• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming - When They Cry 1-26 dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
Delicious. That's the word I use to describe this masterpiece. Delicious.

Kenji's music is enough to rough me already! I like this dub in particular (and I don't notice any decline in quality that others seemed to see...)
The subtle messages of friendship and trust are quite powerful too.

When They Cry is one of those "If you haven't seen this, you haven't seen anime!" series.
Hope Funi freezes hell over by licensing the 2nd season... and recruiting the ol' English cast!!! Now THATS a cold hell!!!
ZenErik

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote
Used to own this series. The opening theme is great but not much else, IMO. The art is pretty dismal which is understandable since the source material didn't give them much to work with. The particular mixture of cute and psycho killer in Higurashi didn't work quite right with me. I do not mind such mixtures when done right, but the cute parts just came off as annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Koji98

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Delicious. That's the word I use to describe this masterpiece. Delicious.

Kenji's music is enough to rough me already! I like this dub in particular (and I don't notice any decline in quality that others seemed to see...)
The subtle messages of friendship and trust are quite powerful too.

When They Cry is one of those "If you haven't seen this, you haven't seen anime!" series.
Hope Funi freezes hell over by licensing the 2nd season... and recruiting the ol' English cast!!! Now THATS a cold hell!!!

Personally, I didn't really like the dub, and I'm a dub fan. Plus I had problem where every time a specific character talked, all I could hear was this character:

But hey, I'm glad they posted the entire series on here. Now I can send the link off to some friends of mine who have yet to watch it.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

Tell me about it. Without the second season we're left with a bunch of unanswered questions. I still love season 1, but it feels incomplete on it's own.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
I just bought the new thin pack which I haven't opened yet, so this is my first time checking out the dubs, and ugh... can't stand it. Actually it sounds unintentionally hilarious Laughing
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:26 am Reply with quote
Can't see Kai getting licensed anytime soon. It got lost in Geneon's collapse and never really generated much in the line of hype, even after it's rescue. By all means, prove me wrong on this one FUNi.

At this point, you're probably best off getting the sound novels if you want to finish the story.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:40 am Reply with quote
Sweet, already own the series and loved it. Glad to see it got uploaded onto here and is getting more exposure.

PlatinumHawke wrote:
Can't see Kai getting licensed anytime soon. It got lost in Geneon's collapse and never really generated much in the line of hype, even after it's rescue. By all means, prove me wrong on this one FUNi.

At this point, you're probably best off getting the sound novels if you want to finish the story.

I've heard a few times from Adam at FUNi saying When They Cry is a good seller at conventions. But no word on Kai, they'll probably have to wait for Geneon's license to expire or something.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:43 am Reply with quote
well the whole 7th expansion franchise is really never complete AFAIK You've got Higurashi Rei after Kai, then rewinding back and branching off you've got Umineko and that whole universe is still ongoing if I'm not mistaken
Koji98

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:17 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
well the whole 7th expansion franchise is really never complete AFAIK You've got Higurashi Rei after Kai, then rewinding back and branching off you've got Umineko and that whole universe is still ongoing if I'm not mistaken

Umineko is its own complete story and is not connected to Higurashi. Heck, spoiler[Lambdadelta was playing Higurashi at one point in the sound novels.]
So after the last OVAs, the Higurashi story is complete, and even then the OVAs were mostly filler and added nothing to the story. Is was pretty much fanservice.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:23 am Reply with quote
Koji98 wrote:
configspace wrote:

Umineko is its own complete story and is not connected to Higurashi. Heck, spoiler[Lambdadelta was playing Higurashi at one point in the sound novels.]
So after the last OVAs, the Higurashi story is complete, and even then the OVAs were mostly filler and added nothing to the story. Is was pretty much fanservice.

I haven't watched Umineko yet, since I want to finish the Rei OVAs first, so I have no other info to go by than what this says about its genealogy, which was why I thought it branched off from Higurashi:
Quote:

Umineko is the third title in the When They Cry series, preceded by Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, and followed by Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote
already watched it on funimation's website but it's still a great series.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:57 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, the dub is standard, which isn't a criticism. It may not be exceptional like Hellsing or Welcome to the NHK, but it does its job well enough. Like everybody else, I think this is a great series for several reasons, and I too hope for a license of the second season so the overall story would be complete. If this series really has been a Funimation bestseller, I would hope that someone is trying to make it happen, even if only gradually. But I also am hoping for a future license of the two live-action movies. They may only cover a couple chapters, namely Spirited Away by Demons and Atonement, thus only scratching the surface of the overall story, but they're still very well-done films in their own way. I'm a Higurashi collector (following the manga series), so I'd love it if that happened as well.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote
Brilliant anime, terrible dub in my opinion. I'd hate to have anyone turned away from this show because of the English voice acting. Like another poster said, it does sound like they made it intentionally bad for lulz. Eh, whatever. I have the box set and it's one of those shows I can watch over and over and never get tired of. The manga is also really good.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:49 am Reply with quote
I already watched the dub on Funi's youtube channel, but I've had a strong inkling to rewatch it. And frankly, I thought the dub was pretty good (and I have listened to certain parts of the Japanese to compare) - I hear complaints about Rena's VA, but I had no problems with the way she sounded. And I really liked Shion's VA - I think she pulled her off well.

I plan on buying the first season soon, and I really hope that Kai gets licensed. I'd prefer if it had the dub with the original voice cast, but I'd settle for a new voice cast or even a sub-only. Just as long as it comes over.

I'd also like for Umineko to come over some time as well, but I'm not pushing my luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seljuk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I haven't watched Umineko yet, since I want to finish the Rei OVAs first

I was generally happy with the dub. There were a few shaky moments, but I thought that for the most part the actors fit the role.

Rei is definitely not required to start Seacats. At all.

Plus, for all that is holy, READ Umineko. Take the plunge into VNs. The adaptation was awful. The only good things I can say about it are that the opening is good, and that Jessica's voice actor can really scream (in a good way). They took out a whole lot of awesome moments and a lot of details that help you understand the world. DEEEEEEEEEEN!

(edit because I can't quote to save my life.)

Last edited by Seljuk on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2