• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, June 13-19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
Wow... keep milking that cash cow, Yen Press.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
I really have to wonder just how many "hardcover graphic books" that get published every week.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
Wow, it's nice to see Negima! staying in the chart for this long. Then again vol 26 is really good.
lunaitc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
And in a show of symmetry that would make Death the Kid proud, Soul Eater volume 3 premiers at #3.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I really have to wonder just how many "hardcover graphic books" that get published every week.

The number is actually larger than some people would think. You've got all of Marvel and DC, as well as the smaller comic book publishers releasing tons of titles each week that were previously just released in periodical format, and since a large number of the people buying these graphic novels are comic book collectors, hard covers are usually always released with the highly "collectible" titles.

I like seeing that Scott Pilgrim pretty much owns the paperback graphic novel list, but I really have to wonder how those sales compare to the manga list. Wish we could see actual numbers.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Naruto Volume 47 has been on the list for 18 weeks.... I wonder will it hit 20 weeks....
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

The number is actually larger than some people would think. You've got all of Marvel and DC, as well as the smaller comic book publishers releasing tons of titles each week that were previously just released in periodical format...
Really? I had no idea that those were hardcover. All the trades I've bought were softcover. Guess I learn something new every day.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

The number is actually larger than some people would think. You've got all of Marvel and DC, as well as the smaller comic book publishers releasing tons of titles each week that were previously just released in periodical format...
Really? I had no idea that those were hardcover. All the trades I've bought were softcover. Guess I learn something new every day.

Most are releasaed soft cover, but the big names, Superman, Justice Leauge, Spider Man, anything Alan Moore, etc, usually get a hardcover version release as well for collectors. The hard cover editions usually come with some bonus incentive like extra concept art or creator notes, updated art and the like as well. For example, the hardcover edition of Superman's Red Son totally owned the paper back edition based off all the USSR propaganda art it had. Same with Neil Gaiman's Absolute Sandman editions which were sold in lesser numbers for the insane price of around 100 bucks each, but still pretty much sold out when first released.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Great to see Negima on there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Wow... keep milking that cash cow, Yen Press.

And that's without extra fees like licenses (well, foreign licenses at least), translators, typesetters, etc. They must be raking some warchest there. Like how AD Vision used to build their warchest thru their hentai division Soft Cel. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1