• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga: The Four Immigrants Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, really nice look at the 4-panel/funnies style comics of Japan. Never really had much interest in them before, but it was fun to read about their history.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
That sounds pretty cool actually, I love these autobiographic comics and it's easy to find on Amazon. Wonder if my library has a copy of it, sound like the kind of thing that a library would have.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
The Four Immigrants Manga is a really interesting read (both as a comic and as a historical artefact) and I'm glad to see it getting some well-deserved attention.

Anyone who's on the fence about giving it a try can see some more (and bigger) examples of the contents in Shaenon Garrity's Overlooked Manga Festival review.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this column, and this week's especially. I love learning more about the history in regards to both manga and Japan (or in this case, Japanese/American relations). Thanks so much for such an interesting article!
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
This is such a great column; I'm learning something new and interesting every time an article comes out. It's already become one of my favorite features on this site!
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thank you for telling us about this manga. I have heard some incidental stories about Japanese in California during the pre-WWII era. This manga looks like it will put it in better perspective, being as it was done during the period it was actually happening.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Jason, the management at ANN made a great choice nominating you for this column. We're glad you're up to the task. I already have 1 of your books and found it illuminating and informative. Can we assume these columns are excellent as supplemental information or updates?

As for the commentary about racism in the United States against Asians at an earlier time I don't doubt aspects of what you write are correct but I recall from reading other tomes about US history that many ethnicities which had already settled here or were still in the process of emigrating to this great land across the big pond harbored similar feelings toward those not of their own brethern.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
Jason, the management at ANN made a great choice nominating you for this column. We're glad you're up to the task. I already have 1 of your books and found it illuminating and informative. Can we assume these columns are excellent as supplemental information or updates?

If you find them informative, I'm glad. Smile I had a lot of fun writing "Manga: The Complete Guide", but due to space reasons, I didn't get to write as much as I wanted about some titles. "House of 1000 Manga" is sort of an opportunity to do that (i.e. to ramble, if you want to say it another way).

bemused Bohemian wrote:
As for the commentary about racism in the United States against Asians at an earlier time I don't doubt aspects of what you write are correct but I recall from reading other tomes about US history that many ethnicities which had already settled here or were still in the process of emigrating to this great land across the big pond harbored similar feelings toward those not of their own brethern.

Definitely. There are some stereotypical depictions of African-Americans and non-Japanese Asians in "Four Immigrants", not too different from American newspaper strips of the time. Certainly, everybody has prejudices about everybody else, and I'm not saying that it's just white people. The internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II kind of stands out as a high point of anti-Asian (and specifically anti-Japanese) racism, though. When the government is doing it, that's a bigger deal than different groups of immigrants competing with each other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1