• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime/manga which mentions/features Australia in it?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:44 am Reply with quote
I have been looking for ages for a manga/anime that features or even mentions australia in it... does anyone know of any? (not including Hetalia, though)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
In the Universal Century (i.e. original) canon of Mobile Suit Gundam, spoiler[Sydney is destroyed by a Zeon attack, reducing the city to a huge crater and creating a catastrophic shockwave.] One sees this occurring in the introduction to each of the 0079 films.

Australia is subsequently used as a battleground on at least one occasion in the official storyline, though I don't believe this is shown in the any Gundam anime.

In Mobile Suit Gundam 0083, initial episodes take place within Australian desert. spoiler[The crater that was once Sydney] is briefly displayed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote
Why? Even speaking as a inhabitant of bris-vegas I can't really see why Australia would be used as anything setting-wise. It's not as big as America nor as popular for any form of mainstream media; and the only time I've seen anime show the continent at all is when they're quickly brushing over countries that have already been invaded/destroyed/etc leaving only Japan or America or some country with a vaguely interesting culture and/or history so to speak as the setting. Australia doesn't have a half-submerged cities or celestial gods or mountain temples or ancient ruins. It's got dirt, kangaroos and the hills hoist.

So in other words no I haven't seen an anime which uses Australia as a setting in anime; I haven't seen an Australian character and I doubt I will ever see either of the two in an anime. Call me pessimistic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
I can't really name many. I know there was an Australian main character in Ghost Hunt. It is mentioned in Full Metal Panic that one of their Headquaters is in Sydney Australia, though you don't see much past a picture showing place and the rest in their millitary base. It is shown in Code Geass that Australia is not conquered, aswell as Mao was going to live there Wink . A Heroman episode showed that the aliens were going to target Australia. And there was a strange 'Koala' thing in Asura Cryin 2, but that might not count.

I might be kind of nit picking, but that is all I can think of right now.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
An indirect reference: in Gokusen, the manga, there is an exchange student at Shirokin High School. He's actually from Austria, but the students at Shirokin are generally so ignorant that, even though he tries to correct them, they think he's from Australia. They're asking him questions about koalas and such.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I know there was an Australian main character in Ghost Hunt.

You're thinking of Father John Brown, the nice young Catholic priest who's just arrived in Japan as the series begins and handles the majority of the gang's exorcisms when necessary.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
ef - a tale of memories & ef - a tale of melodies

The truth behind the setting of these anime is not revealed until late in the series - spoiler[The anime takes place in the town of Otowa, but the twist is that there are actually TWO Otowas: one in Japan and a duplicate town in Australia.]
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
LordR wrote:
I have been looking for ages for a manga/anime that features or even mentions australia in it... does anyone know of any? (not including Hetalia, though)

In the manga not simple the main character spends his childhood in Australia, which takes up a good one-third of the story. Definitely check it out if you like twisted family drama.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
It is shown in Code Geass that Australia is not conquered, aswell as Mao was going to live there Wink

Ha, I remember that. Posters were like "And again, nobody taking over the world gives a crap about Australia"
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
ef - a tale of memories & ef - a tale of melodies

The truth behind the setting of these anime is not revealed until late in the series - spoiler[The anime takes place in the town of Otowa, but the twist is that there are actually TWO Otowas: one in Japan and a duplicate town in Australia.]

I was just going to post that when I read that you already had. Completely slipped my mind. It's the same reason why Chihiro spoiler[never met up with Kei at the high school even when she started going with Renji - they were in two completely different continents.]

That said, there's nothing much past the name drop there because there's no landmark or anything shown, or no other evidence of it actually being Australia. Like I know it's explicitly spoiler[set in Australia] but there's no Sydney harbour bridge, opera house, Ularu, GBR or anything, it's just a spoiler[replaceable location called Otowa that could have been any other country outside of Japan.]

OP: are you looking for actual instances of Australian localities or famous places on display or just any name drop of Australia?
kiddtic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
It is shown in Code Geass that Australia is not conquered, aswell as Mao was going to live there Wink

Ha, I remember that. Posters were like "And again, nobody taking over the world gives a crap about Australia"

LoL I remember thinking that too. Apart from Code Geass & FMP I havn't heard a mention of Australia. I may be imagining things and I stand to be corrected but wasn't there a mention in BLOOD+?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LordR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all the replies...

well, it seems even MENTIONS of australia are rare... i'll try some of the above mentioned...

I have a theory that the Japanese hate us (and therefore wont put us in their manga/anime) because were so against their whaling.. lol joke
LordR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
LordR wrote:

In the manga not simple the main character spends his childhood in Australia, which takes up a good one-third of the story. Definitely check it out if you like twisted family drama.

I couldnt find that manga on onemanga... know where i can read it?
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
LordR wrote:
I have a theory that the Japanese hate us (and therefore wont put us in their manga/anime) because were so against their whaling.. lol joke

There was a similar thread before. "Islam in anime", I believe. I'd say that ultimately it's about how unknown to them you are, not about their dislikes or whatever. So, I wouldn't feel down if I were you.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:19 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

Hell, I would. I mean, I would be devoting my main scientists' to mass breeding those nasty Funnel-Web Spiders for deployment against all enemy military encampments world wide! Of course, I would have found a way to sterilize the advanced breed in order to prevent those arachnid-monsters from popping up in my own backyard! :-p
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2