• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Secrets of Successors

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
*squeal*! It's new Dragon Quest time! I don't normally like RPGs with a lot of grinding but Dragon Quest (and Pokemon) seem to be my main exceptions. I am quite thrilled, just a week to go!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is, of course, a storyline: your extensively modified character is actually an angel, out to get (back?) into heaven by helping puny humans muddle through their miserable mortal lives

So it's "feel-good" Go! Go! Ackman, I take it? Wink

Quote:
You consider level-grinding the point, not the downside, of every Dragon Quest.

The down-side of every DQ is that I still haven't played all of 'em, 'cus SQ'Enix can't get a date for VI. Crying or Very sad
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
*squeal*! It's new Dragon Quest time! I don't normally like RPGs with a lot of grinding but Dragon Quest (and Pokemon) seem to be my main exceptions. I am quite thrilled, just a week to go!

Same here, but I've been playing Dragon Quest (back in the old days before the title got sold off, Dragon Warrior) and I must say, leveling is the best part of the game.

Since I mainly play rpg games or strategy rpg games, obviously I picked this game up a while back. I actually pre-ordered it, since I also pre-ordered Harvest Moon (free bonus, now that is a offer that is awesome.)

Probably the best column so far Todd, really enjoyed reading the column as usual. Though I must say, I too look forward to playing Dragon Quest. It's taken them three plus years to ship the game to the states, but at least it's in US.

Then again though, I've been playing games (mostly rpgs) for more than a decade and a half. And back in those days, internet was just implemented and obviously not as modern as today, strategy guides weren't exactly common, and HD, Blu-ray and memory cards weren't invented yet.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
I don't remember Silpheed being a mediocre game. As far as arcade shooters go, I thought it was pretty good. Maybe a little slow at times, but overall pretty fun. perhaps I'm a little biased in the fact that The Lost Planet was one of the first games I owned for my PS2.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
I missed the original Sin and Punishment when it came out. Will I still be able to understand the story in Star Successor without playing the first game.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:31 am Reply with quote
I figured Valkenhayn and Platinum were going to be the two other characters. And apparently Valkenhayn's Drive is called Lycanthropy. Oh, gee, I wonder what he is?

Also going nuts over 3rd Birthday
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
I missed the original Sin and Punishment when it came out. Will I still be able to understand the story in Star Successor without playing the first game.

The real question is whether you would have been able to understand the story in the first game if you had played the first game.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
Everyone is out of place until they've been in the game for a few months, and then suddenly they fit in just fine.

Also, no mention is Mischief Makers, what is this? That's probably my favorite Treasure game, because I am bad at the ones that high score people like to play.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Yes, you will. It's its own self-contained chapter.

Although you might not understand the implications of the secret ending.

Not that any of that matters really.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
I don't really recall ever having to level grind in a Dragon Quest game. Maybe in the very early games as the series was starting out, but certainly not the recent ones. Money is a different story, on the other hand... Either way, I'm loving Nintendo/Square Enix at the moment for giving the game a release date that coincides perfectly with my birthday.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:29 am Reply with quote
'Dragon Quest IX comes out sunday.'

Well world, it was nice knowing ya but I think I'm gonna stock up on supplies and lock myself in my house for about 4-5 days solid.

Bright side is I can take this to the bathroom with me. Very Happy
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
I'm playing Sin and Punishment: Star Successor right now and it's like...

Hey... this game is pretty awesome; there's like 1 million boss fights so far (not literally).

That said, it's essentially an on-rails shooter, but then combined with those spaceship games where you move your character around in order to dodge bullets.

It's pretty fun and surprisingly challenging just after 2 stages; thank god they let you continue from checkpoints and give you infinite lives (though, your score resets every time you die).

THAT SAID, I've been thinking about it and 3D would be really beneficial for games like this: there are a lot of times where I'm having a hard time perceiving how far stuff is from me and I'm never quite sure what's going to hit and what's not going to hit.

I'm assuming that Kid Icarus 3DS will solve this problem.

EDIT:

That said, I'm probably going to seriously learn Blazblue this time around (like what I did with Super Street Fighter) and I'll probably end up getting all the DLC characters for the sake of completion...

That being said, should I actually care about this game's story or story mode?

(actually, no, I shouldn't; the opening cut scene in the first game was like the anime that I wouldn't watch)
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
3rd Birthday is released only on the PSP. First, who the hell even owns one of these things and second... why isn't this game on the Wii?

Pathetic choice, Square-Enix. Really. I'd buy this game in a heartbeat if you actually put it on a console rather than a hand-held system no one owns (because they all own the DS, you know, the world's best selling gaming device ever).

No wonder this industry's tanking. It's decisions like this which have us gamers wondering what the hell they're thinking.

Sadly, this game's probably going to bust. Reminds me of the news article how Prince only wants to put his latest album out on CD... and only through newspaper purchases.

*shakes head*
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
If by "no one," you mean "about fifty million people," then sure. That's a distant second to the DS's insane 130 million installed base, but it's more than the PS3 or 360 have sold, and I hope you're not saying that releasing any games for those systems is a mistake.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
I hope you're not saying that releasing any games for those systems is a mistake.

I'm not. I'm saying releasing the game only for this unit seems rather foolish.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3