• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actor Takeshi Aono Hospitalized After Stroke

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
You know, I've never understood how Japan can just recast people in anime like nothing. I imagine voice acting work in Japan is like American football where you do whatever you can so you don't lose your position and get replaced.
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
You know, I've never understood how Japan can just recast people in anime like nothing. I imagine voice acting work in Japan is like American football where you do whatever you can so you don't lose your position and get replaced.

I think it's mainly because anime series have strict production schedules, that they can't just stop and wait for someone to return to work to continue the series, especially since the article stated it was unsure if he could return to work. Having a grandfather who suffered a stroke several years ago that has permanently slurred his speech, I could easily see why he might not be able to return.

My prayers go out to his family and I hope he recovers well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
My hearts goes out to him and his family for his recovery. He's a great anime VA, beside his anime voice-over, if you watch Batman: TAS, in the Japanese dub, Joker is voiced by Aono.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Araki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

..like nothing? Did you even read this?
What would you suggest anyway? Pretend his characters don't exist and go on with the series?!
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Only thing I recall but not sure about is the Japanese version of Pokemon for the character Givonni. I think his VA died and he has never be recast since, but we see the character in fantasy flashbacks from Meowth in Meowth's voice.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Truly a seiyu legend and I hope he gets well soon. I'm looking forward to hearing him in the Yamato Rebirth movie when it comes on DVD next month.

Haterater wrote:
Only thing I recall but not sure about is the Japanese version of Pokemon for the character Givonni. I think his VA died and he has never be recast since.

No, Sakaki was recast in Diamond and Pearl.
http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Giovanni#Voice_Actors
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
GRANDPA AONO! Shocked
Please recover!
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Sad I hope he is able to make a full recovery.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
My hearts goes out to him and his family for his recovery. He's a great anime VA, beside his anime voice-over, if you watch Batman: TAS, in the Japanese dub, Joker is voiced by Aono.

All of a sudden, Joker looked like Ozu from Tatami Galaxy for a second with that voice, though it's not the same voice actor...

He does it so well...
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

Uh, what? He can't physically do the work. I'm sure they'll give the roles back to him when he recovers. Mitsuishi Kotono was hospitalized in early 1993 so Araki Kae played Usagi for about 7 episodes until she got better, and Inoue Kikuko was having a baby and didn't voice Belldandy for the first part of mini goddeses but came back to the role when she was able to. It's not like you can send a football player on the field after he's had a stroke and is in the hospital either!
smokes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
damn.. the voice actor is really awesome..
Mihawk in OnePiece has an excellent voice..
hope he'll get better soon
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
What a shame, and I was looking forward to hearing his voice in the upcoming One Piece episodes. Depending if he recorded any lines for Mihawk for the upcoming episodes. Otherwise it looks like they'll have to use a substitute for Mihawk's role. And just have to hope he'll pull through.

Plus things like these happen a lot, there were occations during One Piece when certain voice actors would be unable and had to be substituted by someone else.

Ikue Ootani was temporarily unavalible as the voice of Chopper and was absent for like 10 or so episodes until she came back as the voice of Chopper.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:05 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

On the contrary. As far as recasting goes, I'm impressed with how persistently the Japanese use the same voice actors for their characters. Usually, a character has the same seiyuu throughout the media, whereas when I look at productions from other countries, this is seldomly the case.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

Uh what? They have the same VA voicing characters 40 years later. It gets kind of bad when you have people in their late 60's early 70's voicing characters in their early 20's.

Imagine if Adam West was in the role of Batman for the Dark Knight.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
Same goes for how the four remaining key voice actors of Lupin are all senior citizens. A couple of them are showing their age just from voicing their own characters.

Not an issue, but I do love seeing how various Japanese voice actors keep repraising their own anime roles throughout their whole life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2