• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maria Watches Over Us: Season 4 DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
As frustrating as the soap opera-like relationships can be, I can't help but love this show. I'm eager to see Yumi step out of Sachiko's shadow in this season and finally choose her own soeur.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
Ah, yes, the fourth season. Although with all the leading, Yumi's choice of a soeur shouldn't be too difficult to figure for anyone, the opening animation removes even the shadow of doubt. As does, I see, the box art.

Highly recommended to anyone who's sat through the previous three seasons. Doesn't work too well as a jump-in point, due how established the cast already is at this point.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:08 am Reply with quote
This is the first review I've read of the series, but a question:

What in the world is a "soeur"? Google didn't help. I don't think it means "Soeur Sourire The Singing Nun".

In reading the word, I'm getting the gist it's equivalent to suitor, but just want to know for sure.

Thanks for the review. It's nice my "Save for later" list wasn't including potential garbage. I've all 4 seasons added, and this looks like it'll be right up my alley.

Coming "back" to anime this late in the game has been extraordinarily awesome. A few titles blew chunks, but most have been very entertaining.
Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
What in the world is a "soeur"? Google didn't help. I don't think it means "Soeur Sourire The Singing Nun".

I don't know how you customized your search, but this is the first result returned by Google:

sœur - Wiktionary
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I don't know how you customized your search, but this is the first result returned by Google.

Saw it, but wasn't sure. Does the word editor used by the reviewers not allow "sœur" as opposed to "soeur"?

I'm really not trying to be difficult here. Not all of us know the origins of foreign words translated to English, even with Google's assistance.

It's not a huge issue. Just asking to be sure. Smile
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
dormcat wrote:
I don't know how you customized your search, but this is the first result returned by Google.

Saw it, but wasn't sure. Does the word editor used by the reviewers not allow "sœur" as opposed to "soeur"?

I'm really not trying to be difficult here. Not all of us know the origins of foreign words translated to English, even with Google's assistance.

It's not a huge issue. Just asking to be sure. Smile

In the context of the show, it's not a real sister or a nun, but a system at the school by which an older student choses a younger student to mentor (as one would a sibling). Some of the bonds are hinted at being romantically involved as well, but that isn't the focus of the story.

I love this show. Can't wait to pick this up. I hope there's a 5th season as well to tie up the rest of the school year.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Thanks for the review. It's nice my "Save for later" list wasn't including potential garbage. I've all 4 seasons added, and this looks like it'll be right up my alley.

Considering how much you love Aria, I think Maria will be right up your alley. It's another really relaxing show with very likeable characters. Don't worry, Marimite definitely doesn't blow chunks.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
This season left me frustrated - well, maybe more like agonizingly anxious to see more. I did feel they dragged the choice of Yumi's soeur too much as I was hoping to see them get to her third year. I REALLY hope we see another season! I re-watched the first 3 seasons before partaking of this one, and maybe that added to the feeling that the choice was dragged out. I still loved it all, I just want more!
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Considering how much you love Aria, I think Maria will be right up your alley. It's another really relaxing show with very likeable characters. Don't worry, Marimite definitely doesn't blow chunks.

Sold! Looking forward to it now.

But first, my last order, which just came in yesterday. As soon as I finish up Story of Saiunkoku, it's off to Tweeny Witches and a few others.

Maybe during this time, TRSI puts these on sale and I can use my discount
utawoutau

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the three previous seasons of this, but I don't know if I can watch anymore.

In all honesty, the only thing that got me to continue to watch this show was its strange undercurrent - the way the show builds up feels to me like it could totally end in some immensely disturbing orgy of perversion. Of course, I know for sure now that its totally not headed that way.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
I've watched the three previous seasons of this, but I don't know if I can watch anymore.

In all honesty, the only thing that got me to continue to watch this show was its strange undercurrent - the way the show builds up feels to me like it could totally end in some immensely disturbing orgy of perversion. Of course, I know for sure now that its totally not headed that way.

That would be hot and completely out of character.

Seriously, Right Stuf should liscense Shoujo Sect next and advertise it like: "In this school, Maria-sama is a voyeur."
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:

....wha?? Unless girls holding hands and smiling at each other is somehow perverted in your mind, the author of this has protested that it isn't even a true yuri series in that most of the girls (Sei is the exception) aren't lesbians, they're just BFFs. That may drive the fans who'd like to see some of these become romances totally bonkers (that includes me sometimes), but it's really about homosociability, not homosexuality.

I quit watching this once it was licensed, so I haven't seen season four. I definitely need to find it somehow. I think once my CR subscription is up, I'm going to reallocate my resources to Netflix...
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
This season left me frustrated - well, maybe more like agonizingly anxious to see more.

I agree with all that as well.

I too rewatched all three prior seasons before diving into this, and the new material was over all too soon for my tastes. I rewatch it all about once every three months. I really enjoy the characters and their interactions.

Now I have to wait and hope more gets made, and that it gets licensed, etc....

Quote:
I quit watching this once it was licensed, so I haven't seen season four. I definitely need to find it somehow. I think once my CR subscription is up, I'm going to reallocate my resources to Netflix...

I went to rate the new series on Netflix and could not find it. Sometimes things can be difficult to find there though.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
The last thing a series that gains most of it's conflict from easily misunderstood happenstances needed was a drill-haired tsundere.

Touko is totally the Scrappy of MariMite.
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll get this...if only to see if the Pizza Hut product placements are still in place, I'll get this... Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2