• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Infinite Test

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure what to comment on here, except Trinity Universe, which is what we RPGers are looking at. However, I doubt the cast will consist of very unique characters. I guess the battle system and music will tell us the truth. I doubt the story is amazing, though it had to be better than X Edge.
robo-ky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
todd your captions are the best, i lol everytime. and the screencap of that cussin robot is awesome (i've never played disegea)

i had no idea those trauma team games have become so racy, and that one doctor is a spike clone wtf

[Please avoid consecutive multiple postings. Thanks. ~Cloe]
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
Bleh Maria was the worst character in the Trauma Team game, she seriously needed a downplayed role. Not to mention Gabe and Freebird who were awful too. They ruined a neat character like Tomoe with the worst gameplay ever. The only real redeeming qualities to the game were Naomi's missions which were dark and emotional.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
Just a small point; you can tell by so much as a single screenshot that Disgaea infinite isn't a visual novel. Nor does the description sound anything like one.
Quote:
...animated character sprites..
...the Prinny's soul can jump characters any time...

VNs are srictly no interaction except multiple choice questions (& save/load, maybe some sidenotes).
They have to be writen as a novel rather than as a script (normaly over whole screen rather than in a box like that)
Don't think any have images other than stills either (excepting OP movie)
Still an adventure game tho', which to most of us makes little difference what type of adventure game it is.

Deathsmiles is fairly beginer freindly, and is designed side-scroling (sort of) so using TV type screen ratio.
Tate (being able to run your TV portrait) isn't normal on most screens and is required for proper visuals on verticle scrollers. Otherwise it ends up half sized with massive borders on the sides, this makes it harder to actually see small gaps in the bullets.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
The Trauma Team thing is probably more of the usual vetting from the Big N.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
Was it Zac that made the DFW pun?

If so, my respect level just went ++.
merr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Amanda Winn Lee didn't actually play Etna in the original Disgaea. It was Kim Mai Guest. Winn Lee routinely shows up in non-union game dubs by PCB (the people who dub Disgaea), so if she had played the character, she wouldn't have been replaced by Michelle Ruff way back when.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Every week, I look forward to new mouseover text for the pictures. Of course, I also read the reviews and everything, and I enjoy Todd's authorial stylings, but...the mouseover text is just the whipped cream on the sundae~
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Hey, we remember Quantum Leap! Oh, boy!

Haha, Deathsmiles and Trinity Universe ESRB Ratings Pending..... If it has anime scenes, just slap Rating TA and be done with it! Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
Regarding what Treasure is doing recently, this is just regular business tactics. Treasure's games no longer sell as much as they used to, so Treasure would need to take any deal it can to remain profitable. Unlike some fans, I'm sure Treasure would rather make sequels and licensed games, while still making them at exceptionally high quality, than go out of business.

Kind of like how Quizno's subs have been getting smaller and smaller--if Quizno's sandwiches stayed the same size now as they were, say, ten years ago, they would cost somewhere around the $9 or $10 range, which would drive it out of business entirely.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:34 am Reply with quote
Hm... I guess I'll get excited for Ninety-Nine Nights 2, as I remember the story quite well. I've actually been replaying it in celebration of the imminent release of the sequel.

And Crackdown 2 the week after. This is a good time for 360 sequels. It'll finally get a workout after the PS3 hogging my gaming time for the last several months.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hey, we remember Quantum Leap! Oh, boy!

Indeed- I spent most of my youth watching Quantum Leap with my diehard-fan mother. I remember it very well. Wink

I'm a bit interested in Ninety-Nine Nights 2... the original was one of the games I intended to get for my 360 back when my fiance sprung it on me (surprise Chirstmas gift), but I never did pick it up. I'm curious to see how the sequel fares- maybe I can nab both at once or something.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote
All I know about N3 II is that it'll be "exxxtreeeeemme" and feature over "one million soldiers". Hahaha, oh gosh that Konami conference was insane.

Anyways, Ninokuni (The Other World), Level-5's game for the DS that was developed with Studio Ghilbi has finally announced its second platfrom... the PS3! The game looks incredible.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
I've been running Disgaea Infinite for a bit - it starts very slow. I almost stopped playing before the "tutorial" was over. Once they actually activated Prinny's powers, the game got quite a bit more interesting, but I'm still having trouble actually caring about the plot enough to keep going back in time again.....and again, and again, and again, etc.....

Though Disgaea 2 is one of my favorite games for PS2/PSP, I cannot justify a recommendation to spend $20 on Infinite when Amazon has Peace Walker listed at only $16 more.

On Trauma Team - the article implies that the censorship only occurs on the game's cover. While I think the original art is nice and colorful, the censored one would be more acceptable to display on a store's shelf if that "Teen" rating were to actually stand for anything. I will not be surprised if some parent unsuspectingly buys their child a copy and then is shocked/horrified to walk in on that frame, but at the same time, the internet provides access to far more explicit things......I'll take my game uncensored please (thank you Atlus).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
3rd Birthday, literally the only title right now that tempts me to buy a PSP, mostly because Aya makes 90% of women in videogames look like a bunch of idiotic, oversexualized bimbos (Lenneth and her sister also have the same effect)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3