• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Musashi: The Dream of the Last Samurai

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xScar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What makes this instantly interesting is that it is a lecture written by legendary anime director Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, The Sky Crawlers) , a creator famed for his – at times morbid and extremely analytical – obsession with war and military combat. Add to that the fact that the movie was directed by Oshii's long time collaborator Mizuho Nishikubo, the film's production staff alone make Musashi an instantly appealing proposition to a legion of dedicated anime fans.

Gah, you are so completely right. I.G + Oshii = win -- usually.
Before the movie actually made its way out on DVD/BD in Japan a few months ago, I was expecting something epic. A Musashi movie being animated by I.G could be nothing less than amazing, or so I though. Plus I had been on a recent Vagabond high, so I was really pumped up to check the film out.

The whole doc is just -off-. I could never really get into the groove of it, and like you said Tim, it might just be because I'm America and have not grown up hearing the tales of Musashi over and over again.

The music is also whack. Going off with the classic Japanese music with long streams of that drawn-out lines of lyrics. Just really seemed funky.

The movie would have been amazing if they just told a story about him, using the animation style that those few cut scenes of his battles use, but I guess Oshii just wanted to put his views out in a movie format like he's use to rather than a book.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
It just felt like some cheap, made to be shown to a class of secondary schoolers for a history lesson, documentary.
I'm sure it would be great if I was interested in the history of Musashi otherwise erm... well at least I managed to stay awake*.
It feels intentionaly overly clean, the fights have nearly no violence in them or blood. The comedy elements from our presenter again seem overly PG. It just feels like this is purely an educational film of the most boring and tedious kind. It had opertunity to keep your attention using action which it didn't use and instead just kept changing styles.

*NB I watched this at like 3-4 AM or something, my attention to detail may have faded slightly.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote
That's disappointing. I was looking forward to this. I guess it's still worth seeing but probably won't live up to my initial high expectations.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I had a feeling it being done by I.G. could end up questionable.. Studio 4°C should've done it in the same way they did Hijikata Toshizo.. That would've been incredible
Brack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote
The problem is definitely in the execution rather than the concept.

Bob Godfrey's Oscar-winning Great is probably the closest thing to it - it too uses mixed media animation, tongue in cheek narrators and song to tell the life story of a historical figure (Isambard Kingdom Brunel in this case), but it did it to much better effect.

The narrators are the big weak point in Musashi, there's nothing wrong with the vocal performances, or indeed the script for them, but the execution of the CG animation for them is glaringly sub-par.

It's still definitely worth seeing if you have interest in the subject matter or in animated documentaries, but it's not likely to convert anyone outside those interest groups.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Not that documentaries in anime style are completely unheard of – Gainax had a stab at the format in the 80s and 90s with titles like Money Wars and Otaku no Video...

Otaku no Video wasn't a documentary; it was a plain narrative with fake interviews dispersed throughout.

Quote:
...in addition to some live action footage shot on real historical locations. There are some animated sequences...Sadly, it's the latter that seems to dominate screen time.

I think you meant to say the former.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
I'd buy this.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Where and when can I buy this? The way the review was written it sounds like an anime for me.
xScar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Where and when can I buy this? The way the review was written it sounds like an anime for me.

Only in Japan and HK at the moment, I suppose.

Manga UK is supposed to be releasing it later this year, but no date has been set for a release.
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Although this just about had me at "Musashi," reading this really got my attention:

Quote:
If you have even the slightest passing interest in Japanese history and philosophy, samurai culture or even military theory and strategy in general, it's worth checking out.

I love jidaigeki and samurai culture, as it were, but the way the narration sounds with inopportune slapstick kind of puts me off.

I'd like to give it a chance either way though. Thanks for the review of this very niche-sounding title.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Unless there are two women having an awkwardly-staged hatchet fight, I'm going to pass.

(Why yes, I watched the original movies. Why do you ask?)
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
That certainly sounds like a funky mix, and one straight up Oshii's experimental alley. Too bad it sounds like it suffers from the same lack of cohesion and execution that seem to accompany his more recent work. I still look forward to seeing it, though, despite the mixed review and the increased dread of watching an ill-formed experimental film. Those types can be a real gamble: when they click, they're often memorable, and when they don't, they're often miserable. Not to mention, experiences vary...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
albanian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:

Only in Japan and HK at the moment, I suppose.

Manga UK is supposed to be releasing it later this year, but no date has been set for a release.

It was released last week. My copy from Manga UK is currently sitting on my desk waiting for the next window in my viewing schedule.
Alessa_SH1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:00 am Reply with quote
Nah the old man and his grand daughter always interrupting the segments of miyamoto with their stupid comedy felt distracting at times, just didn't fit with what they were saying about miyamoto at that moment... Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1