• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! All Scanlations, All The Time

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh Bandai Visual/Honneamise, you and your expensive releases with subpar video quality for DVDs. I've seen R2 rips and the legit physical R1 DVDs of Gunbuster, and boy were they not good.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
i'm not the only massive 009 fan \o/ sadly, i had to resort to 'alternative' methods to see the rest of it. i want to own this thing properly... tho i have the movie from 1980ish on dvd Very Happy *hates on sony for the lack of the rest of the series* and really, i wanted to read vol 21! (or was it 23 when francoise wants joe's babies... i forget, but it was a random one i picked up in book off a few weeks ago in yokohama...). my entire 2 week trip to japan had much karaoke with the 2nd to last song being dare ga tame ni (1979 op song) Very Happy (we ended each time with city hunter's get wild Anime hyper)

now i wanna break out my 003 cosplay...
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh Bandai Visual/Honneamise, you and your expensive releases with subpar video quality for DVDs. I've seen R2 rips and the legit physical R1 DVDs of Gunbuster, and boy were they not good.

!??! They looked like the exact same encode to me!
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Ah, 009, I remember that, sorta. This was actually an old anime I was interested in, but now I discover this sad news, well news to me, anyway.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
I would love and buy a release of 009
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
I loved the 009 comic! I've gotten to read the first three volumes of the manga, but of course being an old Tokyopop title with a yellow spine puts that one OOP (is it just me or do manga with yellow spines go OOP more noticeably?). I wasn't aware they didn't air the last 4 episodes though, that sucks, I would definitely want to see it online somewhere legally though. I can't say CN doesn't mess up and skip episodes on other things too though (like how they didn't even dub one of the episodes for Code Lyoko in season 4, and it actually was a pretty important one. Obviously they didn't bother to air it and they ended up putting the rest of the series up online when they decided to axe it off the network. And now look at CN, airing those stupid live action shows), I don't think they finished airing Astro Boy 2003 either (and I think kids WB dropped it too...at least the DVD set had them all, it seems they did dub the entire thing for Astro Boy) but just leaving 009 hanging like that? That seems cruel, why can't I get my old-school fill in this country?! It's like anything from even the 90s is hard to get now, it's really annoying because I think the old-school stuff is somehow more charming than a lot of the newer stuff.
But hey, Vertical is making Tezuka work out for them really awesomely, I wonder if it'd be possible for someone to follow their model for DVDs (albeit sub only most likely) and get some awesome older stuff that never came out in America *cough*LoGH*cough*. I'm not even that old but I want to show newer fans older stuff all the same and watch more myself.
Panon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I own both the R1 and R2 sets of Gunbuster and this is news to me as well.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
TRSI still has a few copies (26 and counting down) of the Wings of Honneamise Blu-ray/DVD combo for only $39.99. Bought mine locally for near full SRP. Need to get an HD setup so I can watch the Blu-ray.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Maybe walw6pK4Alo's "legit" copy wasn't so legit? Maybe he's allowing bias to affect his judgement? Maybe Sasquatch made him post that. You mess with the 'squatch and who knows what he'll do.

Is it wrong to be thoroughly enjoying the recent scanlation take-downs and the resulting outrage from some people? Ah, it's nice to see the Japanese and the companies here FINALLY getting to something they should never have allowed to get so bad to begin with.

Completely agree with the need for a replacement service though. Not in the sense that anyone is OWED anything but simply because it would be a wise business move. I mean, if you've got millions of people who will go to a ad-ridden site just to read scanlations, surely you can get a few of them to switch to a legit site that is equally ad-ridden and thus cash in on the ad revenue.

I do so enjoy reading Brian's responses to the whiners though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
some years ago, Bandai Visual Japan wanted to be the sort of "Criterion Collection" of anime, which is to say, releasing auteur-level products at a premium price to the delight of die-hard collectors, instead of aiming for a mass-market success.

To be fair, they initially tried to offer people a choice on the Patlabor films, but then started being dicks afterwards.

Quote:
For comparison, the Criterion Collection typically releases their DVDs with an MSRP of 40 dollars, but they're jam-packed with bonus features and documentaries and commentaries and booklets and all kinds of goodies worth geeking out over.

Yeah, but they're still over-priced, and have flipping issues on my player. [I.E. I gotta go to the menu half-way through the film, 'cus they won't skip to the next chapter on their own.]

Quote:
Bandai Visual's discs shipped completely bare-bones, without a dub, subtitled only, and went anywhere from 30 to 90 dollars.

They weren't entirely bare-boned, but the occasional pack-ins weren't worth what they charged for the discs.

Quote:
For a recent reference, their recent Akira Blu-Ray costs 50 dollars. 50! No special features or doo-dads to speak of.

Actually, there was an LE of it. And if you look hard enough, you can find it for $35 or less. Also, I actually think it's worth it on that one, given how washed-out the picture ended up being on the Geneon DVD.

Quote:
That's obviously not something they can do with titles like Gunbuster or Patlabor,

Especially when they screwed Gunbuster fans out of a f**king sequence which only sounded like a cue from Chariots of Fire!

Quote:
I hate to say that you're probably going to have to spend about 60 dollars since the only way that Bandai Visual decided to release it was packaged in with the Blu-Ray version.

It's cheaper on Right Stuf, but still over-priced for what you can get in bulk on Animeigo's site.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Please PLEASE don't listen to this guy. He is notorious for trolling whenever a BVUSA title is mentioned on this site. Both encodes look the same. You sir are incorrect. Quit spreading lies and take your hate elsewhere.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
I love the Cyborg 009 series, I wish Sony would just give us the blasted boxsets already. Couldn't they do a special order thing like Tokyopop did with Rave Master? or have sites like ANN, Hulu, YT or Crunchyroll stream those episodes? Is it really that hard?
I want to see those last four episodes in English, I've seen them in Spanish and Japanese.

With the exception of vol 9 I have much of the Cyborg 009 Tokyopop manga. Shame they didn't release the rest, but I did get the compilations that were released in Japan in 2009 for year of the cyborg. Although these compilations seem out of order which means I would have to get the equivalent of vol 1-10 just to get those chapters.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
I really wish I could find a good, affordable release of Wings of the Honneamise, too. The recent AWO podcast gave me a real desire to rewatch that movie. I guess I can always blow the dust off of my VHS copy and try to tolerate the English dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
Methinks the reason Honneamise costs the amount it does is because there's not much of an audience for it in the U.S. or Japan, and thus Bandai Visual actually loses money putting it on home video. So they only really do it as a favor to Gainax because of the titles which did make money for them down the line, like Eva.
Scirel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
I pretty much agree and follow the example of the guy in the third question, who buys every manga he reads scanlated if possible. Some manga I read scanlated has never been and will likely never be released in the US simply because it is niche, even in japan.

I admit, there are many mainstream series I read scanlations of weekly because I simply am interested in the stories and want to know what is going on.

Like him, most of my disposable income is used in manga and I pay for some manga twice, by buying both the Shonen Jump USA issues and the eventual GN releases.

Therefore, any "lost sales" on my part are negated twofold.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6