• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show: Saito's Impossible Hit

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Very informative article, Mike. Keep up the great work! I really felt the pleasure you had from watching and reading it in your youth. Good show!

(And man, does Carl knows his stuff or what?)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
And fansubbers still never finished Golgo either.
Maximus44

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Love the article!

You've got me interested in checking out this new series!

I own Golgo 13: Queen Bee on VHS, but i've never watched it. I picked it up from my local "mom and pop" rental store when it closed down in 2002, along with a couple of Streamline Pictures Lupin the Third cassettes, and a badly worn copy of Galaxy Express 999.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Maximus: Get the Queen bee dvd. It's got a commentary from Dezaki. Unfortunately, I think he also did commentary for the R2 for Professional, but it's OOP.

Quote:
(one of them begins with a plot to chemically induce Golgo's target to rape a family member while underneath a heavy chandelier, which Golgo then shoots, and climaxes with his double-crossing client trying to stab Golgo, only missing and accidentally murdering his own 8-year-old grandson instead),

Jeez, that would've definitely been in the 18+ section if it was an American comic.

Quote:
You're all nodding, thinking of Jean Reno shooting people in an awesome movie from 1994. But this was in 1992.

There's no doubt Reno was inspired by the anime film, though.

Quote:
I lined up at the Brattle Theatre to view the film, and I wasn't disappointed.

Of all the Streamline releases, that's the only one I missed in theaters. BTW, it's still on DVD Urban Vision. So be sure to bail out their sorry asses, if you got the cash, people. If it ups the possibility of you considering it, it also most likely inspired one of the anime scenes from Kill Bill.

Quote:
Also, I'm not at all convinced that any of the film's subsequent releases and re-releases on home video in North America are entirely legitimate, as they all seem to come from the same terrible print with the same awkward, muddy dub.

I managed to find a sub of it, but the picture sucked ass, so I gave it away to a Golgo 13 collector. For some, reason, though, the closest I can think of to a live-action Golgo 13 right now is The American.

Quote:
Fortunately good sense and good taste eventually prevailed, and Viz hit fans with a quality 13-volume release of the best Golgo 13 stories starting in 2006.

Supposedly, there's another "favorite" collection from Japanese celebrities, but we never got it. Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Not only does it take place in my home state of Massachusetts-- well, the Takao Saito America-sure-is-wacky version of Massachusetts, where you can tell you're in America because the police ask to see your gun-- but the central event happens at good old Fenway Park.

Sorry, just had to link this. Wink Anyway, Newgrounds used to have some flash games with Golgo, but I guess they took 'em down. Crying or Very sad
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In 1996, upstart anime publisher Urban Vision (whatever happened to them?) surfaced

Actually, Urban Vision is still around and even opened an online store early this year! I ordered from them and I got my DVDs in a fair amount of time (not really fast, but not sluggishly slow)... Too bad they didn't have any copies of Golgo The Professional or Wicked City in stock, nor were they selling the Vampire Hunter D animes there. Mike, get Zac and Justin to interview UV for a future ANNCast!

Moving on, I have to say it's nice to see Golgo get some love. I only saw the first three episodes of the TV series, but I did enjoy them highly. And, yes, Room 909 is just an excellent story; I love how the detective knew that Golgo was the killer, but couldn't prove it because the idea of a man being that good is just not possible in real life. I have my Sentai collection on the way right now and I'll definitely be watching that!
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I had Top Secret Episode as a kid too! We were pretty young and never very good at it (we considered ourselves lucky to get past the first sniping bit in 1 try), but it was fun! For the record- I knew he was kissing the lady, it never occured to me that they did anything else. The things we figure out when we get older...
silentjay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Mike, the releases of Assignment Kowloon from Navarre (BCI/Ronin, in the "Sonny Chiba Action Pack" and "Sonny Chiba Collection" , uh, collections.) are legit, and remastered. The English dub, however, uses the same master that's been used on the earlier version from Crash Cinema.
zarzam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Is it me or is Golgo kinda based on Illich Ramirez "Carlos the Jackal" Sachez?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_the_Jackal

Z
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Count me in as another who found Togo through the first Nintendo game. The game was so much different than others that came out around that time , it made a definite impression on me.

Thanks for the info Mike, I always wanted to see what the live action version was like, i just never got around to it.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
From what I read online from fansubber blogs, they didn't want to touch it with a ten foot pole.

I got into Golgo 13 via a friend who grew up on this type of stuff. Saw Queen Bee first and thought it was great. Even through all the stuff happening and the emotional ordeal, spoiler[Duke still killed the woman]. I ordered the first set of the TV series via Right Stuf and blazed through it this weekend. I have to admit it never gets old. Also the fact that Golgo 13 is uncaring and professional in all his cases is good imo. An assasin isn't supposed to be feeling or all angsty. Probably why today's crowd doesn't like Golgo 13 or manga/anime like it.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
zarzam wrote:
Is it me or is Golgo kinda based on Illich Ramirez "Carlos the Jackal" Sachez?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_the_Jackal

While Carlos the Jackal may have influenced Golgo 13, the series predates Ramírez Sánchez's career as a terrorist (the first Golgo 13 story premiered in 1968, while (per the Wikipedia article) Ramírez Sánchez was expelled out of college in 1970, and then joined the PFLP).

Can anyone verify that Viz's Golgo 13 collections are derived from the Japanese "best of" collections, as asserted here (see "Golgo 13 Gaku", though that title is actually for this, from which selections were excerpted for the Viz editions) and in the Anime on DVD/Mania.com thread "Viz to release only 13 volumes of Golgo 13"?
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Normally, non-completion of an obscure series is put down to the work of nebulous sub-ninjas, working tirelessly to prevent people from watching Panzer World Galient. In this case, however, I think Duke Togo may be taking matters into his own hands.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Normally, non-completion of an obscure series is put down to the work of nebulous sub-ninjas, working tirelessly to prevent people from watching Panzer World Galient. In this case, however, I think Duke Togo may be taking matters into his own hands.

Why'd you have to bring up Galient? That's a sad thing to go unsubbed.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote
I've had a sort of detached interest in Golgo 13 ever since listening to Daryl's informative review on Anime World Order. I think I've listened to that thing five times by now. For some this always seems to happen while I'm eating breakfast at work, so whenever I read or hear the words "Golgo 13" the taste of greasy bacon and toast enters my head.

.... So yeah, good article as usual.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote
Urban Vision is a weird weird company. Seriously, where is the rest of that show I can only vaguely remember about the society of people with the foot fetish. I wanted to watch that.... (I think it was called Strange Dawn or something. I have one disk of it somewhere....)

But they went on to release the Azumi live action movies and did a damn good job of giving more Ueno Aya to drool over.... (The scene where she meets that girl who invites to her to come live with her fuels my dreams... but I'll stop now....)

Did I have a point?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2