting?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
irriadin



Joined: 22 Jul 2009
Posts: 22
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
i dunno, why can't you just wait?

why can't people just wait it out? i don't understand why this is even a thing. nobody has made any argument that makes any rational sense as to why they can't simply wait a little while for the newest volumes to arrive stateside for big, popular series. i know it's a bit different when it comes to titles that aren't licensed yet or older stuff, but let's be completely honest here and say that the bulk of scanlations are from Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece and the like. there will be a new Naruto volume, in English, readily and easily available both on amazon and in bookstores very shortly. what in christ's name is so wrong with waiting a little while for it?


Let me just say that for Bleach, at least, we are on a release schedule that lags far, far behind japan. Currently there are 31 volumes available from Viz; there are 45 released in Japan. So we're about 2.5 years behind. The wait is almost interminable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tamaria



Joined: 21 Oct 2007
Posts: 1499
Location: De Achterhoek
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
Orange Hollow wrote:
What's so wrong with reading scanlations, for latest chapters of the series, and then buying books, when they come out in your native language? Seriously, why i have to "WAIT A FEW ****ING MONTHS"? I mean, do you think some douche or another will fail to spoil me, that spoiler[Ace dies], while i'm waiting?


As long as you're buying... But still, nobody forces you to read the discussions on forums. Avoid those and you can leave a happy, 99% spoiler free life. There are still people out there who don't know ***** dies in ***** *******! Or * dies in ***** ****!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Paploo



Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1875
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:57 am Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:

Though you're mostly right, the level of smug in each of your posts is just astounding.

Weaboos... Confused


Nice personal attacks there Rockman, I suppose that's what people jump to when they've run out of actual useful things to say though. I'm guessing it has less to do with me, and more to do with something you like [free scanlations] being threatened- well sorry, but they're not being tolerated anymore, so it'stime for fandom to grow up, go with legit options, and stop whining about their collective binky being taken away. I can sympathize with something you enjoy being taken away, but I also imagine that you're mature enough to handle that, and hope that you can work with the creators and publishers of the thing that you love to make fandom a better place.

From all you know, in a few years, things might be working just fine for you and the companies, so I would suggest having some patience and seeing how things work out before jumping at everyone

For the record, the reason why I don't like scanlations is I find it very smug and holier than thou to think you have a right to steal someonelses creative works just because you're a fan of it. So yeah, that's my major issue with it right there.

Anyhoo, mostly just trying to be helpful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paploo



Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1875
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't know why are some people are so determined that they have to speak up and insist that people wait just because they could. What's more, why do people feel they have so be so utterly rude and impossibly smug about it?


I dunno, because I find it utterly rude and impossibly smug that people think it's okay to steal someone's creative work just because they don't have the patience to wait 2 to 6 months for the legal edition because they're so uberspecial they deserve it ASAP damn whatever the artists and publishers say?

Stuff like that makes people bitter fast. 5 or so years of it makes people VERY bitter, so I'm shocked that some fans get mad at fans like me getting mad at them for whining about not getting their Bleach fast enough. When it fills up 20 pages of a thread, you tend to want to call people out on their bullshit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paploo



Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1875
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
irriadin wrote:

Let me just say that for Bleach, at least, we are on a release schedule that lags far, far behind japan. Currently there are 31 volumes available from Viz; there are 45 released in Japan. So we're about 2.5 years behind. The wait is almost interminable.


Did you not seeing the Naruto Nation link I posted? We're only 15 vols or so behind the japanese one. If VIZ decides to have a Bleach Nation, one ONE MONTH we will jump ahead 2 years. They've done it for One Piece, done it for Naruto multiple times, so eventually once enough volumes pile up, they'll do it for Bleach.

And seriously, waiting 2.5 years for something would never of been a problem if you hadn't resorted to bootlegs. You could of just enjoyed the series as it came out. If more people did that, VIZ probably would be releasing it quicker like they did with Kenshin, becasue sales and available shelf space would merit it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group