• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! Special Edition Part II

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
It had to be the youngsters Robin, though at least it's better than the bearded dudes in sailor senshi uniforms. I don't miss that at all.

Cosplayers are odd and plentiful.
Pokedpoker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Ahaha, well... I guess people wear all those accessories because they don't have cosplay outfits. Like, I wear anime-related hats because I don't own a cosplay outfit.

I have not seen a person dress like that in public (like randomly on days and places where there are no conventions nearby) yet, so... maybe it is a cry for attention.
DoktorZetsubou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote
Haha, this one's a classic.

Yeah... animal ears or tails and fandom pins and those kinds of things are cute as accessories, but there's a kind of demeanor and outfit that when worn with them screams "I'M AN ATTENTION-STARVED HOT TOPIC-FREQUENTING TEENAGER". Bleh.

Must admit though- personally, when I see someone downtown wearing a pair of cat ears my first thought is,
"Ah! One of us!"
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
Anime Fans: Making Trekkies and Star Wars Nerds look Cool! We are definitely at the bottom of the Fan-Nerd pecking order.

Worry and ponder no more as to why Anime fans are looked at like lepers! Mercy, our "community" doesn't do itself any PR favors.

Now, I enjoy and appreciate the time and effort fans put into good cosplay, especially when they take the time to pay attention to details and quality, but the "really irritating, rude kids" or the "desperate attention-seekers" aren't our Community's best ambassadors.
Maigraith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
I think the phrase "all things in moderation" should apply here. I don't mind the occasional tail or a pair of ears, but once they get like 10+ accessories on it just screams "look at me, look at all the neat-o stuff I have:D"
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
Whenever I see people dressed like that, I find it particularly annoying. It just comes across as being really lazy. Just wearing a Naruto headband? If you're not going to get the whole costume (and since there's a million of those running around it can't be all that hard to obtain) then don't bother at all. I appreciate good cosplay. Even if said cosplayer doesn't always have the body type for it, if they've put in the effort to assemble the costume properly then I can appreciate it. And seeing that kind of half assed attempt is really annoying.

Add to it that the fan in the comic is also the type who probably runs up to cosplayers and glomps them with a bone crushing tackle that would make an NFL linebacker jealous, and you have the complete annoyance factor going.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see "Catfox" star in a future strip. Such simple absurdity should be cherished. Sort of reminds me of "CatDog", but way more painful and yet far more topical.
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote
Some dude walked into a store I work for dressed as Link once. Just because he wanted to. I even asked him if there was a convention in the area, because I could not believe someone would just do something like that for no reason...

When he left, every single employee asked me who he was, because as the official anime fan mascot of the store, I must know every weirdo in the neighborhood. I politely went off on a tangent about how I don't have a frikkin' clue who that was, and proceeded to slam my head against a wall in the warehouse for awhile...

Seriously, people. Cosplay's fun, but inappropriate outside of the places it belongs. Same with crazy outfits.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'd love to see "Catfox" star in a future strip. Such simple absurdity should be cherished. Sort of reminds me of "CatDog", but way more painful and yet far more topical.

She did make a cameo in the 100th Strip.

And I found worse, by accident: Narutards on TLC's Mall Cops. Oddly enough, they dressed up on Black Friday.
JBFire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:16 am Reply with quote
This strip brings back horrible horrible memories. I actually dated a girl like that once and I felt very much in the same situation there. She was alright at first, but then a few weeks into starting dating, out came the wings, headbands, fox tails, cat ears, etc. I don't mind each of these things on their own, but all together in one cornucopia of crazy is where it gets a little weird for me.

Yes, I admit, they're cute, by themselves. When you are decked out in multiple items at once though and they have no seeming cohesion to each other....I don't know what to call it but it irks/frightens me.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
Could someone explain the concept of the yaoi paddle to me? I've looked it up online and I know what they're used for, but I am still completely baffled by it.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
I like yaoi and I still don't get the yaoi paddle at all.

I went to (art) college with several girls who wore cat ears 24-7. I never saw them take them off. It was an art school though and far less freaky then the tear drop piercings so I didn't think much of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fabe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Could someone explain the concept of the yaoi paddle to me? I've looked it up online and I know what they're used for, but I am still completely baffled by it.

They briefly talked about then on the last ANNcast,from the sounds of it some guy just started selling paddles with the word "Yaoi" on them.
Senna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
I feel the same about anime gear. A little is nice. A lot is ... too much.

This is the reason I've only worn my Kyo hat a few times in public (despite the fact that it really is a warm fuzzy hat with an actual purpose). That and one of the times I wore it, I was accused of stealing it, even though I was wearing it when I entered the store in question Rolling Eyes You'd think the manager would've noticed the cat-eared hat when I walked in, and not just when I walked out.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
I remember this strip. It's always a hoot. I seldom attend anime cons, so I barely know what's been happening. I attended AnimeEast (I think) back in 1995, 1996 and later Otakon in 1999. The scene then was pretty much where it should be. Except for the occasional guy dressed as 'Sailor Moon'. Now that I'm being sent on assignment by my job I've attended 'NYAF' back in 09. And while the scene seemed ok, my attention was drawn to those teen fans who were walking around wearing these get ups that consisting of dark large legged jeans with 10,000 straps and chains, dark Ts with animal eared caps, finished off with some furry tail. And I was like WTF? Robin actually did a strip like this awhile back. I've done a couple of "furry cons" as well, and...while you do meet some nice folks, there's always the occasional "pain" in your eyes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2