• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rave Master Edited DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SekiGatha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop is hurting Rave fans. The manga is one of my favorites and waited in anticipation to see the anime only to see a show that rips it just apart. There is some good voice acting (Haru, Ellie, and especially Lance), but the script is terrible. Dead characters come back to life (Biz), Names are changed (Decaforce Sword instead of Ten Commandments) and all drugs and alcohol references changed just for the tweens.

Let's hope that the sales for the edited DVD is low so everybody can be happy to hear Tomokazu Seki and not DJ Milky's Music (MAN, DO I HATE HIM!!!).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wizard55

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Yes, this is pretty dumb. I was hopeing that I could see an uncut japanese version of this show since I hated the english version. It reminded me of Pokemon or something.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I do kinda find some really lame charm from the Edited dub though. I would appriciate an unedited release though.

The Ten Commandments does sound a lot cooler than what they have right now. =P

But dude, if the sales for the edited DVD are low, then they won't even bother for an unedited release. Low sales indicate to a company that any further releases would be futile and pointless. Hell. They might just drop the series entirely if no one buys the DVDs.

Amusing show though. Tokyopop never really seemed like one to edit something heavily. But I guess there is always a few.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:27 pm Reply with quote
They let Nelvana dub it. Why did they do that? They knew what Nelvana did to CCS.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
They let Nelvana dub it. Why did they do that? They knew what Nelvana did to CCS.

AHAHAHAHAHhahahahahahahahahahah....

Boy. I remember that. That was pretty bad. =/

However, the voices (not the script) on the Rave Master dub are at least pretty well fitting. CCS didn't even have that going for it. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:

No they didn't. Rave Master is in no way or form a Nelvana production. It was all Tokyopop.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, why do people keep insisting that Nelvana did Rave? They aren't in the credits, they aren't listed here on the Encyclopedia, and Rave isn't listed on the Nelvana website.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Well here's an idea:

If fans of Uncut Rave would send feedback to Tokyopop stating they would only Buy Uncut Rave, and can muster enough of a feedback response to support it, then maybe Tokyopop can be convinced to pump out an Unedited Rave Master.

Bitchin' and complaining on a message board is one thing; Taking time to write your disgust to TP is another.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:42 pm Reply with quote
But if you're gonna do a feedback campaign, better make it a written letter campaign. Companies often ignore anything sent to them digitally as worthless, so the only real way to get the point across is to sit down and write out a letter on paper, preferably legibly, with correct spelling, and correct grammer. Anything less than that would be good for nothing more than shredder confetti.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure about that, i emailed TP about the rather late <.< was a year later release of Real Bout High School

they replied saying it'd be out in feb... well it wasn't...

but at anyrate it's out now and i'm happy ^^ series done now, soem ending Oo;; hmm i guess it works duno what i was expecting hehe

say <., what's so good about rave master? The companies ar elike head sover heals about it, but to me right now it seems a bit worthless. Liek i dun understand the hype. <.< i never heard of this series until they brought it over for whatever that remark is worth.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
But dude, if the sales for the edited DVD are low, then they won't even bother for an unedited release. Low sales indicate to a company that any further releases would be futile and pointless. Hell. They might just drop the series entirely if no one buys the DVDs.

That was always the argument in the past. I find it hard to believe that any company could be that ignorant in this market, however. I mean, heck, look at CCS. Dub DVDs terminated for lack of sales, Pioneer's subs continue all the way to completion.

------RM
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:02 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
Shiki MSHTS wrote:

That was always the argument in the past. I find it hard to believe that any company could be that ignorant in this market, however. I mean, heck, look at CCS. Dub DVDs terminated for lack of sales, Pioneer's subs continue all the way to completion.

------RM

This is Tokyopop we're talking about. The same folks that made a mockery of Initial D. The same folks that has 7 or so Anime titles to their name, with only one worth bothering to mention (Real Bout High School). A company that solicits more Manga than Anime.

I wouldn't be surprised if they put out a press release stating that due to overwhelming responses to Uncut Rave Master, that they outright say "No way we're gonna do it."
Animefan16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Tokyopop can handle both anime and manga at the same time. I think they should stick to mangas.

Last edited by Animefan16 on Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:30 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
Shiki MSHTS wrote:

------RM

Still... Ususally, I wouldn't think of them thinking in such a way as "Oh look. Crappy sales. I guess we oughta go UNCUT UNCENSORED SUB. That oughta raise the sales." CCS is the only special exception I can think of where such a thing happened. And even then, it was Pioneer who saw potential in the series to release the subs. Tokyopop does seem a bit more considerate than most other companies. But saying "If we boycott the dub releases, then another CCS will happen, and we'll get our uncut bilingual releases!" seems just incorrect.

Bleh. Kinda makes me wish I stayed at that Tokyopop Panel at Otakon. I kinda just browsed in for a few mins, then left out of bordem =P.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Why do I have the feeling that there's more at work here than just a potential oversight?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3